advertisement

Sodastream

philsparks

pfm Member
We get through loads of sparkling water. Just cheapo fizzy mineral water from Lidl. Stops us drinking as much wine and beer.

However chucking away a 2litre plastic bottle every day or 2 doesn't feel right, even though it goes into the recycling.

Wondering if we should buy a sodastream. It's the coldness and fizzyness that appeals not the basic water taste.

However I hadn't realised they'd be £100 or so, plus gas canisters. That's a lot of 35p lidle water. And then you have to chuck away the canister which presumably isn't recyclable.

Anyone else been through this dilemma and what did you conclude.

Cheers Phil

We get through loads of sparkling water. Just cheapo fizzy mineral water from Lidl. Stops us drinking as much wine and beer.

However chucking away a 2litre plastic bottle every day or 2 doesn't feel right, even though it goes into the recycling.

Wondering if we should buy a sodastream. It's the coldness and fizzyness that appeals not the basic water taste.

However I hadn't realised they'd be £100 or so, plus gas canisters. That's a lot of 35p lidle water. And then you have to chuck away the canister which presumably isn't recyclable.

Anyone else been through this dilemma and what did you conclude.

Cheers Phil

You don't chuck away the canister - you return the empty one and exchange for a full one, and pay a fee for the gas/service. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8358345

As it happens we stopped using ours as it didnt carbonate the water enough for me and we returned to buying bottles. We are now buying glass bottles of sparking water - San Pelegrino

I am wondering whether we should try again with the soda stream, but I think I need a new gas canister.

We are seriously considering whether we should get one of these (the pro version) under our sink https://www.grohe.co.uk/en_gb/kitch...KioPksNY3Ip-lT74ZNxoCgL0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We currently have a Brita under sink filter and tap for drinking/coffee/cooking water and we chill the water in reusable glass bottles in the fridge. My wife is happy with still, but I much prefer sparkling.

I would say that my Sodastream carbonates the water more than SAN Peligrino, which is one of the least carbonated waters. Although my favourite.

Everyone I know who's tried it sang its praises when they first got it, and tried to proselytize. I don't know anyone who stuck with it for even a year. The apparatus ends up in the cabinet with all the other kitchen gadgets that fell out of favor.

As always happens the "pinkfish mind" comes up trumps. Thanks guys. That settles it. I'll stick with Lidl's 35p bottles

I saw a few vintage soda syphons which looked really cool in a 1920s art deco way, but the little 8g gas canisters worked out at approx 60p for each bottle .So again stick to the cheap fizzy water.

I just hope that the local council really are recycling them.

I would say that my Sodastream carbonates the water more than SAN Peligrino, which is one of the least carbonated waters. Although my favourite.
Mine does too. But we oversquirt it. Looks alive when we take it out. Her indoors has used it for many years to put soda water in wine and now the kids use it a lot too.

We had the same issue, flat soda water in the fridge that we had paid for in the supermarket was really annoying.

I am sure that the range was selling sodastream for like 30 quid all you needed then was the bottle.

I have mine at work. Ice cold water, couple of squirts. Drink.

You can get good deals which include 2 cylinders of CO2, three bottles for about £60.

We have had one for 3 years and we love it. The cylinder lasts us about a month and is about $15 for an exchange. No more lugging big bottles or cans back from the store, and combined with a PUR filter jug to remove the chlorine and slicies of lemon / lime it's the best tasting seltzer water we get anywhere. Between us we probably go through about 1.5 liters a day of water.

I just hope that the local council really are recycling them.

You can be pretty sure they are not being recycled unless recycling means shipping it to somewhere else, this has been all over mainstream news and social media. No one should be using single use plastics. Okay, It's really difficult to avoid when grocery shopping but buying bottled water, really? the stuff comes flowing out of the tap, I know in some places it requires filtering but filters are not that expensive and neither is a soda stream.
Another thing is 30 years ago the only bottled water I knew of was 'Kali Water' , yes Perrier might have existed and been available in London, but the whole bottled water industry did not exist and really there's no necessity for it.

We were drinking loads of bottled sparkling water until recently (mostly Badoit), but we decided to make an effort to reduce our plastic consumption and bought a Sodastream. We filter the water before it goes in (I tried it unfiltered but I didn't like it) and keep a few bottles in the fridge.
No regrets...

I complained about the lack of a good strong fizz in the Prime day thread re the recent purchase of a Sodastream, -- I have now discovered the error of my ways, I was not pushing the black button down past the first pressure point, press it further and the gas really flows. However the simple instructions are a little too simplified.

Evian was the most common bottled water when I was a little fulla. In the mirror it reads naive.

I have about half a dozen soda stream gas bottles I collected from charity shops. I refill them from a big cylinder, and use them for my soda stream and also to dispense the kegs of beer I brew.

I complained about the lack of a good strong fizz in the Prime day thread re the recent purchase of a Sodastream, -- I have now discovered the error of my ways, I was not pushing the black button down past the first pressure point, press it further and the gas really flows. However the simple instructions are a little too simplified.

Indeed. I think anyone who finds that their Soda Stream isn't carbonating enough need to push the button harder.

We got one because of the plastic bottle shame we were feeling - half a dozen bottles a day, and we all know it's not being properly dealt with. My favourite was Highland Spring and I find the water from the Soda Stream to be just as good. I also add lemon / lime and sometimes a dash of lime cordial and I love it.

Cost wise, if you keep using it, it'll pay for itself in no time. Not lugging loads of water from the supermarket is a bonus too, as sean99 says.

advertisement

Back