advertisement

Second tonearm, second phono stage?

Dusty records with an RCM cleaned record? Not sth I come across often. I had a 5mm thick acrylic cover made locally to my spec's a few years ago (cost me about £70 I think). It's pretty big and sits on the Target table with inches to spare; heavy though.
Not dusty-dusty, just that a stylus doesn’t stay pristine forever even with clean records, or not here anyway. Think the lid was about that cost-wise, but sized for a Spacedeck with one arm not a Dais with two. Once I get everything else sorted I guess I may order a bigger one.

I tried the two arm thing and it didn’t work for me so I have two turntables in my main system instead. One turntable sports a mc cartridge, the other is mm and each has its own phono stage which just makes things so much easier.
This is kind of the way the thought process was going; if they are going to be different arms and different carts, then different phono stages also increases/enhances those points of difference - different turntables even more so.

I can build you a Tron Seven with dual inputs, either MM and MC or 2 x MC inputs as I have a few chassis's left. Obviously this is a larger solution than the Convergence.
Still musing on the possible benefits of the Atlantic pre, hence the question the other day about space in that chassis. As it stands, the Seven-line plus Convergence is an excellent listen, so the simplest option is a second standalone phono to plug into the Seven.

Greetings Robert. Pleased you have finally got the second arm set up. As you know I found the phone section on the 912 perfect for ease of use with two arms. With variable settings for loading and gain it Is good for any cartridge available today.
To compare the sounds from different cartridges I often used to play both arms at the same time on a record and just switch between phono 1 and 2. Simples. 😗

5s1xqjv.jpg

Greetings Robert. Pleased you have finally got the second arm set up. As you know I found the phone section on the 912 perfect for ease of use with two arms. With variable settings for loading and gain it Is good for any cartridge available today.
To compare the sounds from different cartridges I often used to play both arms at the same time on a record and just switch between phono 1 and 2. Simples. 😗

5s1xqjv.jpg
Morning Russell. Fair bit of toing and froing with NA to get the right bits (once Penny had got over the shock of hearing you had parted with the Dais!) but we are there now. I remembered you had an EAR with handy functionality but didn’t recall which one. I’m assuming there are two completely independent phono circuits in side, such that you can instantly switch between the two? Which is to say, it isn’t doing lots of internal switching each time. Or are the circuits separate up to a point, and then come together closer to output?

Whilst it is nice to have different turntables, tonearms and cartridges, in my experience with a number of customers over the years, they end up just using the best sounding combination, the one they use all the time. Then end up selling off the others that rarely get used...

Morning Russell. Fair bit of toing and froing with NA to get the right bits (once Penny had got over the shock of hearing you had parted with the Dais!) but we are there now. I remembered you had an EAR with handy functionality but didn’t recall which one. I’m assuming there are two completely independent phono circuits in side, such that you can instantly switch between the two? Which is to say, it isn’t doing lots of internal switching each time. Or are the circuits separate up to a point, and then come together closer to output?
I can’t answer your question but can send you circuit diagram provided by TdP

There is only one phono stage in the EAR 912. It just has a number of controls on the front which offer the different gain, loading etc. Therefore, there is a lot of internal circuit board tracks with relay and switch connections in the signal path.

3276610_EARYoshino912-4.jpg

in my experience with a number of customers over the years, they end up just using the best sounding combination, the one they use all the time. Then end up selling off the others that rarely get used...
I resemble the first sentence, if not (yet) the second. I think there's a case for mono cart's, or maybe sth very different, like a Decca or possibly SPU. Mind you, the different presentations of the same MC cart. on different arms (and esp. unipivot v. gimbal) are both interesting and marked.

I tried that once and it just confused me as I thought I'd regressed to quadraphonics ! :D Hiya Russell and I hope you're faring well. With your gain switch set to 0dB I wonder what super high output MC needed that, though I guess it just slipped.

One caveat with the the 912, if indeed it's a criticism, is that the gain switch only operates on phono, whereas it would come into its own on CD, for example. Mine is always at the -6 dB detente.

I can’t answer your question but can send youcircuit diagram provided by TdP
There is only one phono stage in the EAR 912. It just has a number of controls on the front which offer the different gain, loading etc. Therefore, there is a lot of internal circuit board tracks with relay and switch connections in the signal path.

3276610_EARYoshino912-4.jpg

Like everything in life there are always compromises. I decided to have a preamp with inbuilt phono stage to reduce the box count for my turntable with two arms. Another solution would be preamp and two separate phono stages with the necessary interconnects.
Phono stages come in differant forms. Some with adjustment for cartridge internal impedance and some without.
I have had the 912 for seventeen years and in that time must have used at least that number of cartridges, both mine and loan ones from friends. With a few clicks I can set the internal impedance and adjust the gain to keep below 0dB on the metres.
All to get optimum performance from each cartridge.
simples.
I used a SME 3012R from a very valued source for mono cartridges and SPU Anniversary 95 and stereo cartridges on the other arm.
Because of age, health and eyesight I now use a simpler Technics G. I’ve been setting up arms and cartridges since the early 70’s but time moves on.
happy listening

Certain models of the Tron Seven had dual inputs. They could be specified as 2 x MM or 2 x MC or one of each. Another version had dual MC inputs with 2 gain settings for either input and all switchable.

TRON-Seven-Phono-Mono-1005689-e1706909236858.jpg

advertisement

Back