advertisement

Shopped at Sainsburys recently? BEWARE- check your bank

I respect you guys who decide to stay old school but it's utterly alien to me as to why you wouldn't want to keep on top of things by taking advantage of the amazing tools that are provided.

Perhaps in 20-30 years others will say the same about me, but I fully intend to make every effort to stay in touch with tech as it moves on and I get older.
Some of us pre-date tech by quite a margin. I'm always amazed by people who can't make things by hand!

A fair few years ago my credit card was defrauded for several grand. Among things that were bought were return flights to Nigeria. The cc card company took no action. We informed Air France.
When we queried how it could have happened the cc company asked us if we used Amazon for purchases. They went no further in explanation.
They also wanted me to report it to plod.
I refused, saying it wasn’t me that had been defrauded but them as it wasn’t costing me a penny.

This is why I now never use a debit card online.

Quite right, if you’d tried to report a crime the police would almost certainly have refused to give a ref on the basis of what you said. I worked for a financial services co for years and towards the end the police made it very difficult to report crimes.

This is why I now never use a debit card online.

Debit card? I rarely use my debit card, except to activate my pin sentry; can't see the point, as a credit card allows much more budgeting time, and even charity shops now take credit cards; there are exceptions though.

Debit card? I rarely use my debit card, except to activate my pin sentry; can't see the point, as a credit card allows much more budgeting time, and even charity shops now take credit cards; there are exceptions though.

On the other hand, nearly all auction houses refuse to accept credit cards.

Credit cards also offer much more consumer protection than debit cards, too.

On the other hand, nearly all auction houses refuse to accept credit cards.

I know that HMRC refuse to accept them (but they would, just to be ornery), but didn't realise businesses such as these refuse also. Oddly, when the law disallowed cr. card surcharges, more shops seemed to accept them, esp. charity shops, one of the few shopping venues I frequent'

Credit cards also offer much more consumer protection than debit cards, too.

Thought that section 75 (???) covered Visa and possibly other debit cards as well. Maybe the coverage is different or other deposit/balance rules apply to debit cards, but I think there is protection.

For those not using Apps and the like to monitor their accounts/ cards, it is worth noting that you can now suspend or stop the card via the app (and restart, as it were). Useful if you suspect fraud, or are not going to be using a card for a while.

PIN can also be changed.

I also have a text or push alert for every transaction; thus quickly able to spot any fraudulent transactions.

How long would it take if you rely on statements and the fraud takes place just after a statement period commences?

I'm 62, so hardly in the first flush of life. This kind of tech makes my life easier, so why not use it?

I'm 62, so hardly in the first flush of life. This kind of tech makes my life easier, so why not use it?

You are compared to me, Simon. :) Nectar keep pestering ( well, sort of) me to download their app. for bonus points. I keep getting coupons to this effect when I shop, too. You need, as far as I understand, a smart phone, which is something i would otherwise never find a use for. Even my 20 year old Nokia is turned off for months at a time. I've no idea why apps are restricted to phones; why can't they be downloaded to a desk-top, for example? Technology seems a bit partisan sometimes.

........I've no idea why apps are restricted to phones; why can't they be downloaded to a desk-top, for example? Technology seems a bit partisan sometimes.

Apps aren't restricted to phones. They can be downloaded to PCs and other devices running Win10, Android devices and Macs, though it's fair to say that not all apps will be available for all platforms.

advertisement

Back