advertisement

Songs and music that makes you happy

Much of the Disco genre..
Ref Tim Lawrence's books.
I've recently purchased the excellent Men in the Glass Booth set compiled by Al Kent, a couple of the Under the Influence series (Nick the Record and Sean P) and the one of the Joey Negro Remixed with Love comps which has "Music is my Life" by Patti Labelle.

As mentioned previously, 70's disco brings an uplift.

Earth, Wind & Fire doing it right now.

Reggae, Dancehall usually works for me as well.

99 Luftballons, Nena

You know this is a song about nuclear war, right?

But kudos for choosing the German version. Apparently, Nena and the band disliked the English lyrics, and never performed them live.

To answer the OP's question: most dance music and a lot of pop music makes me happy, as long as I like the song at all. It's the default position for such music, surely?

Depends how you define dance music.
Techno?
I've danced to Joy Division many times.
Loads of post-punk...etc.
;) obviously...

Depends how you define dance music.
Techno?

Like a lot of musical categories, it morphs over time, but I'd go for the obvious, literal, definition: music primarily intended to be listened to whilst dancing.

I definitely include techno in that, but disco also qualifies.

I've danced to Joy Division many times.

Did you celebrate the irony?

More pertinently to this thread, were you happy doing it?

Loads of post-punk...etc.
;) obviously...

Well, how do you define post-punk? ;)

Kind regards

- Garry

What I meant was that Techno is not generally a happy music, though it obviously makes people happy dancing to it.
I'd be off my head whilst dancing to Joy Division so yes, very happy.
Post-punk...so Talking Heads and Orange Juice as examples.

What I meant was that Techno is not generally a happy music, though it obviously makes people happy dancing to it.
I'd be off my head whilst dancing to Joy Division so yes, very happy.

Seems that you are made happy by a lot of music that you don't consider happy.

How does that makes sense? Well, music affects us in a primitive way, sometimes differently to how our more analytic brain parts perceive it. Major key/minor key, ascending/descending melody, fast/slow tempo. And, if it somehow encourages you to dance, or do anything else that makes you happy, as sometimes happens before or after dancing, then isn't it subtly working it's magic in that way?

The thread is about 'music that makes you happy', anyway, so it's all valid I guess.

Post-punk...so Talking Heads and Orange Juice as examples.

I only asked because the literal definition is anything that came after punk. In the more common, narrow, sense, I know 'Road to Nowhere', but not much else. Although if you'll allow Blondie, I'm in.

Kind regards

- Garry

Good points...I'll stop dragging the thread OT now.
Frank's Wild Years - Tom Waits.
Despite involving murder and arson.
In fact a lot of Swordfishtrombones makes me happy.

Walking on Sunshine, Katrina and the Waves.

99 Luftballons, Nena

Hot 5s & Hot 7s Louis Armstrong - what must it have felt like to hear this music freshly minted?
I second Hot 5s & 7s. He basically codified Jazz as we know it & invented a new way of singing. Love him!

Also, if songs about young love are something that would make you happy and not sad: Allo Darlin' by Allo Darlin' is one of the more upbeat albums I like.

The Beiderbecke Collection, by The Frank Ricotti All Stars, with Kenny Baker. It's selected tracks from the three Yorkshire TV series, some great trad style jazz. It's an LP on Dormouse, DM20, if interested.

Tchaikovsky, Symphony 5 has been my go-to when I feel down since the early 1970's... It was not a popular choice when I was 17 :)

Half Man Half Biscuit always make me laugh out loud. For me the music has always been a bit average but boy has that man a way with words! Love most the music industry or footie related commentaries, of which there are many of course. To name but three: Bob Wilson Anchorman, Ballad of Climie Fisher and I was a Teenage Armchair Honved Fan. For anyone of a certain age who read album reviews in the NME in the 80s, as I did, the pure genius of 'is this the bit where we're supposed to make guitars collide'? makes me chuckle every time. In fact almost every HMHB song has some lyric to smile about.

I see you are an BHA fan, me too, I'm from Portslade, and remember the Goldstone. Now I live far away in Seattle but did just get home for the Chelsea game, alas 2-0 loss. Up the Albion!

Stu

Blockbuster/need a lot of lovin' by Sweet

I was 5 & my first vinyl record.

Wore it out on a 50's dansette thingy.

Still puts a smile on my face whenever I play it.
That opening siren always takes me back to my childhood.

Rolling Stones - whole album, "Exile on Main Street" (even has a track called "Happy")

Clash - "Brand new Cadillac"

advertisement

Back