advertisement

So who’s put their heating on yet ?

I should disclose there is a bit of a competition going on between me and and one of my work colleagues over who can tolerate the lowest house temperature. He's a tough competitor - wears a fleece jacket to bed. Hopefully this won't all end in burst pipes.... :)
Easily resolved. Just lie. "10 dev C and you're going to bed in a FLEECE! If I'd known you were going to cheat, well... Y'see my place is at 9, at least once the sun's been up a few hours, but I only put a sweater on first thing."

Easily resolved. Just lie. "10 dev C and you're going to bed in a FLEECE! If I'd known you were going to cheat, well... Y'see my place is at 9, at least once the sun's been up a few hours, but I only put a sweater on first thing."

Alternatively, cut to the chase, get your gentleman's sausages out, compare sizes and put the damn heating on. :)

Finally, just got the chimneys swept after our previous sweep stopped answering his phone. Bliss ! Both the wood burner and the Rayburn going. Glad we've been away in Spain and France for three weeks, where the weather was tee-shirts and shorts.

I started reading the article but stopped when I saw what he was wearing as it seemed to devalue the whole thing. Was it worth reading further?
It was more about the physiological effects of cold temperatures so it was important he wore as little as possible in order to get him cold quicker. Effects ranged from higher blood pressure to impaired brain function (body concentrating on keeping the core organs warm). They were trying to show how important it was to be above 17 deg rather than tell you to put more clothes on

I started reading the article but stopped when I saw what he was wearing as it seemed to devalue the whole thing. Was it worth reading further?
As others have said, the subject has to be lightly clad or it won't work. If he wears a Himalayan mountaineer s down suit, he can live in a freezer for days with no ill effects. The Inuit have done this for centuries, after all, and they cope. No heating in an igloo, if you're wearing fur lined clothes the temperature is irrelevant.

My London Lidl have tons of wood so they expect loads of people to start burning wood. This is Streatham London, adding to Khans pollution

9.5 deg C outside today, and wet and windy. Got soaked on morning dog walk, so cranked heating right up at lunchtime to get warm. First time it's been on full pelt for yonks, and air is trapped in pipe work so it's been rattling and clanking like a train. Have been bleeding radiators and it's slowly settling down down. 20 deg C indoors now.

It was more about the physiological effects of cold temperatures so it was important he wore as little as possible in order to get him cold quicker. Effects ranged from higher blood pressure to impaired brain function (body concentrating on keeping the core organs warm). They were trying to show how important it was to be above 17 deg rather than tell you to put more clothes on

I don't know why so many people are on this BBC guys side. It was a dilletante article "inspired" by the heating crisis and that people wont be turning on their heating. They do not need to be told what happens when you are starkers in a cold room but what you need to do to stop dying of cold if thats what you intend to do. It was a pure entertainment article for those who wont be turning off the heater ( like him)

Temp was down to fifteen degrees in my bedroom this morning. That was enough for me to put the heating on :cool:

My log burner has been going for weeks now. The joys of free (almost) logs. Two kettles sat on top of it for hot water. Boiler is turned on for mainly hot water when there is a lot of dishes to wash.

Latest research by Cardiff uni...below 18c creates risk of heart attack/stroke due to blood thickening.

Although it hasn't been super cold the stove has been lit for 3 evenings in a row, so that's my cue to switch the immersion heater off for a few months. We have a boiler stove that runs the central heating and provides all our hot water over autumn and winter. It's no cheap option though, I spent £750 on logs over the summer in preparation.

Last edited:
17c in my office in my house. Feels quite chilly but the sun is coming up so hope it warms the room a bit through the windows.

advertisement

Back