advertisement

Songs and music that makes you happy

seagull

Seabird flavour member
I tend to prefer melancholy, sad songs. Mrs S always says that my taste in music is funereal, she's certainly spoilt for choice for when I go.

As a counter to the songs that make you cry thread( https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/songs-and-music-that-make-you-cry.231396/), how about songs that make you smile or laugh?

Here are some for me - they are not 'comedy' songs but have lyrics that make me smile...

Undertones - My Perfect Cousin and What's with Terry?
These remind me of my youth (Subbuteo) and a work colleague who was unsuccessful with the fairer sex who's name happened to be Terry (yes he wore glasses).

Madness - too many to mention

Hawkwind - Quark Strangeness and Charm and Spirit of the Age
Made me look at Einstien in a different light and some of the potiential problems with cloning and androids...
They also remind me of an extremely muddy Reading festival back in 77.

Van der Graaf Generator (yes really!) - The Sleepwalkers
There is a musical interlude in the middle where they play a dance tune which could easily have been played by a three piece house band in a run down 3 star hotel in any sea side resort in the UK to an audience of pensioners. (The song is about the undead)

[/QUOTE]

Anything by the Bonzos.
Saw them on their Final tour in Manchester.
They had Fry and Edmondson with them.
A gloriously uplifting evening’s entertainment.

Reactions: GJO

Anything by the Bonzos.
Saw them on their Final tour in Manchester.
They had Fry and Edmondson with them.
A gloriously uplifting evening’s entertainment.[/QUOTE]
Bob Kerr, who was a sometime member of the Bonzo's used to be an occasional visitor to our house when I was a kid (my father was a musician)
He, along with Diz Disley, were fantastic story tellers, and I got told off so many times for being up way after my bedtime as they told me tales full of swear words and stuff that a young boy shouldn't hear..

Pretty much anything by Louis Armstrong as he had such a love of life as to be infectious. Muggles, West End Blues, No Papa No always hit the spot.

I always find The Beatles uplifting, side two of Abbey Road stands out as does 'If I fell' off HDN. It is the sheer joy of singing in their harmonies, a kind of artless genius.

Whatever makes me happy is very mood-dependant and situational... I'll go with the concept of uplifting as I think it encompasses more music. I'm sure some of my choices will baffle some of you.

A Message to you Rudy - The Specials
Moments of Pleasure - Kate Bush
Find the Torch, Burn the Plans - Paul Weller
Buddha of Suburbia - David Bowie
Spinning Away - Brian Eno & John Cale

I guess you could give a listen to both Flight of the Conchords albums, still make me laugh after countless spins. The music is great as well. Frank Zappa as well, probably Lemme Take You To The Beach is his most straightforward inane happy stupid song.

Walking on Sunshine, Katrina and the Waves.

99 Luftballons, Nena

Hot 5s & Hot 7s Louis Armstrong - what must it have felt like to hear this music freshly minted?

advertisement

Back