advertisement

Should I buy an EV - real world advice needed.

I have a friend with a Mercedes something and she won't use the air conditioning in the summer (it gets hot here in Switzerland) because it kills the range. She has a 6 km drive from work to home.
Bizarre. Is it one of those hybrids in name only that has a range of 50 yards or 2 minutes before the engine comes in? I've a neighbour with one such, it gets him out of his drive and 10 yards before the engine starts. I can't see the point. Well, I can if you count box ticking.

I have a friend with a Mercedes something and she won't use the air conditioning in the summer (it gets hot here in Switzerland) because it kills the range. She has a 6 km drive from work to home.

I was watching a tradie on youtube who has switched to an electric van, I think he is in the London area so the best use case for a tradie as mileages will be low, yet the range is still so poor that he doesn't use any heating in the winter. Which is just bonkers. If it can't be used as intended then there's no point yet IMO.

family member uses electric vans , they often cant use any heating in cold conditions otherwise kills the range and cant deliver the parcels

Bizarre. Is it one of those hybrids in name only that has a range of 50 yards or 2 minutes before the engine comes in? I've a neighbour with one such, it gets him out of his drive and 10 yards before the engine starts. I can't see the point. Well, I can if you count box ticking.
No, it is a full electric. Some of her behavior is very strange.

Interesting development

the headline is absolute rubbish. If you read the article, MB isn’t halting EV development, it is just slowing the transition to EVs due to market conditions. it has previously said it would monitor the market and adjust the pace of transition accordingly.

I guess we can’t expect any more from the Express.

the headline is absolute rubbish. If you read the article, MB isn’t halting EV development, it is just slowing the transition to EVs due to market conditions. it has previously said it would monitor the market and adjust the pace of transition accordingly.

I guess we can’t expect any more from the Express.
... and since when is Mercedes-Benz "beloved"? I can think of lots of adjectives (many of them even positive) to describe how MB owners feel about the brand, but that one doesn't fit.

Renault 5, Citroën C3, a new (bigger) FIAT Panda, VW ID.2 are all out now or coming in next 12 months. All will either be EV only, or offer affordable EV versions. This is still one of the largest sectors of the European car market, and it's where EV makes a lot of sense: the type of car itself means few drivers are expecting to drive them hundreds of miles a day, so battery range expectations are easier to meet.

There's also a persistent rumour that car taxation will move to a kerbweight basis for EVs in many EU countries, and this is leading makers to reconsider the small car... a product they had largely abandoned in the petrol era in their rush to higher-margin SUVs (aided by widespread bending and breaking of emissions testing to hide those vehicles much bigger real world environmental footprint).

New R5 looks a step in the right direction, more of an everyman's car than yet another £150k rolling gin palace.

yes this turned my head.....but his presentation does not clarify if I get 250 miles with the standard battery version at approx £22k, or do i need to spend another £5k on a bigger battery? if so, back to where we were, way too much for what it is.

yes this turned my head.....but his presentation does not clarify if I get 250 miles with the standard battery version at approx £22k, or do i need to spend another £5k on a bigger battery? if so, back to where we were, way too much for what it is.

you’ll need to get the bigger battery for 250 miles of range.

As I live in Sweden with proper winters (some times) I can add that non studded winter tyres has lower rolling resistance than summer tyres.

Get a Hongqui

Screenshot-20240228-083103-Chrome.jpg

Good luck.. I've heard good things about them.

By the way, in one odd example of not doing much research, Skoda's blurb for this car says it's named after "the Irish given-name Enya".

Thing is, "Enya" is not an Irish given-name - there isn't even a letter Y in the Irish alphabet. It is, however, the stage-name of the world-famous composer and performer (and Ireland's richest woman) Eithne Ní Bhraonáin, but no child was ever given that name at birth.. ("Enya" is an approximation of the Donegal-Irish pronunciation of the name Eithne. Further South, we say "ETH-neh". She chose the name so that people wouldn't keep mispronouncing her actual name)

Maybe the name became popular in CZ, but Czechs would spell it "Eňa"... oh, it seems that's already a name, but more common in Slovakia, as a diminutive of "Elena".

Sorry for the total digression - enjoy the car!

advertisement

Back