advertisement

She's had enough!! Time for a tin-opener thread :)

Go basic.
They don’t last long.
The expensive ones I have had over the years fail as much as a cheap one.

We now use this kind.

e770bcc4-e988-4889-9194-4612f541e046_1.302c8714f9f744430af9f7c4f25b6a5c.jpeg
I tried but after the last of my vintage ones died I found the new ones either don't do the job or just break.

The Brabantia one above is pretty good.

I hear it on good authority that quality isn’t what it used to be however but it does have brand awareness and continues to be a best seller.

It is the same with any long-lived kit of any and all descriptions.
In the vast majority of instances, people waxing lyrical about items that they have had for donkeys' years, and it still funtioning, own something quite or very different to what carries the same brand/model today.

Maybe not applicable to eye-wateringly expensive kit, in the main - stuff like hand-made shoes, but that will be about it

Go basic.
They don’t last long.
The expensive ones I have had over the years fail as much as a cheap one.

We now use this kind.

e770bcc4-e988-4889-9194-4612f541e046_1.302c8714f9f744430af9f7c4f25b6a5c.jpeg
Cant beat these. I've had plenty of openers over the years and they all fail eventually. Some start off being pretty poor at opening tins. I've never had a problem with the old style openers. They are of course more effort to use, which is no doubt why people have been producing different designs.

I do currently use this style of opener, (I can't recall where I bought it), though not this actual one:

2000x2000.jpg

I use one of those standard butterfly jobs with plastic handles. Had it for yonks. Never really occurred to me that a tin opener was something worth investing more than a couple of quid in.

My OH insists on using Ye Olde Stabby Tinne Opener. Not much to go wrong with the device itself but a good chance of losing a finger on the mess of twisted metal it leaves behind.

Had the same issue recently. We went to Dunelm and bought Kitchen Aid stuff. A tin opener and a pizza slice.
Had them a few months and they are robust utensils.

Was thinking about kitchen aid knife set with sharpener but it's so cheap I dare not. Problem for a different thread I guess.

I’m in this game, trying to get a new can opener listed in major high street retailers.
Perhaps as part of your digital marketing and engagement strategy you could provide a longterm 'review' sample to a well known online influencer with an audience of affluent middle-aged men. Whose wife coincidentally has been moaning about their current tin opener.

We have a 'safety' type that does not leave sharp edges. Everyone else in the house hates it because, although safe, it does not allow one to drain the water out of tins of tuna!

I went though this a few years ago after getting frustrated by crap that breaks and happy to pay for non-crap that doesn’t break. I ended up with this Victorinox, it is still working, but still doesn’t feel like the quality I wanted to pay for.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back