advertisement

sensibly priced fountain pen

Mine is that Pilot Capless. It's a nice thing but I don't have a use for it. I'm only allowed a factory issue metal detectable one-piece pen at work, one that has hundreds of pieces and can leak ink into food factories isn't going to be very popular.

I'm only allowed a factory issue metal detectable one-piece pen at work, one that has hundreds of pieces and can leak ink into food factories isn't going to be very popular.

ink would probably be more nutritious than what your food factories are producing.

vuk.

I'm not sure what's available over the Net, but locally (a shop I can walk to in 20 minutes) I can get a Faber Castell for under a hundred clams.

http://www.write-impressions.ca/pens/fountain-pens/faber-castell-ambition

that would be money down the drain. of what's been suggested here: pelikan or pilot. just forget the rest.

anyhow, if you're coming into town any time soon, you can check out my stuff (limited) and the shops--pretty much everything is available.

vuk.

Vuk,

The Pelikan looks wonderful, but it's $400 Cdn (I did a quick search), which is rather more than I'm willing to spend.

A hundred clams will get me a gorilla or two -- and I really like gorillas -- so I don't want to spend more than that on a pen.

Aren't Faber Castells good pens for the money?

Joe

Its been said before you have to try to see what suits you in your hand. Balance weight & feel.

One of my favourites is a cheaper Pelikan 2000 cartridge & I change inks in the cartridge
but the nicest nibs are gold with a touch of flex in them. All steel nibs are stiff (with the exception of the Reform nibs)

The Pelikan looks wonderful, but it's $400 Cdn (I did a quick search), which is rather more than I'm willing to spend.

that's entry-level for fountain pens and way less than a rega p3. are you saying you want lo-fi junk now?

vuk.

First you have to decide if you want cartridges or bottle-fill. I think bottle-fill is much better, for several reasons:
Less danger of leaks
You can choose your ink, not just the colour but how it flows
You'll always be able to buy ink, cartridge types may change, go out of production, be hard to find, etc.

The Pelikan Souveran is lovely, but there are excellent classic Pelikans between £60 and £150. Not expensive, and very well built.

Vuk,

If $400 is the cost of entry for a decent fountain pen that's more than I'm willing to spend. Sorry, but I have too many financial commitments to be a big spender across the board.

But, really, there's nothing around $100 that's worth considering?

Joe

A decent pen can had for £20 or so - eg Lamy NB all Lamys share the same nib

The max I paid was around euro 65 for a Pelikan 200 in yellow - wrote nicely but was bettered in the hand by others especially vintage.

The Faber Castell Ambition has a sensational nib, however the barrel to steel section where you put your fingers as you hold it is not the most comfortable (the ergonomics on all FC pens is not that brillliant, frankly).

Amazon UK (who will ship to Canada and even take off the VAT) have the Pelikan 200 at £59.44, ($98 CAD) which a pretty good deal. IMO, Pelikan steel nibs are better than their recent gold ones. This M200 would be a pen for the ages - it is a piston filler, and holds a lot of ink. Never any problems with flow. Plus it has an interchangeable nib system - the full range of different nib widths in both steel & gold will fit this pen.

Amazon US have the Lamy 2000, another classic (gold nibbed) pen (1960s Ulm Design School aesthetics) for $123.96 US. There are endless arguments on Fountain Pen Network as to which is the better pen. Eventually, you will have both, so it doesn't really matter which you buy first.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm amazed anyone still actually needs to write anything! The only thing I ever use a pen for these days is to address record mailers, a chunky chisel-head marker and block capitals being my tools of choice. I've entirely forgotten how to write in a traditional cursive manner as I've not had to do so for at least 20 years now - Word Perfect running on DOS rendered pens obsolete for me! I admire people who can write beautifully, but I have no context in which to use such a skill now.

I'm amazed anyone still actually needs to write anything! The only thing I ever use a pen for these days is to address record mailers, a chunky chisel-head marker and block capitals being my tools of choice. I've entirely forgotten how to write in a traditional cursive manner as I've not had to do so for at least 20 years now - Word Perfect running on DOS rendered pens obsolete for me! I admire people who can write beautifully, but I have no context to use such a skill at all now.

tony.

it is awful. the only thing i do is write out some math or programming logic, but it's more like words and numbers with arrows than any sort of flowing text. then there's the periodic doodling. perhaps whem this whole computer fad is over...

in the meantime, maybe you could satrt jotting down those counrty-western lyrics you've been composing ;-)

vuk.

I'm amazed anyone still actually needs to write anything! The only thing I ever use a pen for these days is to address record mailers, a chunky chisel-head marker and block capitals being my tools of choice. I've entirely forgotten how to write in a traditional cursive manner as I've not had to do so for at least 20 years now - Word Perfect running on DOS rendered pens obsolete for me! I admire people who can write beautifully, but I have no context in which to use such a skill now.
Really?!! I'd have thought you printed labels for mailing stuff.

I have been using fountain pens for the last ten years or so. I favour Waterman, and I use mine almost everyday for scribbling notes during meetings but mostly for doodling when I can't be bothered paying attention.

advertisement

Back