advertisement

Should I bi-wire my speakers?

kristoffer

Danish Hi Fi NERD
Both my speakers (DLS R55 mk2) and amp Carat A57 mk2 are made to bi-wire but right now I use a Chord Odyssey 2 in single wire form and only bi-wire at the speaker end with a piece of Chord Oddysey 2 to the tredble.

Would I get any benefits of buying another cable a bi-wire to the tredble? :confused:

Don't buy the second cable, but if you have a possibility to borrow the cables, try it and eventually buy if you like the improvement (if any).

Both my speakers (DLS R55 mk2) and amp Carat A57 mk2 are made to bi-wire but right now I use a Chord Odyssey 2 in single wire form and only bi-wire at the speaker end with a piece of Chord Oddysey 2 to the tredble.

Would I get any benefits of buying another cable a bi-wire to the tredble? :confused:

More audio ****ery - don't bother.

Your Pal

Louballoo

Replace your jumpers with a bit of the speaker cable you intend to use. Then use your jumpers for goalposts.

Ally

Thanks Ally, I've seen a set of QED Silver Anniversary XT jumpers on eBay that I'm interested in and they look good value at £11.95 + £0.95 p&p.

Pete, you may have noticed that I'm a Junior Member, so every exchange of dialogue helps me to reach the requisite 50 posts that I need to achieve to become a Senior Member.

I know most people think it's a waste of effort and money but I tried it many years ago and was disappointed because there was an improvement (I say disappointed because I didn't really want to spend the extra money). Actually I tried it with mains cable so it wasn't really that expensive. So why not get a few metres of mains cable and try it out? You can also compare your existing expensive pair of single wires to cheaper bi-wiring - an interesting experiment that won't break the bank.

Apologies if this appears a dumb question but, given the choice of two sets of speaker binding posts, which do you use in single-wire form? i.e. do you connect to the upper or lower set?

Eltel459

So thats a couple of posts towards your 50 I have helped you with ;-)

Just makes some links up using the speaker cable you are using, and don't worry about it.

Pete

Pete, the irony is that since joining I have sold to PFM members an iPad 2, Musical Fidelity Watch & Pro-ject phono amp and bought a DAC and Rega P3-24. All transactions completed without a hitch but, due to a change in rules I am now considered a potential scammer. The words sledgehammer and nut spring to mind!

eltel459

It can't be fun to be caught in the rules like you have, but hopefully it will make things safer in the longrun.

Pete

I agree, no easy answer - just my bad luck as I have items that I'd hoped to sell to enable me to buy more from PFM.

Eltel

I use some QED XT400 jumper cables to connect the LF to HF; have used the standard jumper bars in the past as well as Chord Signature cable jumpers & the QED Silver Anniversary ones etc...

I also use Chord Odyssey 2 cable and dont bi-wire even though I could with my Arcam Alpha 10 integrated into my Neat Motive 2's

IMO after many a years of faffing with bi-wiring and single wiring; for me it makes no difference where as, obviously, bi-amping DOES!

I have to say though that replacing the standard jumper bars with some speaker cable jumpers does make a difference (bass is a little tauter and midrange/treble more open)

I also connect the RED plug to the HF and the BLACK plug to the LF

IMAG0006-2.jpg

Eltel

I use some QED XT400 jumper cables to connect the LF to HF; have used the standard jumper bars in the past as well as Chord Signature cable jumpers & the QED Silver Anniversary ones etc...

I also use Chord Odyssey 2 cable and dont bi-wire even though I could with my Arcam Alpha 10 integrated into my Neat Motive 2's

IMO after many a years of faffing with bi-wiring and single wiring; for me it makes no difference where as, obviously, bi-amping DOES!

I have to say though that replacing the standard jumper bars with some speaker cable jumpers does make a difference (bass is a little tauter and midrange/treble more open)

I also connect the RED plug to the HF and the BLACK plug to the LF

IMAG0006-2.jpg

Where's the logic in that?

advertisement

Back