advertisement

Sennheiser HD 800

I'm not surprised: I've owned 800's (not 800S) twice and went to 650's from there. I don't think anyone would think the 650 was a "better" headphone, it's just a "nicer" presentation for some people. The 800 is obviously a far superior headphone IMO, but it's just too analytical sounding to be the right long term headphone for many of us. I've tried mods and eq tweaks to the 800. They do help but the basic signature is always there (for me, at least). Will have to try an 800S at some point as I absolutely love the soundstage of the 800

Be grateful if you like the HD800 (I wish I did!), it's a fantastic headphone and amazing value for the level of quality that you get.
HD800 are dreadful things if you listen to music rather than analyse it and the sub bass is none existent making them woefully unbalanced. I spent a fortune on various amps like the Woo Audio WA2, Burson Virtuoso etc, did the 2 famous mods they never really improved. They were great for PC gaming though.
The HD650 despite being technically inferior is a far more coherent headphone IMO

HD800 are dreadful things if you listen to music rather than analyse it and the sub bass is none existent making them woefully unbalanced.

You forgot to add 'in my opinion'.

I don't analyse music and I love my HD800. People are different, you know? Perhaps you and I just have differently shaped ear canals? Who knows.

Anyhow, enjoy your 'inferior' HD600 ;)

You forgot to add 'in my opinion'.

I don't analyse music and I love my HD800. People are different, you know? Perhaps you and I just have differently shaped ear canals? Who knows.

Anyhow, enjoy your 'inferior' HD600 ;)
Yeah I should have put my opinion and apologies for touching a nerve.
Actually on reflection, referring to the HD650 as technically inferior was wrong. They are undeniably better balanced, play any genre of music and respond far better to EQ so I guess that makes them superior. The HD800 were famously badly tuned to give them their "soundstage" after all

Yeah I should have put my opinion and apologies for touching a nerve.
Actually on reflection, referring to the HD650 as technically inferior was wrong. They are undeniably better balanced, play any genre of music and respond far better to EQ so I guess that makes them superior. The HD800 were famously badly tuned to give them their "soundstage" after all

Chill man. Have a good weekend filled with well tuned, better balanced listening with any genre of music you'll want to respond to.

advertisement

Back