advertisement

Shure M75 Queries

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I have a couple of Shure M75 MM cartridge bodies and I would like to re-use one of them in the resurrection of my Goldring GL75 turntable.

One is an EJ type 2 and one is an MB Type 2. I’ve done a bit of googling and am still none the wiser on a few points……

My questions are:

- is one any better than the other
- Where can I get a quality conical stylus for Mono records
- What is the best available stylus for stereo records and would sticking a modern MM in a second headshell for this application be better VFM
- are all M75 styli interchangeable

cheers

Hi,
Don’t bother. The M75 never was a good cartridge. Just a cheap and cheerful device for impoverished student systems.
The only source of quality stylii these days is Jico, but the good nude ones are expensive.
Get a new Goldring or preferably Audio-Technica instead. About £ 150 gets you a nice ML tip.

One is an EJ type 2 and one is an MB Type 2. I’ve done a bit of googling and am still none the wiser on a few points……

The body is identical across all models and effectively a slightly downmarket V15/II. Your best hope for styluses. is almost certainly Jico. Any M75 stylus will fit. The G or B types will be conical, but with different tracking weights. There may be more conical types.

Hi,
Don’t bother. The M75 never was a good cartridge. Just a cheap and cheerful device for impoverished student systems.
The only source of quality stylii these days is Jico, but the good nude ones are expensive.
Get a new Goldring or preferably Audio-Technica instead. About £ 150 gets you a nice ML tip.

I already have a fancy turntable with MC cart for all that stuff. This TT is a bit of cheap retro fun. It's currently setup with an M75, 78 stylus and and Rothwell Simplex MM stage and sounding very spendid.

Next step is a cart with a conical stylus for old mono LPs

I do have a AT95 cart body, so I may get a £30 95EX stylus for that and find out how a thrift store tt and arm with a £150 phono stage and cart compares to a £4.5k unipivot and MC setup.

Cheers all. In the interests of creating someting approaching a period record player, I will be getting a Jico Hyperelliptical for the M75, as well as a suitable conical for mono replay. Apart from anything else, it's a relatively inexpensive way of getting reasonable quality stereo, Mono & 78 replay on the same cart.

In my experience Shure M75 is just a magic combinations with the arms on those 70's Japanese players like Pioneer PL12, Sansui 222 etc. And the HE approaches something special

Sorry chartz, but that's nonsense. (imho of course)

I don’t think many would argue it or, the very closely related V15/II, were Shure’s finest moments. It lands somewhere in no-man’s land between the huge fun big-boned and visceral M3D, M44 and M55E, and the flatter, unflappable and much more refined V15/III and related M95 series. I’m pretty certain where I landed with vintage Shure with both a M44 and a load of different styli and a V15/III in a different arm is where I want to be. That said the M75 was never a bad cartridge, they sold in absolute shed-loads and were well liked with different stylus types covering a very wide range of usage scenarios. My first proper turntable, a Lenco 75, had a M75EJ fitted which was one of the lower compliance types and able to deal with the massive Lenco arm. It sounded great as I recall I found a lot of amazing music with that record deck.

Hi,
Sorry, simply have to disagree. The M75ED and V15 were distinct and superb sounding cartridges in my personal opinion but then like all things in this game opinions differ.

In my experience Shure M75 is just a magic combinations with the arms on those 70's Japanese players like Pioneer PL12, Sansui 222 etc. And the HE approaches something special

I was pretty happy with an M75 + GL75 for many years. Seemed a good combination to me. Technically I felt the V15 + Technics DD was better. But I'd be happy enough with the M75 + GL75 in good condition.

Still have a GL75 but it has been left out in a leaky garage for decades, so I doubt it would be useable now, sadly. Certainly the rubbery bit on the arm is now ruined.

I was never happy with the M75. I bought a V15IV to great effect, then an MR stylus.
Today like Tony, I use a V15III (Shure stylus), but on a Dual 701.
Wonderful.

I was never happy with the M75. I bought a V15IV to great effect, then an MR stylus.
Today like Tony, I use a V15III (Shure stylus), but on a Dual 701.
Wonderful.

Like many Shures the M75 was hugely defined by its various stylus assemblies. From memory it spanned everything from conical tips like the ‘B’ tracking at 3g or so through to the ‘ED’ elliptical at 0.75-1.25 very similar to a V15/II. The ‘EJ’ I had was an elliptical with a 1.5-3g tracking range. I think I used it at 2g, which may have been a bit too light given the Lenco arm, but it tracked well enough as I recall. I’ve still got some vinyl from that deck and it is fine so it wasn’t doing much wrong!

Still have a GL75 but it has been left out in a leaky garage for decades, so I doubt it would be useable now, sadly. Certainly the rubbery bit on the arm is now ruined.
Could be a nice project to get it up and running. If the arm really is completely shot there are one or two drop-in replacements with the same geography (linn basik lvx for one).

Like many Shures the M75 was hugely defined by its various stylus assemblies. From memory it spanned everything from conical tips like the ‘B’ tracking at 3g or so through to the ‘ED’ elliptical at 0.75-1.25 very similar to a V15/II. The ‘EJ’ I had was an elliptical with a 1.5-3g tracking range. I think I used it at 2g, which may have been a bit too light given the Lenco arm, but it tracked well enough as I recall. I’ve still got some vinyl from that deck and it is fine so it wasn’t doing much wrong!
Yes I had a 75ED.

Could be a nice project to get it up and running. If the arm really is completely shot there are one or two drop-in replacements with the same geography (linn basik lvx for one).

I'm about to have our 'dome' in the back garden sorted out. Now rusting, etc. When that is done the next thing externally is the garage, Bo car but stuffed with all kinds of ancient run-down things. Largely junk but couldn't face actually sorting and discarding the piles jumbled there. if someone wants the GL 75 then can have it - once I can rescue it!

advertisement

Back