advertisement

Should I buy an EV - real world advice needed.

I have a home charger (cost £900 including installation) and now charge overnight with the energy company Octopus on their intelligent octopus tariff. This costs 7.5p per kWh so a charge of say 50 kW will be £3.75. That level of charge will get me about 200 miles of range. Service intervals are every couple of years so a bit cheaper than ICE cars.

I did not know you could get tariffs that low! My maths above shows saving on electricity prices being much higher - 7.5p per kWh is nearly giveaway. I will have to look into that. Filling up the car so to speak - would be so much cheaper if that were the case!

And the iq is likely to remain very reliable and the Vauxhall less so.

had vauxhalls in our household for many years now . extremely reliable even when pushed hard . contrast that to a VW golf bought new which was 14 times in garage in first year . we have a 13 year old corsa that has been just superb and still has a vauxhall warrenty thanks to their lifetime warrenty

many police services run vauxhalls

The purchase supports the ongoing supply further along the chain. If everyone kept what they've got, it would cause a ripple back to the manufacturer, so I'd say you're still contributing, one way or another.
The Corsa also ripples back up the chain. As both cars already exist there is no net effect, on the basis that there will always be cars that die and are replaced. Some by ICE cars, some electric. The only way to stop this is to reduce the supply of new cars, such as happened in covid, this forcing old cars to be kept longer and some right old dogs to be dragged out of garages. The goal has to be to reduce the number of cars in use, but good luck getting that past an electorate.

And the iq is likely to remain very reliable and the Vauxhall less so.
Unlikely. Modern
had vauxhalls in our household for many years now . extremely reliable even when pushed hard . contrast that to a VW golf bought new which was 14 times in garage in first year . we have a 13 year old corsa that has been just superb and still has a vauxhall warrenty thanks to their lifetime warrenty

many police services run vauxhalls
Modern Vauxhalls are exceptionally reliable.

I did not know you could get tariffs that low! My maths above shows saving on electricity prices being much higher - 7.5p per kWh is nearly giveaway. I will have to look into that. Filling up the car so to speak - would be so much cheaper if that were the case!

the daytime rate is a bit higher than normal at 31p and a 42p per day standing charge so you have to take that into account, but overall it works out a fair bit cheaper than buying fuel if you do a reasonable amount of mileage.

Not many EVs can take advantage of 3 phase AC charging. Majority are SP with a max of 7KW, many plugin hybrids and some older EVs only half that at 3.6KW.
I've seen 3P AC to ChadeMo chargers, but they're expensive and obsolete really.
I actually never said they could take 3 phase, just that they could easily manage the amps required, - which it would.
Each incoming phase is *usually* 100A.
I did say that to check the max amps the car could handle with it.
3 PH is required for the DC fast chargers, but as I said, they cost a fair bit.

Overall in surveys, Vauxhall are middling, and the Corsa specifically, ditto. They are not bad at all, with an average of 7% needing some attention, mostly electrical, each year. Toyota however are much better than that, is my point.
It's often personal anyway. I'm not forming any opinion based on personal anecdote. A survey of 1 isn't really a survey.

i had a quick look at a 2 year old toyota the other day as the mrs might need a 5 door to replace the corsa which she loves . strangely there was a very nasty rusty area on the cill which was VERY offputting , especially as it was 14k and only 2 years old . :eek: from solihulls top main dealer

My neighbour has now had a niro for 3 years , everyone is watching to see how he gets on. He is a Dr in environmental stuff and loves it still

My neighbour has now had a niro for 3 years , everyone is watching to see how he gets on.

After three years can I ask what you're waiting for??

We're sat here in intermittent sun/ cloud and the Zoe is currently charging away on Solar PV.......... zero charging emissions ATM.....

Regards

Richard

inertia i guess !!! sounds like you are happy . i would never buy one but other folks here are thinking about replacement cars

After three years can I ask what you're waiting for??

We're sat here in intermittent sun/ cloud and the Zoe is currently charging away on Solar PV.......... zero charging emissions ATM.....

