advertisement

Sennheiser HD600

FWIW I really like the bass on my HD600s. I like the balance overall, I’m not a big headphone listener, but for years now I’ve felt they are all I’d ever need and good enough as a reference when fault-finding (either systems or recordings). If I were to change anything about the response I think I’d just add a bit of a ‘BBC dip’. Just a couple of db.

... my primary reason for preferring amps with high output impedance in certain situations is not because they act as an EQ on the frequency response but because they have a loosening or mellowing effect on a headphone’s transient response. IME they slow things down a little and encourage notes to hang in the air for longer.

Hope that helps. :)

When you look at the response variation its slightly less than one dB and I doubt most people would even notice that difference. I suspect that the lower damping factor when using a higher source impedance does indeed make the headphones bass "character" sound a little "under damped". (I'm reluctant to use the term damping factor when talking about headphones but I also don't want to start using vague subjective language).

In my own case, despite having two dedicated headphone amplifiers, both with a low output impedance, I mainly use most of my phones (HD600 included) on the headphone output from my Arcam A80, it's a simple L-pad resister network connected to the main amplifier output. I use it this way for convenience more than anything else but to be honest it sounds quite good. I also suspect that its higher output impedance is having some sort of effect on the lower registers. Most of my preferred headphones are higher impedance units with my Beyerdynamic DT800 being the 600 Ohm edition, and at the other end of the spectrum my AKG501's are about 120 Ohms.

Over on https://education.lenardaudio.com/en/ , he has a few articles that talk to the whole issue around damping and the speaker "Q". you will need to go looking under the subject headings to search them out but it's an interesting read.

FWIW I really like the bass on my HD600s. I like the balance overall, I’m not a big headphone listener, but for years now I’ve felt they are all I’d ever need and good enough as a reference when fault-finding (either systems or recordings). If I were to change anything about the response, I think I’d just add a bit of a ‘BBC dip’. Just a couple of db.

This has been my experience as well; I have never found the HD600's or my DT880's lacking in the lower registers and even my AKG501's with Dekoni velour ear-pads, sound well balanced. When looking at most Gras and B&K measurements these headphones don't fare well with respect to response curves, but I also suspect that the Harman target curve has allot to do with this. In my opinion allot of the newer phones sound too rich in the lower registers as this is the general direction of the Harman target curve and consumers have come to expect this as normal, but now I'm going off topic and sounding like a grumpy old man. 🧐

LPSpinner.

I got one new pair of HD600 since August ,the sound is still dull . it may take sometime to breaking .
Can someone point out one suitable head amp (not portable) ? Thanks ,
I’m using mine with a leak stereo 20 and a headphone tap and they sound spectacular.

Had mine for a number of years and have driven them with several dedicated amps.
My preference is also for valve.
I currently have them plugged into a Little Dot 3, which is a lovely cheap and cheerful amp that I prefer to any of the solid state amps that I’ve tried.

When you look at the response variation its slightly less than one dB and I doubt most people would even notice that difference. I suspect that the lower damping factor when using a higher source impedance does indeed make the headphones bass "character" sound a little "under damped". (I'm reluctant to use the term damping factor when talking about headphones but I also don't want to start using vague subjective language).

In my own case, despite having two dedicated headphone amplifiers, both with a low output impedance, I mainly use most of my phones (HD600 included) on the headphone output from my Arcam A80, it's a simple L-pad resister network connected to the main amplifier output. I use it this way for convenience more than anything else but to be honest it sounds quite good. I also suspect that its higher output impedance is having some sort of effect on the lower registers. Most of my preferred headphones are higher impedance units with my Beyerdynamic DT800 being the 600 Ohm edition, and at the other end of the spectrum my AKG501's are about 120 Ohms.

Over on https://education.lenardaudio.com/en/ , he has a few articles that talk to the whole issue around damping and the speaker "Q". you will need to go looking under the subject headings to search them out but it's an interesting read.

