advertisement

Smart meters

Thanks gents. I read my meters every month and send away the readings. The meters are in a low cupboard below the stairs and I'm worried I may get stuck one of these times, hence the OP :D

Thanks gents. I read my meters every month and send away the readings. The meters are in a low cupboard below the stairs and I'm worried I may get stuck one of these times, hence the OP :D
Have you any grandchildren whose numeracy skills might benefit from reading the meters regularly, perhaps?

It, basically, means I don’t have to submit my meter readings.
As for setting a budget, I have never bothered.
We are careful.
Now we have just two of us in the house, I hardly take note of the daily total.
If I recall correctly, it’s about £1.25 or so a day.
Of course it’s summer at the moment...

We had one fitted on 1st August - it still doesn’t communicate with the display unit and hasn’t registered with our provider (Shell) so we’re still being asked for meter readings. Sent emails to them - no good. I've now got the Loop app on the phone which shows me both gas and electric usage. I’m thinking of sending Shell meter readings that are just 1kwh up from the last one. See if that wakes them up

Had one fitted a couple of years ago.
Since changed supplier and now have to read the gas meter and inform Shell.
Electricity readings are still automatically submitted though.

Tbh. I quite like the ability to compare the hourly running costs of different hifi, daft I know!

When our contract came up for renewal the cheapest tariff was only available with the smart meter.

So I got the meter and I've got to say it's been no bother at all.

The main thing is that it just gives you a bit more insight into how much lekky you're using.

So, now if we want something on, air-con or whatever, at least we now know how much it's costing us.

We can make an informed decision! Today, so far, we've used 84p in lekky and 25p gas. Our heating and water is gas, everything else is lekky.

On a very cold winters day it's nearer £3.50 all in.

Andy

I like ours I get detailed daily info on the octopus app, it, along with recent nonsense has meant a substantial reduction in electric here.

In both my and my Dad's cases, getting the actual meters installed was not the problem. In both situations, it was getting the "back-office" procedures buttoned down that took the time. The companies seem to be incentivised to fit the meters (done via sub-contractors) rather to consider the exercise as an end to end process,

It's worth noting that those without smart meters will not be able to benefit from the new proposed discounts for not using high energy use devices at peak times

advertisement

Back