Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Elementary

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters
G

Guest432

Following disappointment of the latest Sherlock episodes have started watching elementary and am now hooked, currently watching series 2.

So Sherlock or Elementary, what's your preference?

Terrestrial TV?

Netflix is now £5.99 a month and for that you get to watch vast amounts of series and films, when you want. That's £1.50 a week.
I think the reality is that real-time TV and terrestrial TV is pretty much over. Also, for BBC iPlayer and the ITV & C4 equivalents, or any internet TV source you don't need a TV licence. Having to pay for a TV licence for a feed of limited channels of programmes at specific times is becoming an unmarketable service. It just isn't good enough to compete in this century.
I'm assuming Bob, you haven't seen the wealth of music and arts channels that provide so much that it's hard to choose. I watched a programme last night on the history and meanings of still-life paintings. It was fascinating. I've still got to watch the documentary on Kentucky Bourbon from the other thread.

Elementary here as well. I was finding Benny Cumbersome increasing unlikeable, and Watson (the bloke) increasingly limp and irritating.

Terrestrial TV?
I think the reality is that real-time TV and terrestrial TV is pretty much over. Also, for BBC iPlayer and the ITV & C4 equivalents, or any internet TV source you don't need a TV licence. Having to pay for a TV licence for a feed of limited channels of programmes at specific times is becoming an unmarketable service. It just isn't good enough to compete in this century.

Well, for those large numbers of us without fast broadband the various internet options just aren't feasible. Me, I'm quite happy with Sky & seldom watch programs when they transmit, preferring to record & view at my convenience (and avoid having to watch adverts).

I get all the music and art programmes I have the time to watch on BBC 4, a channel which I would happily pay the license fee alone. I am aware there a lots of other programmes available for purchase. I have just never put much value on TV to pay for it. I have seen none of the US drama series that regularly get talked about on here. The Sopranos, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Friends, etc. all passed me by. As will Elementary. I have Netflix, a subscription to the US version put on my BluRay player by a US guest a while ago using his subscription, so in effect free for me, but apart from old UK TV series I cannot be bothered wading through the dross. Any free time is taken accessing the digital theatre of Berliner Philharmoniker to which I do subscribe.
Make the most of iPlayer without a license while you can, you'll need a license within 5 years, the law change is coming.

Bugger, downloaded all the episodes for seasons 1&2 but couldn't work out the refs to moriarty in season 2 and then noticed on imdb there are 24 episodes in season 1, I only downloaded 13 and so went from season 1 e13 to season 2 e1. On the upside I've got another 11 episodes I can watch now :)

Knew she was a woman but it was only in series 2 e10 where they did the old 'previously on elementary' recap and there were scenes I'd never seen before that I realised I'd missed some episodes.

Been with Elementary since day 1 :cool

Me too.

It's a classy well written and cast show.

Caught a bit of Sherlock the other day. I thought it had all the hallmarks of a poor BBC production and had similarities to Dr Who which I sopped watching when I was a child.

I do still like though the Darleks and the crazy voice that goes along with them.

Both.
They are different animals each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
Sherlock S3 has been weak so far but still enjoyable, just not as good as s1 & 2.
Elementary is a bit of a procedural on the level with Law and Order or NCIS etc.

advertisement

Back