advertisement

Selling record collection tips?

Fretbuzz

pfm Member
Thinking of setting adrift the analogue side of things, including all but some sentimental records.

I was just going to (whilst off this week) photograph and do the descriptions of everything before sticking them on an auction site next weekend, and order a load of record postage envelopes meantime.

Any tips around doing this please? Or better place to sell them?

I'd always prefer to sell things privately but a) seems limited to five/month here; b) not sure what a lot of them would be worth.

Cheers.

Discogs is probably the best place to start. Be patient & unless you need the space urgently just sell off over an extended period.

If you sell as a job lot you will get less. Tony is probably the man to advise though.

Discogs. To sell or just get a good idea of value. I sold most of mine to a pal who is going to open a second hand record shop and looking for stock - gave me 40p in £1 on agreed value which I was happy with to avoid hassle of selling them myself. Gave me enough to buy a P8 and phono stage for the records I kept.

I'm using Discogs to get rid of my CD collection, I'm definitely getting more money than if I sold as a "job lot" but it's obviously a much slower process.
The Discogs site is very good for listing stuff as it is quick and easy and gives you a suggested value, it comes at a price though as I think they take 10%, this and the Paypal fees have to be factored in
I had to sort the wheat from the chaff though so to speak as some CD's you can't giveaway, they're next to worthless
Out of a collection of circa 700 CD's I listed just over 300 (I didn't list anything that was worth less than a fiver)
Since November last year I've sold approx 70 CD's and made about £800
Some of the above might apply to vinyl

I'm guessing another issue wrt to vinyl would be assessing quality. I've no intention of selling any of mine, but I imagine the quality of my collection ranges from 'not bad' to 'completely shagged', and have no idea of how I'd judge/rate them, other than obvious scratches. (Less of an issue with CDs, obvs).

Thanks. I have had a quick look at Discogs but it seems more of stick something on there and hope someone buys it? Not sure I can be that patient!, even if it it might better in the long run. I'd prefer to just get it done, even if means taking a touch less on balance. But, yes good for getting ide of prices I guess.

As fegs says, some of these will be pretty worthless and I'll just charity shop them.

Didn't realise Discogs take 10% either, plus PP fees... Either way I'll look in to that more.

I'm guessing another issue wrt to vinyl would be assessing quality. I've no intention of selling any of mine, but I imagine the quality of my collection ranges from 'not bad' to 'completely shagged', and have no idea of how I'd judge/rate them, other than obvious scratches. (Less of an issue with CDs, obvs).
That's the other thing. New stuff is easy, but the used much harder - I'll have to see what seems worth selling vs charity shop.

Put the album inside a plastic sleeve in case it gets wet in the mail, which it might. And use sturdy packing, including card stiffeners, in case it gets bent in the mail, which it might.

I got a record from Discogs two days ago visibly bent because the package wasn't stiff enough. It had also clearly been wet but the record was ok because it was in a polly bag.

I use Discogs and sold items on eBay to get an idea of likely prices, then set somewhere between median & highest sales on Discogs (depending on condition) and sell on eBay when they have their '£1 listing' weekends. These come round every couple of weeks, so you'll only lose £1 in commission rather than 10%. Describe condition in painstaking detail, especially if there's any damage to disc or sleeve; avoids any comebacks.

Make sure you save your favourite albums on whatever streaming app you have. So when the LP's been sold you can still listen to the music.

Sell them to a used record shop. Selling them one and one takes a lot of time and effort.

A record shop will generally give you around a third of what they'll then price it up at for sale. Selling individually does, indeed, demand a little time & effort, but will make you a LOT more money.

My main tip would be that you should be really, really sure you want to do this before you sell! Full disclosure: I'm kind of a ridiculous fundamentalist WRT selling records. I can't even bring myself to get rid of duplicates.

All that said, perhaps Tony might be interested?

Depends on how many records you have to shift and how much time you have.

I would start by cherry picking anything worth decent money and selling those on Ebay/Discogs.

A record shop will generally give you around a third of what they'll then price it up at for sale. Selling individually does, indeed, demand a little time & effort, but will make you a LOT more money.
It depends on how you value you time.
Selling hundreds of common records, answering questions, grading them, cleaning them, buying envelopes, packing them, going to the post office etc. all takes a lot of time = money.
Sell them at a record shop. The cherry picking is a good strategy, but then the record shop won't accept the ones that are not cheerries, because the hope to get some cherries when buyin a collection.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm not in a rush and don't want to undersell them; nor do I want it to turn in to an aching o' the plums. Selling the better ones seems a good place to start - see what flow develops.

Make sure you save your favourite albums on whatever streaming app you have. So when the LP's been sold you can still listen to the music.

Aye - thanks. I actually have most of them on CD anyway, but good call.

My main tip would be that you should be really, really sure you want to do this before you sell! Full disclosure: I'm kind of a ridiculous fundamentalist WRT selling records. I can't even bring myself to get rid of duplicates.

All that said, perhaps Tony might be interested?

Ha, I'm already getting quite sad at the thought of selling them - well some of them. Sentimental soul. It just makes life sense now.Some I'll keep for sure though.

Funnily enough, on reflection, it's the CD collection I'm (even) more sentimentally attached to as they're what I grew up with. Vinyl followed.

advertisement

Back