advertisement

Second/spare hi-fi systems.

Sony MP3 player > AVI DM5 active speakers

My second system which is used in the kitchen is a simple at it gets. Still sounds great though.

Interesting thread.

We listen to our second system (equipment in the study, with loudspeakers in the kitchen) for about 3 hours a day, whereas the lounge system probably only averages 30 mins a day. We have just bought a pair of Chario speakers from MAX which retailed at nearly £2000 (Jon (John?) only asked £799 for them). They have given the kitchen a real WOW!! Rega/TEAD/Hovland front end is really OTT, but the amount of use the system gets justifies it in our view. The TEAD Vibe and Hovland Radia were bought secondhand so didn't break the bank, and the Apollo-R is reasonable at new price.

Nic P

I may need treatment.

2) (opposite system 1)

Rega Planet CD, Sansui TU-317 tuner, Nakamichi 480 and CR2 decks
Apogee MiniDAC receiving a long coax from the 1) system (for Hafler surround)
DIY pre (Orca-like), LFD PA0
KEF Q-Compact speakers

3) (next to systems 1 and 2)

Raspberry Pi + Moode streamer
TEAC UD-501 DAC
TEAC HA-501 headphone amp
Sony MDR-MA900 headphones

4) (living room)

Pioneer BDP-140 BD player
Marantz NR-1603 smart AV receiver
Tannoy Revolution DC6T and DC4 speakers

5) (game room)

Sony PS4 console
Pioneer SX-S30DAB smart receiver
Tannoy DC4 speakers

6) (home office)

TEAC A-H01 DAC/amp
Quad L-ite 2 speakers

Plus lots of unused things, being spares, in repair, the kids', or just for the heck of it (including a rising number of somewhat interesting cassette decks).

I am not Tim Jarman or Adam Smith.

Classical flat earth 2nd (office) system here:

Onix OA21s & Epos ES11

The kitchen sports a Squeezebox Boom, might count as a third system.

2nd systems should always be something you like and bought for good money, but now are bettered.
Or
they fit in the space

3rd set-up in Kitchen:
AudioSmile Little British Monitors (small active speakers):
- Source 1: Bluetooth from mobile phones
-Source 2: 15 meter long cable from the preamp in my main rig, an EAR 912 (pre out no. 2). Access to computer playback (remote controlled - JRiver / Gizmo) + CD playback + vinyl playback.

2nd set-up in Livingroom:
AVM C6M all-in-one (TV-sound, Tuner, CD, DAC) + CAPS Music Player (computer streamer) into Amphion Argon 3L speakers

1st set-up in my study:
47 Laboratory 4722 Lens speakers, Amcron / Crown D150 series II power amp, EAR 912 preamp, computer playback (ESI Juli@ coax out), Audio Note CDT Zero transport, Audio Note Dac 3 1x, Amazon Audio Reference 1 / Morch UP4 / Benz Gullwing SLR, B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck.

2nd systems should always be...

Bits you have left over, projects you have been working on up in your shed, morphing into a system your not afraid to swap about, when you want to leave your main system intact. Something you can enjoy late into the evening and lets you use all of those bits you have laying around.

Bits you have left over, projects you have been working on up in your shed, morphing into a system your not afraid to swap about, when you want to leave your main system intact. Something you can enjoy late into the evening and lets you use all of those bits you have laying around.
Yep, that’s pretty much what mine is, with the exception of my Royd Sapphires that I bought to scratch an itch and fell in love with.

Well none of my systems are quite as grand as the second systems here (including my main system) but will list them anyway .

Spare bedroom / Computer room - This is my main place to listen outside of the main music room Joggler 02 converted to Squeezelite player , Perpetual Technology PA-1 PA-3 Sampler and DAC , AVI s2000 Pre Amp , netgear Modified Quad 405 , KEF 103 .

Kitchen - Joggler 02 Player , Micromedia DAC Cyrus 1 plus Power Supply , Logic DM101 / Rega B300 / Rega Cartridge , Rodgers Flat Wall speakers (around 1959)

TV Room - Amazon Fire TV box / BT Box , LG 4K TV 55" , Onkyo TR650 AV Amp , Harbeth Compact Monitors front speakers , Canon S30 Surrounds

Each of them is perfectly reasonable to listen to for long periods and give me the option I want of music in every main room .