This has been my experience as well; I have never found the HD600's or my DT880's lacking in the lower registers and even my AKG501's with Dekoni velour ear-pads, sound well balanced. When looking at most Gras and B&K measurements these headphones don't fare well with respect to response curves, but I also suspect that the Harman target curve has allot to do with this. In my opinion allot of the newer phones sound too rich in the lower registers as this is the general direction of the Harman target curve and consumers have come to expect this as normal, but now I'm going off topic and sounding like a grumpy old man. 🧐

LPSpinner.

All of that!

Re: simple L-pads - it really can work, due to the way it bolsters LF quality with old-Senn 'diffuse-field equalisation' being based on resistance-control of the diaphragm - not mass-control, like (say) loudspeakers; and most modern, lower-impedance headphones.

The best I've ever heard my HD565 Ovations sound - and I stlil have and love them after 25yrs - is via an L-pad, with 120ohm output impedance per old IEC specification these things were designed to agree-with - fed from a modified Quad 405-2. Epic bass extension, and timbre. Hilarious overkill, too. I've a great serviced 306 to hand, so must revisit this avenue soon.

( and yes I've built a couple of dozen of DIY homebrew can amps of different flavours and approaches, and own a beast of a commercial one. Time for a Grand Summit review , in the darker days this winter, to see if I've learned anything is 20yrs + of messing-about...)

I team up the HD600 with Hifiman EF400 ,transforms the sound into a different level ,I even hear instrument that was almost
non-existence before . ( My imagination ? )
...and its sound quality makes me listening music for hours

It's good to know that you have been able to bring the 600s to life. I love the HD range, but they do need a decent amount of power to drive them properly. Happy listening!

I team up the HD600 with Hifiman EF400 ,transforms the sound into a different level ,I even hear instrument that was almost
non-existence before . ( My imagination ? )
...and its sound quality makes me listening music for hours
Interested to know what you were using initially when they sounded dull, for future reference.

I have Schiit Magni 2, X-Can mk2, RME DAC and then the socket on my Yamaha A-S3000 amp as alternatives for my headphones. When folks talk about driving HD600 properly what amps would drive significantly better than these?

I ask because I expect I’ll sell my HD600 soon but if an amp revealed a listening experience I simply haven’t heard before then it might stop me in my tracks, as sometimes happens in our hifi journey.

I have Schiit Magni 2, X-Can mk2, RME DAC and then the socket on my Yamaha A-S3000 amp as alternatives for my headphones. When folks talk about driving HD600 properly what amps would drive significantly better than these?

I ask because I expect I’ll sell my HD600 soon but if an amp revealed a listening experience I simply haven’t heard before then it might stop me in my tracks, as sometimes happens in our hifi journey.

Assuming they are functioning without issue, it could be their neutral balance and lack of exaggerated width is not for you. There is nothing in your amp options that should hold them back, they are not exotic Planar levels of difficult to drive. I often use the headphone sockets from a couple of vintage Sansui integrated amps I have knocking around to good effect.

Thanks both, yes that’s what I have assumed given that they compete with Meze 109 Pro and LCD-X latest version in the house on the same amps.

Yes, the 490 Pro uses the HD560S / Neumann NDH30 driver.

Pro Sennheiser and consumer Sennheiser are now 2 separate companies. The Sonova takeover was only the consumer division.

Sennheiser Pro also makes the Neumann headphones (which looks a bit like the HD630VB model).

Interestingly, from the two youtube videos the thing I got was how bright the HD600's sounded compared with the original digital file. As a HD600 user of many years I do recognise that trait and I was actually quite impressed with how similar the HD490 pro's in production mode sounded to the original. The HD650's were also tonally closer but I never liked them compared to the 600's. The HD490's in mixing mode actually sound like the 600's but better

Obviously I made a point of listening on my main system speakers to reach that conclusion (which are active NBL's in case anybody needs to ask).

Those 490's certainly warrant further investigation!

The other thing that really piqued my interest was the HP correction software. Is it possible to buy that as a separate thing? If I could make my 600's sound "more correct" it would certainly be of interest to me.

advertisement

Back