advertisement

Should I buy an EV - real world advice needed.

never hear residuals being spoken of among all my mates (all apart from one person i know leases - and that one buys and sells used Bentleys as a side hustle - during the day he drives a small white van delivering car parts to garages) - all they talk about is the amount per month on the lease and whether it fits their budget - they don't care how the monthly repayment is derived.

There appears to a view among these people that electricity is expensive and so it will be costly to charge/run. They all like the idea of hybrid though no one has one.....

Well firstly I would not purchase a new BEV but then I have never bought a new ICE either (potential upcoming Lotus excepted). I would however buy a second hand BEV and in fact the possibility might come sooner than expected. I am considering exiting the company car scheme and would buy a pre owned BEV, possibly a Taycan as you can get a lot of car for your money right now. Other considerations would be a Model 3 (what I have currently) or the BMW iX

Tesla Model 3 and Y are both keeping their value because they are efficient (see Harry) have the best charging network and extremely low maint costs. They took a hit when the list prices were reduced but they are still the best BEV. The Polestar 2 is doing well and the Skoda Enyaq also fairing better than most. This is info from colleagues and our fleet manager so somewhat anecdotal but born out from looking at AutoTrader as well.

I‘d suggest you are in the minority. The vast majority won’t be in the market for Taycans etc. If you buy one and it continues to drop like a lead weight, it’s probably not a huge problem for you. The average car buyer can’t afford to take such a risk, hence the current reluctance to jump in with their own money.

There appears to a view among these people that electricity is expensive and so it will be costly to charge/run. They all like the idea of hybrid though no one has one.....
This is so true, my wife gets the comment all the time about the price of electricity for running the car, forgetting that it still costs £90 to fill an ice.

For context did a day trip the other day which cost £3.20 in electric but would have cost £12 in dino juice.

Seems Matt is having another crack at the cheap EV market. For the right person with the right use case, it could work.

Never heard of them, but I see they are promoters of sustainable energy. Commendable but this renders their opinion on residuals uncredible.
Given that Gridserve have been in the EV charging infrastructure business for longer than most I will use this statement to calibrate how informed your opinions on EVs are.

I‘d suggest you are in the minority. The vast majority won’t be in the market for Taycans etc. If you buy one and it continues to drop like a lead weight, it’s probably not a huge problem for you. The average car buyer can’t afford to take such a risk, hence the current reluctance to jump in with their own money.

Maybe or maybe not, you asked what I would buy, there are options further down the price scale as well. Not true budget level but they are still relatively new.

A £50k 3 year old Taycan is a lot of car for the money, older are low £40's. Not to everyone's taste for sure other cars are available.

Maybe or maybe not, you asked what I would buy, there are options further down the price scale as well. Not true budget level but they are still relatively new.

A £50k 3 year old Taycan is a lot of car for the money, older are low £40's. Not to everyone's taste for sure other cars are available.

you can pick up a good 3 year old iPace for well under £30k. purchase a jag extended warranty and you are good to go. That’s a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Just had my first trip on a full electric bus. it was a huge bus with two flexi joints. No idea what the capacity was but probably could take around 100 passangers at a guess.

very comfortable and quiet it was too. What’s not to like?

edit: found some details:

Yep, you pay your money and take your choice.

With a theoretical range range of 189 miles we can understand why it’s such low mileage at 2,500 miles!
Nonsense. Lots of these with 10s of thousands of miles. Keep feeding the rhetoric. I don’t need to spec a car for more than this. Why lug a heavy battery around and pay 4K more for the privilege.

Nonsense. Lots of these with 10s of thousands of miles. Keep feeding the rhetoric. I don’t need to spec a car for more than this. Why lug a heavy battery around and pay 4K more for the privilege.
Or have a sense of humour…

An old mate bought a Fiat 500e about a year ago. Got it home, email awaiting… £3k less for a new one than he’d just paid. That is a lot of petrol he could’ve carried on burning. So now he has a tiny car that is nearly 50% heavier than the petrol version, and he despises it, and Fiat, because of that instant loss off value on top of the usual depreciation.

An old mate bought a Fiat 500e about a year ago. Got it home, email awaiting… £3k less for a new one than he’d just paid. That is a lot of petrol he could’ve carried on burning. So now he has a tiny car that is nearly 50% heavier than the petrol version, and he despises it, and Fiat, because of that instant loss off value on top of the usual depreciation.
My daughter-in-law's got one of these. It's a cute little thing & she loves it. She has a twenty-odd mile commute to work, & her employer offers free charging so it costs her nowt to refuel. She intends to keep it for a good few years, so it's worked out well for her.

Maybe it's just the folk I know, but it does seem more employers are offering cheap or free charging at the workplace, which can be a real benefit of electric cars. SWMBO's old job involved a 110 mile round trip, and when she owned a diesel car it cost her £350 a month in fuel. Her employer generated their own electricity, & charged her a minimal amount to charge her Kia EV6. So her fuel bill dropped to £150 a year. Her new job is closer, only 20-odd miles each way, and her employer offers free charging from its solar panels. My son does a 30 mile each way commute and similarly, his company has always offered free charging.

Maybe it's just the folk I know, but it does seem more employers are offering cheap or free charging at the workplace

Nobody at Wattisham gets it, and nobody I know in the aviation maintenance industry gets it, except for two guys who own their own company. So yes, it’s the folk you know :)

Or have a sense of humour…
Apologies, had you down as part of the anti-EV brigade who’s always banging on about range. Back to page one where you don’t buy a house with 6 bedrooms just because you host Christmas dinner.

According to Google the average car journey in the UK is 8.4 miles.

advertisement

Back