advertisement

Shure M75 Queries

Is the M75ED too compliant for a tonearm of 16g effective mass (my Rega R200) ?

Yes, you’d get far better results with a M75EJ IMO. It would likely give a load of cone-flap and bottom on sharp warps. The ED was a V15/II on the cheap and wants a fixed-shell 3009 Improved, Hadcock, Infinity Black Widow, Series III etc to really shine.

PS That said the compliance of modern third-party replacement styli is anyone’s guess, and there is a good chance originals have hardened-up somewhat over the decades.

............... The ED was a V15/II on the cheap and wants a fixed-shell 3009 Improved, Hadcock, Infinity Black Widow, Series III etc to really shine.............
Hi Tony, I'm surprised to read that, as I seem to recall using my M75ED in the 3009 Series II which came attached to the TD124 II I purchased in the mid '70's without problems.
I shall certainly be trying it again in both versions of 3009 (Series II, & Fixed H/shell S2 Imp.) a.s.a.p. after I have collected and reinstalled my 'serviced' TD124.
Regards
Mike K.

Hi Tony, I'm surprised to read that, as I seem to recall using my M75ED in the 3009 Series II which came attached to the TD124 II I purchased in the mid '70's without problems.

There is a pretty substantial difference in effective mass between an pre-Improved 3009 (12g), a detachable-shell 3009 Improved (9.5g), or a fixed-shell 3009 Improved (6.5g) and the quoted 16g for the Rega R200. I have no idea if the latter is an accurate figure, it is heavier than I expected, but that is more than I’d want with an M75ED.

IIRC the M75ED is around 25cu, so about the same as a V15/III, and I’m running one of those (a HE) in a fixed shell Improved at present. It is unflappable at 1.1g tracking, exactly in its happy zone mass wise.

Hi Tony,
Thank you for your comprehensive and informative reply. I recall that I was actually using 1.25 as the tracking force for my M75ED in the 3009 Series II that I had at that time.
Later, SME offered a 'trade in' against the 'Improved' versions, and I swapped mine for a 'fixed' H/shell 3009 S2 Imp., and finally added a V15 IV, but I can't recall what setting I used for that.
Regards
Mike K.

advertisement

Back