advertisement

Server vs streamer; do you need both?

Hope you can help with the following question:

What is the (audio) benefit to having both a server and a streamer and why do you build a system with the former if a streamer can still give you complete access to music stored on an external drive or a streaming service like Quobuz ?’

but this is asked in the following context:
  • I can plug an SSD/NAS drive into the back of say a Naim NDX2 or Auralic Vega (or any other streaming device notwithstanding the fact that most of them seem to also be pre-amps that I don’t need)
  • I can plug an ethernet cable into the back of both and access streaming services
As far as I can tell, the main reason you would have a server is so you can add a Roon Core to it rather than using your laptop.

What have I missed? I’m sure there’s lots.

In our experience, the main benefit to a set up of using a server and network bridge comes from using programs that are processor intensive.

As many people have mentioned, this is mainly for programs such as Roon. The added processing power on the server can (and certainly will) generate further interference in the audio output.

However, having said this, playing audio files directly through a streamer requires further processing power and can add to interference. In which case, it can sometimes be worth considering a server to process your files.

When you have a need for a server, we would definitely suggest considering a network bridge. These can drastically improve the sound quality that is sent through the DAC and, in turn, the amp.

Hope this helps!

If you are at a level where operating systems and software are sounding different (with bit perfect file transmission, no volume normalisation), then OF COURSE you need a server, and a streamer, and an audiophile router, and an audiophile switch, wired up with audiophile Ethernet and USB etc. Or, there's probably a settings or drivers issue somewhere, fixable, causing the differences.

Personally, I have a lot of audio and video content stored on a NAS, which is then doled out to the rest of the house to chromecasts, phones, moode clients and what have you via the office pc which doubles as a plex server and pvr as it has a satellite card installed. When you have a 3mb/s Internet connection and a family of 4 you cannot rely on streaming.

Hi, like previous posts I have replaced my old Vortexbox server with a second hand Innous Zen mini Mk2 1TB at £415, this outputs into my Rega Mk1 DAC bought for £180 with a cord coax cable but I did have to get a USB to Coax convertor as the Zen mini Mk2 is USB out only and the Rega DAC is 16 bit only on USB, coax or Optical are high res.. The Zen Mini Mk 3 has a coax out. So relative cheap solution to my streaming needs, the SQ is outstanding in place of the Sonos connect I was using before. I have around 1800 CD's ripped to the hard drive on the Zen in FLAC plus some downloads, plus I use Tidal and have tried Quobuz as well, I will stick with only one for the future but still deciding.

The Zen mini is basically using LMS software on a Linux based system, just like Vortexbox really, but much better software /GUI and stability, it has built in Tidal / Quobuz / Spotify / Internet radio etc. The GUI is great, easy to set up and import all music from where you have it installed, no problem and it organises it all. Ripping is easy through the GUI and it is fanless so lives in my hifi rack. It also has a UPNP server software and is also a Roon integrated to provide an end point if required. I am using the Peng app for my Apple products, a bit clunky but does serve its purpose, Innous say they are bring out their own app in the next few months or of course you can go to Roon, again I have not decided on this yet.

Innuos support is excellent and they have helped me with a few questions I had in setting it all up from my various sources.

So I do not need a server for music and streaming works fine from the Rega DAC into my Naim 102. I may carry on with the Vortex box for movies unless I can find a better solution as it is quite old now and several versions of OES down, I am not a Linux expert and trying to update it is a bloody nightmare.

Hope this helps, I am not a networking expert at all and know enough to get myself in trouble, so the Zen mini is a revelation, easy to use and no issues and great SQ

Hope this helps

Stew

Personally, I have a lot of audio and video content stored on a NAS, which is then doled out to the rest of the house to chromecasts, phones, moode clients and what have you via the office pc which doubles as a plex server and pvr as it has a satellite card installed. When you have a 3mb/s Internet connection and a family of 4 you cannot rely on streaming.

You have my sympathy, I used to have 20mb and two sons online gaming, while watching youtube etc so streaming was a nightmare.

advertisement

Back