advertisement

Solidsteel SS-7 stands, should I?

I received a set of these (SS-6 24” high) last week for some ls3/5a’s. I got mine in the raw finish and they have received very positive feedback from all who have seen them. 24” is a pretty common height recommended for ls3/5a’s (but it is just a recommendation- measure your desired tweeter height yourself).

Construction is reasonably thick walled steel and really quite well damped even without filling (tapping on legs you could be forgiven for thinking they were filled as ring about as much as some filled stands). Design of legs being quite a bit wider at feet than too plate makes for a very stable platform.

Expensive but can’t reccomend them highly enough. Great to see something a bit original for a change.

top plated perfect size for ls3/5a’s which is nice as tough to find small enough too plate on most stands. Top plate still works fine for my set of ProAc 1sc’s.

Go for the Solidsteel stands as these are designed for your speakers, the Something Solid stands look like a topple over waiting to happen.

Right first time rule applies here.:)

Go for the Solidsteel stands as these are designed for your speakers, the Something Solid stands look like a topple over waiting to happen.

Right first time rule applies here.:)
That’s the exact opposite to what happened when I bought some ProAc Tablette 10s last year. I got some SolidSteel SS6s and while they sounded ok there was just far too much black metal and the little speakers looked a bit odd on them. I was recommended Something Solid stands, rang them up and they agreed to make me a pair of stands, which was the last pair they made. They look, to me anyway, far better and take up a lot less space, and you can get the speakers closer to the wall. Once spiked through the carpet they are rock solid, despite the small footprint, and because they are solid there is no fluffing about with Atabites. It will be interesting to see what Something Solid produce in future; I thought that they’d stopped for good.

It will be interesting to see what Something Solid produce in future; I thought that they’d stopped for good.

I sensed that the dealer was being optimistic;) When I asked if it was better that I keep checking their site for the new design or they email me, they went for the former.

Do you think the SolidSteel stands would have been better in white?

Custom Design are here in Newcastle and I know they would make something bespoke at the roughly the same cost as the SolidSteel SS-7. However I can't see a return being an option if I took that route.

I think the best option for me is to buy the SolidSteel from a dealer who will accept a return. Then, if they don't suit, talk to Custom Design.

That’s hard to say, as white just wouldn’t look right in our room. The SolidSteels just look a bit overdesigned. I did try some Custom Design but wasn’t impressed. They were almost impossible to level, and the top wasn’t true, so the speakers rocked. Maybe it was a dodgy example that I borrowed but they just seemed a bit dodgy. The new Atacama Nexxus looks very nice and isn’t expensive either. They will be introducing alternative heights in the future so they may be worth a look.

They have arrived but I’m not home until Sunday. Time to try convincing myself that sand is as good as Atabites;)

I do like the look of these stands but their footprint is larger than I would like…

(and they’re probably better suited for larger stand mounts than my tiny Tablette 10 Sigs… Now… a bigger lounge and a pair of D2Rs, that’s a different story)

unless you have a stability issue, they really don't need filling

You are right they don't.

I do like the look of these stands but their footprint is larger than I would like…

(and they’re probably better suited for larger stand mounts than my tiny Tablette 10 Sigs… Now… a bigger lounge and a pair of D2Rs, that’s a different story)

To be fair at 158mm deep the Tablette 10 Sigs would be an aesthetic challenge for most stands. I wouldn't rule the SS series out for most small speakers.
  • Being a tripod they occupy a similar, or smaller, space to a square at the base. Its just in a different configuration.
  • Being completely open at the base they don't look heavy.
  • If you have a white background, the white ones are especially inconspicuous.

The top plates are 160 square and the stands narrow to less than that, so even my Falcon Q7s look big enough to justify what is going on below.

Really glad I got over my misgivings, I feel that I've completed an important search for part of my endgame system. Just a 4 tier stand needed now, compared to the SS stands the Solidsteel equipment support offerings look quite pedestrian.

They're nice stands for sure. I borrowed some (SS6) for some home demos a while back and they look the part, while isolating the speakers and offering good support.

The looks do divide opinion though, my Mrs hated them.

I heard Falcon LS3/5as on top of these stands (powered by Primare i35) and they were the best I've heard from LS3/5as

That pairing did get a lot of praise, which is what encouraged me to buy the SS-7 for my Falcons. I like the stability that 3 feet - rather than 4 - provide. Expensive but they’re a longterm purchase just like the speakers:

XhjDd6O.jpg

That pairing did get a lot of praise, which is what encouraged me to buy the SS-7 for my Falcons. I like the stability that 3 feet - rather than 4 - provide. Expensive but they’re a longterm purchase just like the speakers:

XhjDd6O.jpg

Looks great!

advertisement

Back