advertisement

Socially Distanced Record Store Day

Did anyone take a punt on the Rollins triple? Curious as to how good it is. I’ve heard some say it’s basically one album of very good studio sessions and two bootlegs, which doesn’t really appeal given the high price.

I took a pass on the Comet Is Coming as £23 for a fairly short remix 12” single is just taking the piss IMHO. I didn’t buy anything from this Black Friday thing.

PS The bargains are on bandcamp IMO, I’ve snagged/pre-ordered many things from the current London jazz scene that are limited to 300-500 or so.

I went for it. It should be available for me to pick up in store next week. I hadn’t read the reviews of sound quality before I ordered (obviously) but I’m hoping that the people on Steve Hoffman are exaggerating any issues. I’m not expecting studio quality.

I also tried for the Bill Evans, but someone else bought it between me adding it to my basket and checking out.

Incidentally Ken Micallef recently posted two video interviews with the boss of Resonance records who did both of these reissues.
https://youtu.be/INNWwhq4tfs

It’s real hit and miss IMO, always some wonderful stuff to be found in amongst a load of over-priced over-hyped junk.
I ought to make it clear that it was specifically the Black Friday events he was referring to as poor value.

A lot of it isn’t limited in any real sense either, e.g. anything from say Bowie is limited to what they think it will sell, e.g. plenty of copies of 2018’s Welcome To The Blackout are still available now (check discogs). Great album and well worth having, but it isn’t a limited edition in any way, and no way in hell would I queue up in the rain for a copy. By saying that I was surprised and absolutely delighted to get say the signed Ron Carter.

I’ve never queued up, even in the olden times when you could. I turn up at around 11 when the rush is over see what they have left.

Incidentally the second volume of the Ron Carter is available on CD...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FP9NWKZ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hmm. These things are becoming increasingly hit and miss. Some bargains but mostly not. This time around I fancied The Bangles' 'Doll Revolution' double vinyl but at £48...perhaps not. I'll stick with my CD copy bought at the time. Shame.

Did anyone take a punt on the Rollins triple? Curious as to how good it is. I’ve heard some say it’s basically one album of very good studio sessions and two bootlegs, which doesn’t really appeal given the high price

I picked my copy up today. Side 1 is good stereo, side 2 the same but in mono. I think the SH forum ‘bootleg’ comments for the remainder is overdoing it a bit. I’d liken it more to a 50s Charlie Parker issue. The first LP is by far the best sonically, but the band is steaming on all of it, so overall I’m pleased with the purchase.

When I visited my local store owner last month to pick up my RSD Mingus he told me that was his view on all the Black Friday releases every year. He said he tends only to get things that people have asked for on that occasion as they are simply not good value. Of course that didn’t stop me asking for the Bill Evans and CIC as I am a sucker.
Looks like I got them both - collecting on Saturday.

I have been looking for the Allman Brothers Fillmore West (RSD version) but can only find it on ebay usa but shipping it way over the top for one vinyl record

I picked up the Bill Evans and CIC today. Chatting to the shop’s owner brought home with a jolt how lucky I am to have a life virtually unaffected by Covid. The poor guy’s parents both contracted it despite only going outside for walks, and his father has died recently as a result. Added to which his shop is in Tier 3, and on the first floor of a building with a bar/coffee shop below. That is closed, so his customers have to call him from outside so he can come downstairs and let them in. And if he already has people browsing he can’t of course...

advertisement

Back