advertisement

So, first impressions of a Townsend Allegri+...

"Anyway, more time required, what it'll sound like with the Leak lord only knows !"

..... Heavenly of course.

PS: can someone tell me how to include a quote from Another's message in my own ...........
Hit the "Reply" button at the bottom of the post.

To quote multiple posts, hit the "+ Quote" button on each of them.

You can also select the bit you want to quote and a little panel with those same two buttons should pop up.

With the Leak 20 in with the Allegri my system has seen a step change, I have never owned combination of boxes this musically satisfying. This thing is a work of true hi fidelity beauty. How come it took me this long to get round to passives ?! 🙃

Alegri + user here... slightly better SQ than the S&B silver traffo homebuilt job I have in the other system. Selectors and "pot" are not of the quality of the Seiden ones in the homebuilt one, and can cut out in one channel or hum sometimes, necessitating a bit of fiddling with the knob. Not impressive on a bit of gear this expensive. Apart from that, impressively clean and dimensional. And dynamic, despite what naysayers might have you believe.

Alegri + user here... slightly better SQ than the S&B silver traffo homebuilt job I have in the other system. Selectors and "pot" are not of the quality of the Seiden ones in the homebuilt one, and can cut out in one channel or hum sometimes, necessitating a bit of fiddling with the knob. Not impressive on a bit of gear this expensive. Apart from that, impressively clean and dimensional. And dynamic, despite what naysayers might have you believe.
The selector switch is a £1.99 Alpha brand. I had to repair mine, so I bought one and used the new top half mated to the original bottom half. It had separated, and the ball bearing had fallen out. Sue Townshend said I should buy a new Allegri+!

Several years ago I bought a preamp from the Horn Shoppe, called The Truth, which I think is more or less passive. Slightly rudimentary build, but I was extremely impressed. I don't recall the rest of my set up, as I have done a fair amount of box-swapping since then. However the positive experience may well lead me to try a passive preamp again one day.

So, what exactly is a good passive pre amp doing to the signal? Is the answer "Nothing, that's the point"?

I can't understand how a passive pre amp can bring a huge leap in sound quality? What's going on inside it? I'm perfectly happy with my cheapo Tisbury passive because it doesn't seem to do anything except give me a channel selector and volume control.

So, what exactly is a good passive pre amp doing to the signal? Is the answer "Nothing, that's the point"?

I can't understand how a passive pre amp can bring a huge leap in sound quality? What's going on inside it? I'm perfectly happy with my cheapo Tisbury passive because it doesn't seem to do anything except give me a channel selector and volume control.
Impedance matching for one thing; that means a transformer not resistors though. You can actually add some gain depending on the winding and wiring configurations, but at the cost of some current. Many AVCs have an extra coil or two (just like in Variacs) that will give another 10% or so. In my old TVC I added 6dB of gain.

Some say they should all sound the same.... but clearly Don't !....

Some say they should all sound the same.... but clearly Don't !....
The story of Hi Fi forums in a nutshell...

I'm now tempted to try the Schiit Saga, following positive comments upthread. (The Allegri+ will need to wait for more prosperous times, alas)

I get a bit lost in it all. Have had a Khozmo and Alps black passives - both lovely with very real sense of transparency. If a bit thin at low volumes. Tried a cheap passive and not as nice at all, but passable. One the nicest systems I ever heard had a MFA passive.

(Also love valve pres - Croft R best I've had. Also really like the digital volume control in the Chord, but less so another make/models).

Then some integrateds have passive and some active pre sections but that really doesn't seem to get as much talked about as separates.

With the Leak 20 in with the Allegri my system has seen a step change, I have never owned combination of boxes this musically satisfying. This thing is a work of true hi fidelity beauty. How come it took me this long to get round to passives ?! 🙃
Thanks for pushing me even further down the ST20 purchase route....

My issue with passives - while they have worked superbly from DACs - has always been how they work with MC stages - which is to say they have to be well beyond 12 o'clock to generate meaningful levels from the vinyl.

advertisement

Back