advertisement

Socially Distanced Record Store Day

The UK releases for Black Friday are up - Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Sonny Rollins among the ones that interest me...

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/black-friday-2020/
You must have failed to spot ‘Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.’ In fact as RSD now seems to be a monthly event that would have been better released with the next drop, presumably timed for Boxing Day.

I suppose I’ll be there for the Bill Evans (again) and get The Comet Is Coming while I’m at it.

The UK releases for Black Friday are up - Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Sonny Rollins among the ones that interest me...

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/black-friday-2020/

I was skipping through the releases thinking what a load of boring tosh, and then this classic album which has never been released on vinyl appeared. That's a certain buy for me.

41fz2paRTTL._AC_.jpg

The one I'm looking out for is Aimee Mann's 'Bachelor No.2' on double vinyl for Black Friday RSD. I'm not sure if it'll be released in the UK though, but with 5,000 copies being pressed, hopefully it won't be too difficult to get hold of a copy.

My copy of the Jansen/Barbieri/Karn album turned up today. It is rather good, I assume the gig was recorded right at the end of Mick Karn’s life. I’ve always been a huge fan of his playing, so interesting to hear a late-period example. Japan were always a ‘next-level’ band, just staggering musicianship all round, and that is evident here with Steven Wilson tastefully filling in on guitar (I’m no great Porcupine Tree fan but he does fine here). The vocals are pretty weak, but they are thankfully few and far between, it is largely instrumental. The gold vinyl pressing seems fine, though as ever I cleaned before playing.

One thing I’m noticing of late is hardly any 2020 vinyl comes with a download code. Fine if you buy from Bandcamp as its just there on your account, but I don’t think any of the RSD stuff I’ve bought has had one. I’m personally not bothered as I’ve now come to the conclusion I’m sticking firmly to physical media until I’m too old, frail, or if I ever need to free up some of the cash I have so sensibly invested! At that point I’ll likely tolerate subscription streaming, but I’m certainly not bothered at present. I stopped ripping CDs a couple of years ago unless I really wanted that title on the iphone for public transport, but given that is a toxic environment/no-go area now it is irrelevant. I’ve gone back to buying vinyl again and I’m happy with the quality at present. It seems much better now than a decade ago.

If anyone is still after a copy of the Mingus Ah Um double from the last RSD I know where there still is one at £35 plus postage (or was at lunchtime). Drop me a pm and I’ll give you the store’s phone number. (They have no online presence.)

Last edited:
That's cool :cool:

I never really stopped, but I was mainly just filling gaps when out and about second-hand buying for the pfm shop. Now that is no longer safe, and it being the thing I miss the most due to sheltering, I’m compensating by buying an absurd amount of new vinyl! Much helped by discovering such a great jazz scene in That London, just so much amazing stuff to buy at the moment. I really have spent a stupid amount this year, but it’s money I’m not spending elsewhere as I can’t go out other than cycling!

I never really stopped, but I was mainly just filling gaps when out and about second-hand buying for the pfm shop. Now that is no longer safe, and it being the thing I miss the most due to sheltering, I’m compensating by buying an absurd amount of new vinyl! Much helped by discovering such a great jazz scene in That London, just so much amazing stuff to buy at the moment. I really have spent a stupid amount this year, but it’s money I’m not spending elsewhere as I can’t go out other than cycling!

Tony, if you're not across it already, I'd check out the Blue Note: Re-imagined double set that came out today. Picked my copy up earlier Reworkings of some BN classic tracks by a variety of artists from the young British jazz scene. 6 Music have been all over it for weeks now, but I've been taken aback how this sounds. Fantastic recording on Blue Note/Decca

Went to X Records in Bolton this morning to try and get the two releases I was interested in only to find they were shut.

However I managed to buy both when online sales started at 6pm. Dexter Gordon and Miles Davis, both showing as out of stock after I placed my order, so I think I was very lucky.

I forgot completely about this! Just managed to snag a copy of the K&J Stonebone CTI from Wax & Beans. IIRC this was the only title that interested me.

PS Not seeing much on the Black Friday list, possibly just The Comet Is Coming 12”. One thing I agree with the Jazz Shepherd on YouTube about is far too much of RSD is inessential out-takes etc and really money is far better spent on artists’ core catalogue, e.g. whilst the Evans and Rollins is tempting, I do have noticeable holes in my collections of both artists that would be best filling first.

Went to X Records in Bolton this morning to try and get the two releases I was interested in only to find they were shut.

However I managed to buy both when online sales started at 6pm. Dexter Gordon and Miles Davis, both showing as out of stock after I placed my order, so I think I was very lucky.

Any sign why X was shut? I was only in there on Monday for a productive (=expensive) visit.

advertisement

Back