advertisement

Sodastream

Not keen myself, but I think I'm correct in saying that the water should be chilled before attempting to carbonise it, as that way it will more easily 'hold' the CO2.

Not keen myself, but I think I'm correct in saying that the water should be chilled before attempting to carbonise it, as that way it will more easily 'hold' the CO2.

I understand that is the way recommended by SodaStream themselves. Seemingly, I appear to be unsuccessful with our device. Admittedly I haven't used ours for a few years, so I might go back and try again.....

Great for putting some fizz into cocktails. Make a Moscow mule with ginger syrup rather than ginger ale, then carbonate. Gives much more control over sugar/sweetness. One that I am keen to try (but not sure I'll buy a sodastream just for the purpose) is to dilute Swedish Tonic syrup (the only one I've found so far, I'm sure there must be others) with some water, add gin, then carbonate.

Mine arrived on Sat. I do recommend chilling the water.

Carbonates really well, just in time for the next heatwave.

Inwa
few here: https://www.masterofmalt.com/search/#search=tonic%20syrup&page=1&sort=_score&direction=desc

Not really used by mixologists to make a tonic water substitute, but used to add tonic flavours to cocktails without adding the water.

I know very well how mixologists use the syrups - the one I proposed and others (but this Swedish stuff is the only tonic one I’ve come across, I haven’t gone looking) - and I wasn’t actually proposing a G&T alternative. I didn’t explain clearly. So far I’ve used it for what you could call a G&T martini, which is more in line with what you indicate, and it works well. Next step, carbonate that!
Thanks for the link.

Inwa

I know very well how mixologists use the syrups - the one I proposed and others (but this Swedish stuff is the only tonic one I’ve come across, I haven’t gone looking) - and I wasn’t actually proposing a G&T alternative. I didn’t explain clearly. So far I’ve used it for what you could call a G&T martini, which is more in line with what you indicate, and it works well. Next step, carbonate that!
Thanks for the link.

Ah yes, a bar in Soho that I know well had them on their specials menu a couple of years ago.

advertisement

Back