advertisement

Sennheiser HD600

When I got my Violectric V281 amp, I got Focal Clears. Then last year, a mate gave me his HD 600s. Wow, plugged into the V281, what a difference! Not a difficult load, but there was a huge difference.

When I got my Violectric V281 amp, I got Focal Clears. Then last year, a mate gave me his HD 600s. Wow, plugged into the V281, what a difference! Not a difficult load, but there was a huge difference.
And the difference???? I have Elears and Utopias as well as old 650s and my h/ph amp (Myryad Z40) clearly delineates between their sonic signatures but still puts their relative strengths in the approx. order one would expect at their price points.

The previous HP amp was an MF x-can v2, modified and okay with the 600s. Now the bass is much clearer, and the mids are too. I'm not so sure about the top end, but that could be my hearing. You need to listen to cans with your amp or, if buying new cans, make sure you are happy with the amp. That v281 was not cheap, but what a piece of kit!

That v281 was not cheap, but what a piece of kit!
Think there's confusion here as i thought you were referring to the sonic ascendancy of the 600s over the Clears. I now realise that it was the improvements wrought by the Violectric to both cans.

I have considered the V when looking for a can amp, but i don't think it gave me what I need; i.e., 2 x can jacks, 3 inputs plus 1 output. I use the lot ! The 20 minute revert to stand-by on mine is a nice touch but the gain switch is pointless (unless I had cans at around 25 ohms or so !!!)

Think there's confusion here as i thought you were referring to the sonic ascendancy of the 600s over the Clears. I now realise that it was the improvements wrought by the Violectric to both cans.

I have considered the V when looking for a can amp, but i don't think it gave me what I need; i.e., 2 x can jacks, 3 inputs plus 1 output. I use the lot ! The 20 minute revert to stand-by on mine is a nice touch but the gain switch is pointless (unless I had cans at around 25 ohms or so !!!)
Err no. The HD600s sound better with the v281 over x can v2. But the Clear are better still. And so they should be, being 6 or 7 times the price.

I now realise that it was the improvements wrought by the Violectric to both cans.
As I said and understood. A good can amp should delineate the differences between cans to a greater degree. Although I only had the HD 650s when I had Naim's Headline (powered by my 552 though) I rarely listened to music through it. Even the h'ph. out of the old Cyrus One which acted as an interim measure was more engaging. The 600/650s are not a difficult load at 300 ohms but they need a wee bit more welly than my Focals at circa 90 ohms.

advertisement

Back