advertisement

Shrinking grocery items

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
Cadbury’s have obviously been at this game for a while now. I had a Brunch Bar this morning which was most definitely’Fun’ sized!

I noticed that small bottles of Fairy Liquid had downsized this week from 383ml to 320ml, Pringles have also shrunk in the wash, the duvet of Cheesy Balls from Poundland is now nearer to a handful or two.

What next? I’m worried about pints of beer!!

Shrinkflation. Just so much of it in failing Tory Brexitland. For a while it was to keep familiar prices, but now that slight of hand has gone and we are paying x% more for very obviously less actual product. That is when there is even product to buy. As an example it is getting far harder to buy eggs of late for some reason and the local Asda had a ‘maximum x2’ sign up on an already empty shelf when I was in last. I guess this is just what a collapsing economy feels like.

PS Someone will be along to tell us it’s “sovereignty” any minute now.

There were no eggs in Tesco at all on Friday. Plenty in Waitrose today and in our house - we have seven chickens!

Some food prices have risen extraordinarily but some like veg and meat less so. Heinz appear to be one of the worst culprits. Seems strange.

As an example it is getting far harder to buy eggs of late for some reason and the local Asda had a ‘maximum x2’ sign up on an already empty shelf when I was in last

it's what bird flu looks like

Blimey! Even my favourite (and only bought as a treat!) M&S pea and mint soup is only £1.25.

£1.70 is the current one-can Asda price, I just checked online. Some four-packs, e.g. tomato, is cheaper at £4, or you can get a 5 for £6 deal, but even so that is a crazy price rise. This isn’t isolated. My weekly shop seems to be up by about £20-25.

PS I’m feeling this I don’t mind saying. My income hasn’t gone up at all, in fact it has decreased despite an increase in web traffic (I assume lower advertising spend), I’m technically in “fuel poverty” (i.e. spending around 10% of my income on heat/light) and if I had rent or a mortgage I’d definitely be spending my savings by now. I’ve a lot of sympathy for those in shit jobs with mortgages etc and even more for those forced into the humiliation of foodbanks etc. The current slow collapse of the UK really is painful to watch.

Changing buying habits are becoming more obvious in the big stores..

Cheaper own brand products featuring prominently at eye level in Sainsburys today in the cereal aisle for example - similar scenarios in other places . The expensive ones were on the bottom shelves.

Chocolate Hobnobs are one of the worst offenders.

Each one is smaller, and as there’s not as many, they come in those packs with flappy ends to make them look bigger, and they cost more money. \o/

I’m worried about pints of beer!!

Fancy a half a litre?

supermarket profiteering?

4 pack in our co-op is £4.00

The four-packs are the same here. Individual cans at £1.70 at Tesco too (just checked now). The bizarre thing is the own-brand fresh soup in the 600g plastic pots (e.g. Asda’s Broccoli & Stilton) are now less than the price of one can of Heinz, and way nicer too!

xrolnAM.png

Don’t mention the Terry’s chocolate orange..

and they can be £1 in one shop, £2.99 in another… I don’t understand how the general public attend to being taken for such a ride.

advertisement

Back