advertisement

Should I buy an EV - real world advice needed.

Major fire in a car park at Luton Airport. will no doubt be blamed on an EV before any evidence is found.

Car serviced this morning. Whilst there, chatting to the sales manager who‘s looked after me for 10 years, super chap. Looked at the new Subaru EV and went for a drive. It was very nice, super comfy with all the kit on it. White goods motoring at its finest. Long and the short of it, can’t shift them so the contract hire deal is bonkers good. Quite tempted actually. Wouldn’t buy it with my own money (said they won’t take EV’s in part ex, kiss of death) but to rent for a couple of years for buttons, it might work.

Did a bit of research last night. Seems the claimed range is pie in the sky. Even using the aircon screws it but more worrying is winter use, seems you’d do very well to get 200 miles out of it and likely far less. Nice idea but that’s hopeless. Until there’s a step change in battery tech, for me at least, it’s a second car for running around in, unviable without an ICE car on the drive as well IMHO.

ETA. Ran an insurance aggregator, circa 2.5X current cost.

Last edited:
...and will quite possibly be attributed to an EV after evidence is found.

OK. Two points of view, both speculative.

Whilst an EV may (or may not) have started the fire it certainly involved ICE vehicles as well. The more unnerving aspect is the fire spreading to such effect, but it's not the first time this has happened - see this investigation report from a previous incident at Stavander airport:-

https://risefr.com/media/publikasjo...re-in-stavanger-airport-cark-park-7-january-2

CHE

A couple of years ago, a local shopping centre was so badly damaged it had to close for two years because of a similar fire. Even down to the same make and model of car.

(The car started to catch fire as it was being driven in, but car parks are long, one-way roads with no way to turn around, and the driver had to abandon it for their own safety once it was inside. After that, the same story: inadequate fire suppression allowed it to spread and exposed structural steel meant the whole building was irreparably compromised)

...and will quite possibly be attributed to an EV after evidence is found.

OK. Two points of view, both speculative.

If it is found to be an EV, i have no issue with that as it would be a fact. What I don’t want to see is right wing style culture war propaganda without any evidence

from the BBC, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67073446

Andy Hopkinson, Bedfordshire's chief fire officer, said the service had "no intelligence than to suggest it was anything other than an accidental fire".
He said it was thought the fire started with a diesel car, and then spread through the car park.
He praised his team and confirmed no members of the public were harmed.
The car park, which can hold 1,900 vehicles, did not appear to have sprinklers, according to Mr Hopkinson.
He told reporters that the car park's open sides would have allowed the fire to spread "horizontally" before it went up through the building.
Firefighters were staying on site to monitor the "smouldering remains".

Why would anyone live in a house larger than they need?
In my case because I had the money, its value has almost doubled in 8 years and because there is no effective taxation of property in the UK. I like the extra space and the extra heating is negligible. I spent many years in a poky little house, the current one is a more pleasant place to be. I could have bought a smaller place and invested the rest, but the returns would have been less. I am effectively being paid to live in a house bigger than I need.

BBC are quoting

Note the use of "likely started" and "it is thought" - so doesnt appear definitive unless that has changed

Fire likely started in a diesel car - fire chief​

Fire chief Andy Hopkinson says it is thought the fire started with a diesel car, and then spread through the car park.
He said up to 1,500 vehicles could have been in the car park, which has a capacity of 1,900, at the time of the fire.

Yes it’ ridiculous, Something to do with right wing culture war politics.

I'm sorry, but this seems to be another of your somewhat neurotic posts.

I've never voted for a right of centre political party, but I wouldn't consider buying an electric vehicle at the moment, given their present stage of development. I think you've been watching too much Jeremy Clarkson.

more fire service quotes

Liam Smith, crew commander at Leighton Buzzard fire station, said that when he arrived, the fire was mainly on the third floor.

But it quickly spread down to the lower floors when the third floor started to collapse.

He said there were "lots of electric vehicles potentially involved quite early on".

advertisement

Back