advertisement

SET amp owners

bonzo75

horns, planars, tannoys
Hi, can all those who own SETs just state the amps they have, with the associated speakers?

You can additionally add pics of amp and system if required

if there is another such thread please link. Easier to have all SETs guys in one place, difficult to search across the forum.

Thanks

I have a Viva 845 Solistino SET amp was a great combo with avantgarde Uno horns however due to space constraints I no longer have the speakers but could not part with the amp despite my new speakers using about 200 watts of SS power being higly inefiicient. Maybe one day ill get some efficient speakers again and then the Viva will be back in service.

SJS Arcadia PSE 2A3 power amp, although not currently in system. Link to some pics when it was being updated after the internal power supply died.
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?41245-Arcadia-7W-PSE-2A3-Power-Amplifier-Upgrade
I have run it with:
Snell Type C (model with mid and front tweeter on sloping front panel)
Focal Mini Onken (think of plaster dinosaur eggs with mid and tweeter on cabinet with 10" bass driver)
Procac 1S(C)
Neat Petite (originals, which worked much better than expected)

Rethm Gaanam 6C33c 16wpc OTL 2box Integrated + 108dB Cinema Horns
032412Rethm_Gaanam-600.jpg

outline-movie-cinema-audio-system.jpg

Woah! Some of this kit makes my (fairly rare, only briefly made) Icon Stereo 20SE look positively mainstream :)

I used it with Kudos X2 speakers, and it was absolutely up to the task of driving them. A very pleasing sound... but then I went omnidirectional, and Duevel speakers need more oomph than any SET short of a power station can provide... so the Icon is available, should anybody want it. Collection only (from Shrewsbury), mind you - those transformers weigh a lot...

telstar-hr.jpg

Tron Telstar above driving these 900kg Cessaro Liszt's below:

IMG_6583-e1670681594212.jpg

----
discovery-HR.jpg

Tron Discovery above driving Avantgarde Acoustic Gen 2 Duo Omegas below:

g2duo03-e1670682346486.jpg

-----
TRON-Atlantic-9350912_lighter_silver-e1586081663565.jpg

Tron Atlantic above driving Klipsch Cornwall IVs below:

Klipsch_Cornwall_IVwithaguitar-e1670682123335.jpg

All amplifiers perfectly designed to match the high sensitivity of these speakers ensuring extremely low noise and zero hum.

450 Kg per speaker:eek: :eek::eek:

How do you move them @G T Audio ?

Yes, 450kgs per speaker :eek:

I had to replace the suspended wood floor with a reinforced concrete one to take the weight of these speakers, so that was a £10K spend before the speakers even arrived. Fortunately they come in 3 parts so they can be assembled in the listening studio. We got them within millimetres of the correct position, then they were nudged into perfect alignment by Ralph Krebs and myself. Two people are needed to nudge them into place. Each speaker has 4 feet. Each foot has a 4" teflon pad fitted. If they didn't have these you would not be able to nudge them into position. The nudging requires two people to sync their movements together so you get dual force to move them. Each nudge is about 1mm of movement such is their weight. They have been in their current position since July 2014 when they were installed. They sound so realistic I can't ever see me parting with them...

I used to own Mashman’s SJS PSE 2A3 amp (I recognise it from the small mark on the top of the transformer cover!). I traded it in and now use a Kondo Neiro 2A3 amp with my Living Voice Airscouts.

Line Magnetic LM503PA 845 SET's (upgraded/enhanced take on the WE91a) driven by a Line Magnetic LM512CA. Fronted by my Lumin D2 + Plixir Elite BDC w/ Statement DC cable.

Currently driving Chane Music & Cinema L3c stand-mount speakers (6.5" MTM) and, soon, some modern takes on Altec Lansing Iconics with Great Plains Audio 416-8B (AlNiCo) woofers under some modern horns, coupled to a modern Italian compression driver. Fully modern crossover.

Not sure if these are SET's, Audiopax 88s driving custom built Sachito? double mouth Horns.
https://imgur.com/SXUCD2Q

Pentode Si, with some sort of circuitry to make it sound like a triode? I believe there are two KT88 SE amplifiers in each monoblock but I’m not sure if there’s one output transformer or two. I still have an old HFNRR issue with a review of these amps kicking around somewhere. I seem to remember the review pair were orange?

advertisement

Back