advertisement

Solidsteel SS-7 stands, should I?

raysablade

pfm Member
I'm thinking of forking out £560 for a pair of Solidsteel SS-7 stands to sit under my Falcon Q7s. Apart from the eye watering price and pitiful residuals, can anyone suggest a reason why not and, if not, what should I be looking at.

The original plan was custom height Something Solid XF mkII stands, unfortunately the makers are retooling for a new line and there is no indication as to either; when they will back in production or what they will be producing when they are. A big plus for the SS-7s is that they are the custom height I wanted and the colour, white, that I was going to specify.

Have always liked the aesthetic. Silly question given branding - are they indeed solid/filled? If so, I imagine they'll do nicely.

They are hollow but thick none the less and allow filling with Atabites if required, around 5-6kg filling between the two stands is plenty ime.
They look great, are extremely well made and they allow the speakers to get tight against the rear wall if required.

I’m not a fan of high mass stands as it goes. I find they tend to mess with the bass, and when they do, it’s not a good trade off. I’d rather have less, but tighter, faster and more tuneful bass, and to get that I wouldn’t usually look at massive stands first.

I absolutely recommend them, they are the best stands I've had up to now.
I also have them in white and they rather nicely disappear or blend in with the white wall behind them.
For testing I had the left speaker on the solid steel and put the right on a chair at the same height.
When playing music I had the impression the right speaker wasn't working at all,
the articulation was so much better on the left that from 1 meter distance
I clearly had the impression only the left speaker is playing music.
Only when putting my ear really close to the right speaker I realized it's actually running, too.
Astonishing effect, I didn't expect it to make such huge difference.
Volume was exactly the same on both channels obviously.

Quasi stuck to the speakers with a blutac like white substance, they really let the speakers do their best.
I absolutely love them , I know it's a bit hard to drop that kind of money on 'just' a stand,
but once you've done it, absolutely no regrets.

I had white ATC SCM7s on them first, really looks the part & never heard the SCM7 that good.
Now have -also white- 3-ways on them and that's quite a bit better still.

You should.

I use them under my LS50s.
Excellent design though I don't recall paying north of £500 for them - perhaps the prices have shot up.

A bit fiddly to fill as you have to funnel the sand or 'bites' into the spike thread holes, but do-able with some patience. They sound great with or without filling but you might find the empty stand a little easy to topple with a heavy speaker on top, and a bit of mass loading helps there.

I see your point, imagine they can make them taller though - personally I find the SS7 to be the perfect height for the ls3/5As .. 70ish cms

advertisement

Back