advertisement

Smart meters

It's worth noting that those without smart meters will not be able to benefit from the new proposed discounts for not using high energy use devices at peak times
Not quite true.
The only ones who will benefit will be those with working smart meters…

I think I can cope. I'll just refrain from using high-energy devices during peak times. o_O

How will your supplier know what time you used the appliance? Without a smart meter, you will pay more and I will pay less

'Smart' tariffs are just around the corner, especially useful for car charging, amongst many other positive uses of the technology.

Not quite true.
The only ones who will benefit will be those with working smart meters…

Well, yes, obviously. I take your point but there's a difference of being anti something rather than wanting something to work properly. If a smart meter isn't fitted it's for certain that the consumer will never benefit from smart tariffs. If the meter doesn't function, then it's a matter to take up with the organisation that fitted it.

For me, the real issue with Smart Meters is the use of the word ‘smart’. I am becoming increasingly prejudiced against anything with that word attached to it. It seems to be a marketing ploy to sell us less for more.

I want a return to stupid motorways, watches, phones etc.

idk how it works, but my old dumb meter has seperate standard (05:30 to 23:30) and low tarrif (23:30 to 05:30) counters.

Smart meters allow for 30 mins readings. Thus your supplier knows exactly what energy you are consuming and when. They can then offer you a personalised deal to move the timing of some of your usage in return for a discount. This has the additional benefit of helping to smooth peaks and troughs of demand, which allows generators to operate more efficiently.

How will your supplier know what time you used the appliance?

They don't need to. I just use the high-consumption stuff during the 'Economy 7' period.

Without a smart meter, you will pay more and I will pay less

I doubt it. Mrs Seeker and I are tighter than mice's ears when it comes to utilities. And we don't have hybird / electric cars either.

'Smart' tariffs are just around the corner, especially useful for car charging, amongst many other positive uses of the technology.

Followed by the companies controlling your supply / consumption. Paying a little extra now to retain a degree of control over my business is worth it IMHO.

For me, the real issue with Smart Meters is the use of the word ‘smart’. I am becoming increasingly prejudiced against anything with that word attached to it. It seems to be a marketing ploy to sell us less for more.

I want a return to stupid motorways, watches, phones etc.

I certainly recognise that thinking! Comes increasingly with age, I'm afraid.

They don't need to. I just use the high-consumption stuff during the 'Economy 7' period.

I doubt it. Mrs Seeker and I are tighter than mice's ears when it comes to utilities. And we don't have hybird / electric cars either.

Followed by the companies controlling your supply / consumption. Paying a little extra now to retain a degree of control over my business is worth it IMHO.

How much linger do you think such tariffs will be around?

Further, you are forced to use in the off peak hours to benefit from a lower tariff. Smart tariffs will potentially allow the use of lower tariffs in more 'sociable' times.

Frankly though, I don't really care what you think and do and vice versa, most likely. I just think it's useful for others to be exposed to an opinion that differs from the PFM group think.

Smart meters allow for 30 mins readings. Thus your supplier knows exactly what energy you are consuming and when. They can then offer you a personalised deal to move the timing of some of your usage in return for a discount. This has the additional benefit of helping to smooth peaks and troughs of demand, which allows generators to operate more efficiently.
I think it more likely that the suppliers will move to dynamic ‘surge’ pricing rather than discounted pricing. Like how an Uber costs more at 11pm on a Friday night due to demand. If you don’t know in advance when the surge will come, you can’t avoid it.

How much linger do you think such tariffs will be around?

Further, you are forced to use in the off peak hours to benefit from a lower tariff. Smart tariffs will potentially allow the use of lower tariffs in more 'sociable' times.

Frankly though, I don't really care what you think and do and vice versa, most likely. I just think it's useful for others to be exposed to an opinion that differs from the PFM group think.

As you need challenging believing smart meters are there to benefit you.
I don’t believe they are.
As you say, opinions need challenging.

How will your supplier know what time you used the appliance? Without a smart meter, you will pay more and I will pay less

They already exist, from some suppliers e.g. Octopus Agile gives half-hourly pricing; problem is, this summer, wholesale costs are so high that there is little or no scope for load shifting or 'plunge pricing', as the unit rates are sitting at the tariff caps most of the time. :(

EON keep offering to install a smart meter on the grounds of safety. Not sure I believe it.

advertisement

Back