advertisement

Small wall mounted speakers that sound good

Totem Tribe iii

Totem-Tribe-III-Satin-Black.jpg

Last edited:
Deja Vu, I had exactly the same problem a few years ago and ended up with Linn Katans with Linn Brakits. About £350 secondhand. Although you might go mental gathering a 5125/D and cards to drive them Aktiv once you have them and then being a bit disappointed.

Having heard @Alex S ’s Genelecs, would definitely second them. And you could subsidise their purchase by selling your power amp.

Last edited:
ATC and Lyngdorf make on-wall speakers:

Dali Opticon 1 Mk2, your ears (and wallet) will thank you. Mirrors the fundamental design features of the Menuet, but without the gorgeous (and expensive) cabinet finish.

The Dali has a rear-facing port, I don't see that it can work well against the wall unless the port is puggled.

Dali do a wall mounted speaker that looks interesting. I'm curious about how they perform having had (and very much liked) Dalis in the past. Almost tempted to buy and try, but given that to mount them I'd need to drill holes in the wall it's not so easy...

Dali Oberon On Wall

Just for fun, buy a pair of Minimus 7 speakers, they hook straight onto the wall, and always make me smile. You can pick up a pair for 50 quid or less, and are great value for money.

Just for fun, buy a pair of Minimus 7 speakers, they hook straight onto the wall, and always make me smile. You can pick up a pair for 50 quid or less, and are great value for money.
I was hoping not to have to downgrade the sound too much, tbh.
We used to have a dining room with not much in it apart from a table and chairs and my LP12 on its equipment rack and the two speakers either side and angled towards a sofa at the other end of the room.
It was a solid brick built room and my Epos ES11 stuff sounded really good in it.

This house is brand new, cavity walls etc so it’s going to have to be something pretty special to work well against that kind of wall.
I asked on here in desperation really and I now think some slim floorstanders with a small footprint might be the only way to go.

I was hoping not to have to downgrade the sound too much, tbh.
We used to have a dining room with not much in it apart from a table and chairs and my LP12 on its equipment rack and the two speakers either side and angled towards a sofa at the other end of the room.
It was a solid brick built room and my Epos ES11 stuff sounded really good in it.

This house is brand new, cavity walls etc so it’s going to have to be something pretty special to work well against that kind of wall.
I asked on here in desperation really and I now think some slim floorstanders with a small footprint might be the only way to go.
Trust me, you will be surprised.

As a long-term ES11 owner, I understand the challenge.

i may have missed it, but how far from the wall do you think you can place the floorstanders?

The Neat Iota Alphas mentioned above come to mind as do the Totem Arro.

As a long-term ES11 owner, I understand the challenge.

i may have missed it, but how far from the wall do you think you can place the floorstanders?

The Neat Iota Alphas mentioned above come to mind as do the Totem Arro.
They will have to go as close to ten wall as possible.
The other thing is that I’m not going to have speaker wires up the wall just to try something out,🤔
I would have to be convinced that a wall mounted speaker was the way to go first.
i realise that it’s not an easy problem to solve. Lol

They will have to go as close to ten wall as possible
I don't understand why there Aren’t more speakers designed specifically to go against the wall. For the most part one is limited to either no port or no rear port because they are least problematic rather than something specifically designed for that placement.

I did have my ES11s away from the wall a bit, but part of the reason I like my Kans and Saras is that they can go up against the wall, freeing floor space.

I don't understand why there Aren’t more speakers designed specifically to go against the wall. For the most part one is limited to either no port or no rear port because they are least problematic rather than something specifically designed for that placement.

I did have my ES11s away from the wall a bit, but part of the reason I like my Kans and Saras is that they can go up against the wall, freeing floor space.
My ES11s were about 2 feet away from the back wall and slightly toed in.
I am sure they would still sound good if I set them up like that here but I simply don’t have the room to allow that luxury.
I would be tempted to try Kans but they look very dated now and my wife would never accept them.
I can’t have the hifi dominating my living room unfortunately, also we both like a bit of bass but im not really a bass fiend.

I have my Opticon 1 Mk2’s about 4 inches (10 cm) from the back wall, and bass is as tight as a gnat’s a$$. YMMV.

If you're no looking at floostanders as well, Dali Oberon 5's are meant to be very placement friendly.
I had some Focal Aria 926's which were brilliant in a room that needed the bass projected forward, not that small and a bit over budget and slightly forward on the top end with bad recordings but apart from that incredible speakers for their cost .... I've seen some very recently on sale at £1200.

Most bookshelf speakers can go on a decent wall bracket if you're still that way inclined, I have a pair of Elac B5.2's as they're backed up against a window and the front firing bass port works really well in that situation, with your budget might be worth having a look at their Debut Reference DBR62's which get a lot of very positive comments.

If you're no looking at floostanders as well, Dali Oberon 5's are meant to be very placement friendly.
I had some Focal Aria 926's which were brilliant in a room that needed the bass projected forward, not that small and a bit over budget and slightly forward on the top end with bad recordings but apart from that incredible speakers for their cost .... I've seen some very recently on sale at £1200.

Most bookshelf speakers can go on a decent wall bracket if you're still that way inclined, I have a pair of Elac B5.2's as they're backed up against a window and the front firing bass port works really well in that situation, with your budget might be worth having a look at their Debut Reference DBR62's which get a lot of very positive comments.
The Dali Oberon speakers look interesting. We are planning to go and look at some hifi shops to get more of an idea of what we want.
Budget is possibly up to about 1200 pounds but that depends on what we find.
I have gone off of the idea of wall mounted speakers now, as I cannot see how they would look any good in our room as it Is now On any kind of bracket and with the wires showing. 🤔

I’ve got Dali Menuet SE’s and have them up close to the rear wall on stands and they sound superb. They are Ported in such a way that they can be hung on the wall. If you can try a pair I think you’d be really impressed- they have a beautiful finish and I like looking at them as much as I love listening to them.

advertisement

Back