advertisement

Shopped at Sainsburys recently? BEWARE- check your bank

canonman

pfm Member
Yesterday, I took advantage of the 25% off wine discount offer. When paying by card, I was told that there was a problem. Re entered PIN, all OK now.

Checked bank today on phone, 2 identical transactions!

Popped into store this aft. Puzzled looks and zero help. Told to contact bank. Bank confirms that they had had loads of identical complaints about Sainsburys this week. Sainsburys system fault. They say...contact Sainsburys again and ask them to email the bank with an authorisation number.

Rang Sainsburys helpdesk. Zero interest, transferred to store management, zero interest there as well! Point blank refused to email as requested. Ongoing......

Just a heads up to check if it's happened to you.

It's sad that these days you have to resort to social media to get a response. I think it is because the people monitoring social media accounts are empowered to do something about problems. Traditional customer service seems to be failing.

Ooh, thank you. Had exactly this happen to me last week. Will check my card statement which should be here any day now.

Not for that particular card, no.

I could easily fill my phone with apps for all the things I do, but sometimes it's just worth asking "will I do that thing when I've only got my phone?" In this case, the answer was 'not worth the memory space'.

I Would hate to wait up to five weeks to find out my card had been fiddled.

But each to his own.

Statement is literally due tomorrow. I think I can sleep tonight despite concerns over whether my cornish pasty and wholemeal loaf was charged for twice. Had it been a new telly, and the statement was still a week away, then I might have bothered to go online and set up an account with passwords, 2-factor authentication and whatnot, but you know what, I CBA for £3.

This really isn't good news for people who use a card bu,t for various reasons, can find it hard to recall and check a few weeks later. Particularly given the eagerness of shops to try and go 'cashless' and give people no choice in the matter.

You don’t need an app.
You can see your account on line.

Didn't know that, Bob, and I have a Sainsbury's Mastercard. Wasn't aware I could check statements (except by phone) before they arrive. No idea how to though (and my mobile is 20 years old).

use whatever computer you access PFM on then if you don’t have a smart phone.
I can see all pending transactions on my B/card, Halifax card and Tesco MasterCard.
I doubt Sainsbury’s will be any different.

Yeah i see every penny going in and out of my accounts every day. Look at em for max 5 mins each morning. Helped me catch someone helping themselves to a big telly (or whatever costs £1200) from John Lewis with my credit card. Am sure it would have taken a lot longer to sort if I’d not seen it until weeks later.

Yeah i see every penny going in and out of my accounts every day. Look at em for max 5 mins each morning. Helped me catch someone helping themselves to a big telly (or whatever costs £1200) from John Lewis with my credit card. Am sure it would have taken a lot longer to sort if I’d not seen it until weeks later.
How did they get hold of your card and number?

I respect you guys who decide to stay old school but it's utterly alien to me as to why you wouldn't want to keep on top of things by taking advantage of the amazing tools that are provided.

Perhaps in 20-30 years others will say the same about me, but I fully intend to make every effort to stay in touch with tech as it moves on and I get older.

How did they get hold of your card and number?
No idea. Both John Lewis and the credit card company were a bit weird and mysterious about it all. But fair play they credited my account back damn quick and issued new cards etc.

advertisement

Back