Well none of my systems are quite as grand as the second systems here (including my main system) but will list them anyway .

Spare bedroom / Computer room - This is my main place to listen outside of the main music room Joggler 02 converted to Squeezelite player , Perpetual Technology PA-1 PA-3 Sampler and DAC , AVI s2000 Pre Amp , netgear Modified Quad 405 , KEF 103 .

Kitchen - Joggler 02 Player , Micromedia DAC Cyrus 1 plus Power Supply , Logic DM101 / Rega B300 / Rega Cartridge , Rodgers Flat Wall speakers (around 1959)

TV Room - Amazon Fire TV box / BT Box , LG 4K TV 55" , Onkyo TR650 AV Amp , Harbeth Compact Monitors front speakers , Canon S30 Surrounds

Each of them is perfectly reasonable to listen to for long periods and give me the option I want of music in every main room .

You’ve got some nice kit there buddy!

Mine started like that, then it overtook the main system.
I imagine this isn't uncommon.

System 2 in the rear lounge is Chromecast (Plex, spotify iplayer etc.) & TV via co-ax into cambridge audio dacmagic into a Denon ADV M71 DVD micro system & Myryad A170 speakers, the mega-minimal system 3 (if you can even call it that) in the office consists of fostex PM0.4 monitors fed by a dragonfly dac and the PC.

System 3 is a bit pants, to be honest, but system 2 is a cracker and the one on the house that gets most use.

Lounge

Shahinian Obelisks
Modwright LS 36.5 / KWI 200
Border Patrol DAC
OL Resolution mk3 - PU7 - Koetsu
Whest PS.30 rdt SE
Schiit Valhalla 2 - Senn HD650

Bedroom

Sonos Connect amp
Q acoustics 2020i

Kitchen

2 x Sonos Play 1 speakers (stereo pair)

Office - spare room

Tune Audio Primes (until they are sold)
Snell Type K mk1
Naim UnitiQute
SB Touch - Chord Mojo

Makes it sound like a big house but it's really just a modern 2up 2down.

Lounge

Shahinian Obelisks
Modwright LS 36.5 / KWI 200
Border Patrol DAC
OL Resolution mk3 - PU7 - Koetsu
Whest PS.30 rdt SE
Schiit Valhalla 2 - Senn HD650

Bedroom

Sonos Connect amp
Q acoustics 2020i

Kitchen

2 x Sonos Play 1 speakers (stereo pair)

Office - spare room

Tune Audio Primes (until they are sold)
Snell Type K mk1
Naim UnitiQute
SB Touch - Chord Mojo

Makes it sound like a big house but it's really just a modern 2up 2down.
Haha, same here... I don’t live in a mansion by any means.

My humble office system:

Micromega Drive 3 - CD transoprt;
Audio Alchemy DAC in the Box - DAC;
Musical Fidelity X-Cans v1 - headphone amp;
AKG 240 Sextett - headphones.

Bedroom -

Chromecast Audio
Cambridge Audio A3i
Tannoy Mercury M2 (both of these turned up at my house recently from my mum clearing stuff out, found to be my dads old second system (with an appropriate era Technics SL-PG580A CD player that also still works!) I think he's gonna be surprised when he finds out i've got em

Kitchen -

Ruark R2 Mk3

Lounge

Modded naim rig
Planar 9 Carbon with Orfoton Rohmann
Rega m/c stage
NDS/DR555 ps
552/DR PS
Nap500 on top speaker module
Avondale m130 on bass module
Shahinian hawks

Dining room
Fed from tape loop loo on 552
Nap140
Divore Fedelity Gibbon 9
(Sounds amazing, goes to prove supremacy of source/preamp)

Office
SME/20 AT37E cartridge
Dartzeel 18nsb pre amp / 108 nhb power
HDX / Teddydac (also feeds the NDS)
Wilson Watt/Puppy 8

TV room
naim 72 with Avondale cards and power supply
Nap90 (old shoebox)
Naimdac

The office/main system are obviously the best. The lounge system Wins on digital but I think the office is going to be awesome on phono once I upgrade the cartridge.

Cable is a mix, teddy cable, Avondale and naim

advertisement

Back