advertisement

So...

Until you call it rigour. Then it's attractive. If I were really pedantic, I'd draw attention to the posters who write "your" when they mean "you're." The perception that some of these people actually hold down jobs and own expensive cars and watches is quite chilling.

How arrogant - I shouldn't be surprised though. Maybe it is a generational thing! Unless of course your joking :D

I have a question for the computer boffins here. Why do Waldteufel and ClaraBannister resolve to the same IP address and host?

I studied the critter sciences so I can explain in excruciating detail why the tuberous bush cricket has the biggest balls of them all, but even basic computer stuff often boggles my mind. Is there a Richard Daystrom in the fish tank?

Joe

It's because the Internet is running out of space. Soon you'll be forced to share an IP address and host with Paul R. Ragaman and merlin will be paired, and FireMoon will be rehoused within the Pentagon's IT infrastructure. Eventually, the entire population of the world will share the same IP address, and we'll all be sockpuppets.

That's the dumbed-down version. Nobody wants to read about packet switching and that.

Joe,

I knew there was a good reason, but I'm surprised no one is asking about the huge cricket balls.

Joe

Um, ah, well, so, y'know, I thing all these usages are, y'know just part of, y'know, everyday speech, and I, er, y'know, think that we should, y'know, simply, ah, get used to them.

Until you call it rigour. Then it's attractive. If I were really pedantic, I'd draw attention to the posters who write "your" when they mean "you're." The perception that some of these people actually hold down jobs and own expensive cars and watches is quite chilling.

Plus 'there' and their' and the plurals formed by punctuation (the greengrocer's apostrophe) plus other baffling aberrations of English like page-long paragraphs which are all but incomprehensible; nor do the perpetrators wish to be educated, which again is baffling.

Plus 'there' and their' and the plurals formed by punctuation (the greengrocer's apostrophe)

Should it not be greengrocers' apostrophe, as more than one greengrocer uses it?

Greengrocer looks really weird. Greengrocer. Why not greenmonger?

Incoherent English has its place. Can you imagine this scene with the Dude speaking the Queen's English?

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, ah, well, so, y'know, I thing all these usages are, y'know just part of, y'know, everyday speech, and I, er, y'know, think that we should, y'know, simply, ah, get used to them.

Have you been watching Fargo ?

Incoherent English has its place. Can you imagine this scene with the Dude speaking the Queen's English?

Joe

I begin to understand when and how Trump acquired his distinctive take on English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clara (my friend, who is visiting this afternoon and logged in with my computer, hence the IP address) wishes to thank whoever is responsible for upgrading her from a junior member to a pfm member). She wasn't sure if her membership were (note the subjunctive) still active, and says hello to all her old friends and foes.

Hey, just noticed I'm a pfm member now too. Does this happen at 50 posts? If so, shouldn't Clara be something more senior? She hopes she's not been demoted for knowing the words of the Horst Wessel Lied.

Joe,

I knew there was a good reason, but I'm surprised no one is asking about the huge cricket balls.

Joe

We had a joke at my prep school about the man who was walking down a road and found a cricket ball. Further along, he found another cricket ball. A bit later, he found a castrated cricket. Don't know if this works in Canadian.

Not sure about this subjunctive lark, and that 'were' sounds odd. This is one of the four conditionals, as it's called in E.F.L. (English as a foreign language). ("mutter mutter" as I go to my stack of text-books for the zero conditional; it's been a long time !:))

Clara (my friend, who is visiting this afternoon and logged in with my computer, hence the IP address) wishes to thank whoever is responsible for upgrading her from a junior member to a pfm member). She wasn't sure if her membership were (note the subjunctive) still active, and says hello to all her old friends and foes.

Hey, just noticed I'm a pfm member now too. Does this happen at 50 posts? If so, shouldn't Clara be something more senior? She hopes she's not been demoted for knowing the words of the Horst Wessel Lied.

This is uncanny, before I saw your post- I was going to ask, you're not Clara Banister are you?

advertisement

Back