advertisement

Selling record collection tips?

Hope that helps!
Graham.

That's almost as bad as wet cleaning a whole collection!!!! Might have missed this, but are values when found automatically enhanced or lowered according to the current market place? Seems a lot of trouble 6 years ago if you don't have access to a quick current value.

I'm part way through cataloguing my collection on Discogs in pretty much the same way as Graham. I think the values are constantly updated based on recent sales, so once the collection is in the value updates every time you log on, unless I've read it wrong.

I'm part way through cataloguing my collection on Discogs in pretty much the same way as Graham. I think the values are constantly updated based on recent sales, so once the collection is in the value updates every time you log on, unless I've read it wrong.
This is correct , Discogs shows Minimum , Median and Maximum value of your collection based on a recent sale history , also in Collection view you can see eacj individual record data (Min, Med, Max) . It takes lot of time but it's definitely worthwhile ,

Yes the Min, Median and Max values are dynamic for both the whole collection and for individual items. So since I completed the job I have seen minor fluctuations up and down, as I presume particularly expensive transactions, fall out of the calculation window, but the trend has been up.
The reason I decided to catalogue the whole collection was for precisely this reason. When I was building the majority of the collection, in the 1985-2000 period only a few "saddos" seemed interested in LP's. If you were after music and not first edition collectabilia, stuff was dirt cheap. At that time, I was not really bothered about the value of the collection as I had relatively little money invested in it. If it utterly crashed, I had the music!. Where we are now, with some of the values indicated by Discogs, apparently based on real sales, it is a little more difficult to be quite so casual about what the collection might be worth.

To anyone thinking of making a start, Discogs has some useful sorting features too. You can obviously sort on Artists alphabetically, but also Min, Med or Max price or on condition or on category. (I only have Classical and unclassified in my collection, maybe one day!)
The price sorting is useful. Whenever I look I often have a new entry in to the top 100 Max values. I then look at the median and Min prices as a sense check. If it reads £34.75 £76.00 £175.00, then that looks about right, that item is on the up.
However, If it is £3.75 £6.86 £112.00 perhaps it is just an item recently sold by a 30 year old band, signed by all 5 original members, 4 of whom are now dead!
I will also second something I think I read from earlier in this thread. Discogs does help you to identify certain trends, like the value of early to mid nineties vinyl. As I continued to buy new Vinyl into the early mid nineties, until it started to get too expensive for me (probably about £8.50 LOL),
I can see a lot of those items are highly sought after and that is reflected in the prices. Strange that the sound quality from this era was not the best.

If you press in "Statistics" on "Last Sold" , date is active it opens another window with specific view on history of last sold records with the prices , grading and comments

advertisement

Back