advertisement

SET amp owners

Please tell us more about the speakers.

Pro Cinema Speakers
SET drives 3way Horn 16wpc 108dB , 4x1250wpc drives the Subs
All analogue 2.0 Stereo all analogue above 50hz
All digital 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos Full DSP ( Flat to 9hz ) 64bit / 96hz FPGA external X/over
1x3inch HF
1x10inch Mid
2x15inch LF
2x18inch Sub

movie.jpg

Dashboard4_Newton-1.png

d2FjPTE3NTV4MS44MTIwNTk1MTQ0ODcx_src_9170-rack.jpg

I used to own Mashman’s SJS PSE 2A3 amp (I recognise it from the small mark on the top of the transformer cover!). I traded it in and now use a Kondo Neiro 2A3 amp with my Living Voice Airscouts.

Well spotted! Yes, it was your amp.

Audion Silver Night MkII 300B >>>>> Klipsch Cornwall III.

ORYf5Lb.jpg

I think the Audion’s gain is a tad high for the Cornwalls to be ideal, but nothing terrible. Would suit Tannoys even better maybe. Deco Audio said they can reduce the gain for me but I’m not sure how that could be done, any ideas?

My dream amp would be the Tron Atlantic made by @G T Audio (above), especially now since I see he uses it with the Cornwall IV. I’d certainly rather buy an Tron Atlantic than a car…

Audion Silver Night MkII 300B >>>>> Klipsch Cornwall III.

ORYf5Lb.jpg

They can reduce the gain for me but I’m not sure how that could be done, any ideas?

If there's a capacitor across each of the cathode resistors on the driver stage then simply delete them. Will also remove the sound of the cap, which may/ may not be an improvement :)

Deco chap knows his stuff

Self-built 2a3 SE amp with 10Y input stage in filament bias. Step-up transformer 1:4 on the input, Hammond 1140-LN-C. All DHT system. Love it!

I owned and greatly enjoyed my audio electronic supply (AES) model SE-1 stereo 300B Amp. But I'm about to swap it for a pair of Alan Eaton 45 monoblocks that each put out a staggering 1.5 watts. Staggeringly great sound, that is, via my 94 dB efficient JBL 4430 studio monitors. Yes, both amps have limitations. But, IMHO to criticize such amps and generally, many SET amps for what they don't do is like criticizing a Lotus for not being a Ferrari or complaining that a VW GTI does not carry the load of a Ford F-150 pickup truck.

That's a killer setup. What do you use to feed it? TT? Digital? Both?
Hi,

I've got three sources.
1. Lp12, Stiletto, Radikal2, Ekos, Lyra Etna SL Lambda, Chord Sarum T cable Burmester 100 phono
2. Digital is DCS Network Bridge or CEC belt drive transport and Audio Note Kits DAC 5
3. Naim Nat01 with Ryan Sound Labs output boards (huge upgrade)

The most important bit though is c.3k maybe 3.5K lp's that I've acquired over the last 21 years (might be a rounding error in the age) - Vinyl being my main source.

About to do some renovation work on the house which will then pay big dividends as I plan on treating the room a little, new flooring and custom shelving to house the records which will be behind the main seating position and hopefully provide a degree of diffusion. Hopefully not as extensive as Graham's room mods (which looks amazing)

The world of SET is highly addictive. I have other systems too which provide contrast, but for pure emotional engagement nothing else comes close

I owned and greatly enjoyed my audio electronic supply (AES) model SE-1 stereo 300B Amp. But I'm about to swap it for a pair of Alan Eaton 45 monoblocks that each put out a staggering 1.5 watts. Staggeringly great sound, that is, via my 94 dB efficient JBL 4430 studio monitors. Yes, both amps have limitations. But, IMHO to criticize such amps and generally, many SET amps for what they don't do is like criticizing a Lotus for not being a Ferrari or complaining that a VW GTI does not carry the load of a Ford F-150 pickup truck.
I have an Alan Eaton stereo 45 amp. Love it. More grunt than expected and able to drive Tablette 10’s in a small room. Not the ideal speaker for the amp, but still a nice combo in a small space.

advertisement

Back