Regards

Richard

How much has all that infrastructure cost you to buy and install?

How much has all that infrastructure cost you to buy and install?

There's a question. The original 10.7kW Solar PV + PW2 c/w Gateway + zappi + eddi was £24k. The rules regarding VAT have changed since my system was installed. We could have cut a lump out of that but I elected to go with the optimisers on each panel.

In addition I have the original (2009) 1.28kW tracker mounted panels and now have a further 2.4kW and (when the mounting screws turn up) another 2.5kW to erect.

I have also bought a Sunsynk 5kW inverter with 4off US5000 PylonTech batteries.

Maximum daily production with the existing system i.e. 10.71kW was 79.1kWh on the 16th June this year. The additional 1.28 + 2.4kW have produced 1144kWh so far this year and both systems have been limited at some point due to the 7.4kWh export limit.

I have Home Assistant running on a RPi 4B (somebody else doing the programming) - this needs more optimising as I need to arrange for the PW2 and PylonTech batteries to be 'empty' as the mid to late afternoon period maximum charging time arrives so we can both export and charger the batteries without having to limit Solar PV production.

I get £1500 a year from FIT payments.

I've done all the number crunching.

Smart meter reading issues are preventing me changing over tariff currently so I can't benefit from the Octopus Flux tariff.

The numbers do add up and make this all worthwhile BUT at this point in time there is no simple way of working systems like this that is available commercially so a lot of people will be put off trying it. You've only got to read a couple FB solar forums to realise a fair number of people have thrown themselves in to this and not really thought about how they were going to use what they had.

Regards

Richard

There's a question. The original 10.7kW Solar PV + PW2 c/w Gateway + zappi + eddi was £24k. The rules regarding VAT have changed since my system was installed. We could have cut a lump out of that but I elected to go with the optimisers on each panel.

In addition I have the original (2009) 1.28kW tracker mounted panels and now have a further 2.4kW and (when the mounting screws turn up) another 2.5kW to erect.

I have also bought a Sunsynk 5kW inverter with 4off US5000 PylonTech batteries.

Maximum daily production with the existing system i.e. 10.71kW was 79.1kWh on the 16th June this year. The additional 1.28 + 2.4kW have produced 1144kWh so far this year and both systems have been limited at some point due to the 7.4kWh export limit.

I have Home Assistant running on a RPi 4B (somebody else doing the programming) - this needs more optimising as I need to arrange for the PW2 and PylonTech batteries to be 'empty' as the mid to late afternoon period maximum charging time arrives so we can both export and charger the batteries without having to limit Solar PV production.

I get £1500 a year from FIT payments.

I've done all the number crunching.

Smart meter reading issues are preventing me changing over tariff currently so I can't benefit from the Octopus Flux tariff.

The numbers do add up and make this all worthwhile BUT at this point in time there is no simple way of working systems like this that is available commercially so a lot of people will be put off trying it. You've only got to read a couple FB solar forums to realise a fair number of people have thrown themselves in to this and not really thought about how they were going to use what they had.

Regards

Richard

What you’ve done is laudable and sounds like it works for you, which is great. You’ll appreciate it’s out of the question for the vast majority for practical and / or financial reasons. Indeed, if millions did what you’ve done, I’d suggest it was an inefficient way of doing things, in the same way stovepipe IT systems are inefficient in large companies. Better to improve things on a macro level than micro.

No, it's more efficient. Central generation is only the norm because power plants can't be built in towns..

Every electricity network in the world is encouraging micro-generation because it's the cheapest way of adding more power to the network while also reducing generator wear. It's a win-win.

Used car prices have been so strong for ages so it’s about time they started to fall. I’ve been watching a Beemer near me, price has come down by £2k in the last month. Dealers have been getting greedy for a while.

Used car prices have been so strong for ages so it’s about time they started to fall. I’ve been watching a Beemer near me, price has come down by £2k in the last month. Dealers have been getting greedy for a while.

Good news if they're starting to fall. What you looking at then? Mrs Ginger rather liked the look of the new 240....

advertisement

Back