advertisement

Siemens dishwasher - drains but not fully

Ponty

pfm Member
A bit of a strange one. Our Siemens dishwasher (about 12 years old) drains but leaves a small amount of water sitting in the filter housing, only visible if you remove the filter access cover. Unless I sponge this out before using the dishwasher again, it will start the program then stop with the water warning light on. The filter and impeller are clean as a whistle. The pump obviously works otherwise the program wouldn’t run and there would be loads of water left in the bottom. I’ve tried googling the issue but only comes up with blocked filter etc, which it isn’t. I’m thinking it could be a sensor of some sort. Any ideas? Thanks!

Check the drain hose and pipe work for a blockage, drain pumps I come across on commercial machines are usually run on a time basis, if it hasn't drained the machine by the end of the drain cycle and the pump is good then I can only think there might be something reducing the flow of the drain.

What dishwasher tablets do you use? Apparently some provide too much lather which can interfere with the sensors.

Finish are the ones to use apparently.

Check the drain hose and pipe work for a blockage, drain pumps I come across on commercial machines are usually run on a time basis, if it hasn't drained the machine by the end of the drain cycle and the pump is good then I can only think there might be something reducing the flow of the drain.

Thanks. I was trying to avoid pulling it out (fully integrated) but think it’s inevitable. I was thinking the pump must be fine but this makes sense if it’s run on a timer rather than a water level.

Thanks. I was trying to avoid pulling it out (fully integrated) but think it’s inevitable. I was thinking the pump must be fine but this makes sense if it’s run on a timer rather than a water level.

Without seeing a drawing for the machine it is hard to say how it works exactly, on commercial machines water levels are controlled via pressure switches not level sensors. Flow rates and timers are common for fill and drain.

Definitely start with the simple things first, it's probably a ball ache dragging it out but a blocked drain/hose is easier to check than fault finding on the machine.

Certainly pressure switches, as @matt j says, can get gummed-up (mostly with grease), as can various filters, depending on what is fitted. Not a huge task, but a total faff - just find them and clean thoroughly. That could/should save you ££££££

Yes drain hose or pipework blockage, even external drain blockage, can interfere with drainage. I've had that with the dishwasher in the past and the washing machine.

Try running a dishwasher cleaner through it on hottest programme whilst empty.

Never tried, might work, but the hassle with pressure switches is that the grease clogs things up in what is basically a blind pipe, so the chances of any cleaner clearing it are slight.

Once anyone has seen a pressure switch, and how it works in a dishwasher, it will be obvious.

No idea what is in dishwasher cleaner, but if it isn't caustic soda (sodium hydroxide).....................

Yep, we've got a Siemens dishwasher, had exactly the same problem. It was caused by a partial blockage in the waste pipe.

Never tried, might work, but the hassle with pressure switches is that the grease clogs things up in what is basically a blind pipe, so the chances of any cleaner clearing it are slight.

Once anyone has seen a pressure switch, and how it works in a dishwasher, it will be obvious.

No idea what is in dishwasher cleaner, but if it isn't caustic soda (sodium hydroxide).....................

I have just done this admittedly on a Bosch dishwasher and it is doable.

As a quick fix it is worth emptying the sump and pouring in a pint of boiling vinegar before starting a cycle.

You've not lived until you've had your mouth around the end of a drain hose, especially if it has been sat in a manky drain for 5 years. Crack on and report back.
Being up to your armpit clearing congealed fat from the outside kitchen soil pipe P trap comes a close second, especially when you've forgotten about the caustic soda you chucked down it the day before :(

You've not lived until you've had your mouth around the end of a drain hose, especially if it has been sat in a manky drain for 5 years. Crack on and report back.

Reminds of the tale told to me by an agricultural contractor. He had been spreading slurry with a vacuum tanker. The outlet of the tanker blocked, so he went round the back to clear the nozzle. Just as he started to undo the nozzle he realised that he had forgotten to release the pressure in the tanker. Unfortunately the design of the clamp doesn't release fully at first. This resulted in a shower of slurry shooting out of the gap in the nozzle. He told me had slurry in his eyes, mouth and up his nose. In the end he said he only had a strip up his back which was clean.

I once had to fix a valve on a slurry pump in the collection sump of the slurry system at the farm. I thought it was simply stuck with a bit of wood and it would be a 5 minute job. Turned out that the hinges of the valve were worn, 5 hours later the the valve was repaired and I was in dire need of a shower, my clothes were left outside the back door before being flung in the washing machine.

advertisement

Back