advertisement

So who’s put their heating on yet ?

Latest research by Cardiff uni...below 18c creates risk of heart attack/stroke due to blood thickening.
That's not exactly new information. It's why hospitals are always so stiflingly hot, recovery rate goes up with temperature to a point much higher than 18C. Amongst the general (non sick or frail) population it does rather depend on clothing worn and activity level. People who work outdoors in the UK spend most of their lives below 18C without incident, mostly because they wear sufficient clothing. With declining activity and temperatures significantly below that it does get difficult, some of the butchery factories where I've worked run at 8-10 deg C with only moderate activity levels, it's very difficult to wear enough clothes to stay warm. This was evident during Covid, chilled food factories became reservoirs of infection and elevated transmission rates for a variety of reasons related to the indoor temperature.

Amongst the general (non sick or frail) population it does rather depend on clothing worn and activity level. People who work outdoors in the UK spend most of their lives below 18C without incident, mostly because they wear sufficient clothing. With declining activity and temperatures significantly below that it does get difficult,

Yep, I used to perfectly content working outside in very cold temps as long as I was active in the various jobs ive had and I continued to head out on the mtb camping/bivvying/riding throughout the winter in Scotland whilst wearing shorts - my record low was doing a 3 day winter winter self supported coast to coast stage race 15 yrs ago when the temps were below freezing for the entire race and it dropped to -15 overnight in the cairngorms with a bivvy bag, down sleeping bag and insulated down trousers/jacket, now that I have spms with minimal ability to move to generate muscle heat I really feel the cold at all times and if the house drops much below 20degrees I seize up and clonus sets in. My stove is lit first thing in the morning as house temps drop (was 14 degrees this morning) when I wake up and I'm sorta happy when the house is 24 degrees or above.

I tend to have out heating set at 16C but then I'm pretty much always wearing fairly warm hillwalking gear due to dog walking duties.

I caved last night, turned up the thermostat and it clicked in at 15 degrees. When we left swimming last night it was 9 degrees but felt much colder, I’m really starting to feel the cold as I get older.

Cheers BB

'I’m really starting to feel the cold as I get older.'

Me too. I'm 65 now and this time of year I feel like it. My knees really don't like the damp.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced indoors thermometer that's vaguely accurate (apparently a lot of the ~£5 LCD ones on ebay et al are pretty bad)? I'm just after something that's basic and accurate, it doesn't need to be professional or suitable for a lab :)

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced indoors thermometer that's vaguely accurate (apparently a lot of the ~£5 LCD ones on ebay et al are pretty bad)? I'm just after something that's basic and accurate, it doesn't need to be professional or suitable for a lab :)
I got one of these when we had that crazy hot spell in the Summer.
Mechanical Thermometer Hygrometer with Bracket Indoor, ACAGET Dial Thermometer-Hygrometer Monitor, Hanging Temperature Gauge Humidity Meter Thermometer for Room Office Hotel Wall Greenhouse : Amazon.co.uk: Garden

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it seems to have remained pretty consistent and broadly aligned with our CH thermostat, so 'good enough' would probably cover it. The hygrometer is a bit of fun, and no idea if it's accurate but it's instructive.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have one from Ikea, accurate to within less than 1 deg C compared to my thermostat. Same goes for a German supermarket job I bough over 10 years ago which had an inside/outside feature. The outside bit has long since died, the cable fell apart in the sunlight, but the main item is still fine. On this basis I'd suggest that anything you buy in the UK from a reputable supplier or a bricks and mortar shop will be "adequate".

Farnell do a basic one for under £2, i've got an old mini / max that agrees with my Lidl digital job which also shows RH plausibly. Don't rely on it's weather forecasting though.

I have one from Ikea, accurate to within less than 1 deg C compared to my thermostat. Same goes for a German supermarket job I bough over 10 years ago which had an inside/outside feature. The outside bit has long since died, the cable fell apart in the sunlight, but the main item is still fine. On this basis I'd suggest that anything you buy in the UK from a reputable supplier or a bricks and mortar shop will be "adequate".

Sounds like my Lidl one, i put the outside unit on the sound system to keep an eye on RH.

Farnell do a basic one for under £2, i've got an old mini / max that agrees with my Lidl digital job which also shows RH plausibly. Don't rely on it's weather forecasting though.
Those Lidl digital thermo/hygrometer things were OK, I bought one for my parents some 15 years ago or so. It died after 5 or 6 years but it was a useful thing while it worked and reasonably accurate. Accurate enough, which is the goal, rather like the speedo in the car. It doesn't need a daily calibration once you know it's reasonably close to the truth.

A cheap alcohol thermometer would work and needs no power supply...

Seems to be a steady 16C in my living room with intermittent background heating on, but less in the kitchen-conservatory where my home office is. I don't mind it cool and it's certainly preferable than the overheated office at work, but it helps keep damp at bay in the house to keep to a reasonable minimum.

The cats have discovered that the laptop is a cosy heat source, and take it in turns to sleep on top of it (I use a separate monitor) :)

That's not exactly new information. It's why hospitals are always so stiflingly hot, recovery rate goes up with temperature to a point much higher than 18C. Amongst the general (non sick or frail) population it does rather depend on clothing worn and activity level. People who work outdoors in the UK spend most of their lives below 18C without incident, mostly because they wear sufficient clothing. With declining activity and temperatures significantly below that it does get difficult, some of the butchery factories where I've worked run at 8-10 deg C with only moderate activity levels, it's very difficult to wear enough clothes to stay warm. This was evident during Covid, chilled food factories became reservoirs of infection and elevated transmission rates for a variety of reasons related to the indoor temperature.
Seems you haven't read the Cardiff research. It is concerned with risks, not with vulnerability under multifarious conditions.

Somafunk (post #383 upthread) is even further off the point.

I've read the BBC article. Have you read the original report?

I know. It's going to talk about risk. However that risk varies with clothing and activity, for obvious reasons.
Boris Johnson once locked himself inside a standup freezer. Who let him out?
Not me.

advertisement

Back