advertisement

Second/spare hi-fi systems.

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I don’t remember seeing a thread specifically about 2nd. Systems. I know that many of us have systems in another room and my current 2nd. System is in what I loosely call my office, in a small bedroom vacated when my son left home.

This one is the best 2nd. system I’ve had and it consist:

LP12/Kore/Lingo/Acoustic Signature Badged-AO modified RB250/Dynavector DV20XL

I also have a Norton AirPower, which one of these days I’ll get around to comparing to the Lingo.

Nakamichi 600 Cassette Deck

Naim NAC 42.5/ Avondale TPR4 modified Naim Hi-Cap.

The Amplifier started life as a NAP120, but when I bought it here on pfm, the amp bits had been stripped out and it had been converted to a snaps type PSU. So, using the original frame transformer and rectifier, I fitted NAM amplifier boards and an Avondale NAP110 PSU upgrade module.

The Loudspeakers are Mk 1 Linn Kans mounted on Sound Organisation wall mounts and the loudspeaker cable is Linn K20.

The Digital stuff is through a Toshiba Laptop/ M2Tech HiFace Two USB Interface Converter, through a Maplin DAC fitted with a Linear power supply.

I intend to rotate amplifiers through the system; I have 2 x NAC12 pre-amps, a NAC22/NAP120 and enough bits in my workshop to build at least 2 more Power Amps. I have a spare Nap250 sleeve and an empty case that I bought from Witch Hat, another set of Naim boards, a populated set of Avondale boards, and some blank Avondale boards too. So, much fun to be had if I ever find the time!

This system gets a lot of use, especially in the evenings.

The other point is, that a lot of it was bought here on pfm from the classifieds!

• The Linn Kore chassis.
• The DV20XL
• One of the NAC12’s
• The Nakamichi 600 Cassette Deck
• The NAC42.5
• The NAP120 Chassis.
• The NAP 120 power amp.
• The Linn Kans.
• The Sound Organisation wall brackets.
• The NAIM and Avondale amp boards.

I’ll try to get some pictures up at some point.

That sounds very decent!

The thing I love so much about my second system (Marantz 8005 SACD, Audio Synthesis Passion, Leak Stereo 20 and JR149s) isn’t just that it is a seriously good little system by any benchmark, but the contrast with the big full-range Lockwood Tannoy rig. They each have their own different perspective on the music and I honestly don’t know which I prefer. For decades now I’ve loved huge studio monitors to fill a room and tiny mini-mnitors in the extreme near-field and not had a lot of time for the ‘normal-sized’ stuff in between so owning good examples of both system genres makes total sense for me. I find some music favours one, some the other, some sounds great on both, so by the time I’ve got to know a piece across both systems and likely headphones too I feel I know it well. I would only return to a single system if there really was no conceivable option to run two.

Primary - SBT, Pioneer DVD, Tascam DA3000, Audiolab 8000C Pre, Musical Fidelity Power, Quad 22L

Secondary - TV/DVD/BR, Quad Vena, Quad 11L

Thirdly - SBT/PC/Digi Recorder/BR, NAD C315, Tannoy Sensys

Fourthly - Cambridge Audio CD/Amp, TV & DVD, Quad 9L

Old Sony Mini system in the garage, various table radios elsewhere

That sounds very decent!

The thing I love so much about my second system (Marantz 8005 SACD, Audio Synthesis Passion, Leak Stereo 20 and JR149s) isn’t just that it is a seriously good little system by any benchmark, but the contrast with the big full-range Lockwood Tannoy rig. They each have their own different perspective on the music and I honestly don’t know which I prefer. For decades now I’ve loved huge studio monitors to fill a room and tiny mini-mnitors in the extreme near-field and not had a lot of time for the ‘normal-sized’ stuff in between so owning good examples of both system genres makes total sense for me. I find some music favours one, some the other, some sounds great on both, so by the time I’ve got to know a piece across both systems and likely headphones too I feel I know it well. I would only return to a single system if there really was no conceivable option to run two.

Mine isn't such a big contrast as yours, because I used active Linn Kans in the main rig! But I do run 5 x turntables; 2 x belt drives, 2 x idler drives and 1 x direct drive, so it is interesting hearing the contrasts between those.

That sounds very decent!

Tony, do you play much music through the Klipsch or are they purely on TV duty? Just wondered where they fit in between the Tannoys and the 149s.

I have a Nait 2 in my wardrobe which makes a guest appearance occasionally!

I agree with Tony about speakers, either BIG, or small monitors, for the main, no ports!

Over time my office system has evolved to become as good as the lounge one.

Key requirements for the office were instant remote control from my PC, minimal compromise on sound quality, and desktop speakers. It took five years but I am there now. The lounge system has a couple more sources and bigger speakers, not sure it is better.

Since I spend up to eight hours a day with the office system I saw no reason why it should be anything less than excellent.

second system is rega kytes , rega vulcan sub, rega brio, fed from either the tape out of the main system - so i can play records and digital through the naim dac or from a local airport express and amazon echo dot

Since I spend up to eight hours a day with the office system I saw no reason why it should be anything less than excellent.

Well, I'm not lucky enough to be able to spend that much time in the office (work etc), but I agree that we should aim high and it needn't cost the earth; ignoring the LP12 of course!

Second system is Meridian G08 CDP, Exposure 21 pre and 18 power amps, and those tiny Harbeth speakers the name of which I can never remember and can't be arsed to check, and Stax Lamda Pro headphones/earspeakers. Cabling is Exposure speaker cable, and whatever interconnects were lying around when I hooked the system together.

There's also a Magnum Dynalab tuner and an AR turntable, but neither gets much use these days.

Second systems (3 of them) all Telly orientated.

Meridian 596, Chord Hugo, Magnum Dynalab 102, telly, Chapter Audio integrated, Harbeth HL-K6ES

Telly, Pioneer DV989, Benchmark DAC1 HDR, Chapter Audio power amp, Harbeth HLP3ESRs

Telly, Sony BDP, NAD M51 DAC, Chapter Audio power amp, Quad 12s

Tony, do you play much music through the Klipsch or are they purely on TV duty? Just wondered where they fit in between the Tannoys and the 149s.

The TV room installation is pretty compromised, it isn’t a great sounding room and really the Klipsch could do with pulling out a little from the alcoves. It isn’t a bad system and is great for AV as voice is really clear and it has serious dynamic capability, but I far prefer music on either the Tannoys or 149s which are both setup for proper hot-seat listening in nice sounding rooms.

I don’t remember seeing a thread specifically about 2nd. Systems. I know that many of us have systems in another room and my current 2nd. System is in what I loosely call my office, in a small bedroom vacated when my son left home.

This one is the best 2nd. system I’ve had and it consist:

LP12/Kore/Lingo/Acoustic Signature Badged-AO modified RB250/Dynavector DV20XL

I also have a Norton AirPower, which one of these days I’ll get around to comparing to the Lingo.

Nakamichi 600 Cassette Deck

Naim NAC 42.5/ Avondale TPR4 modified Naim Hi-Cap.

The Amplifier started life as a NAP120, but when I bought it here on pfm, the amp bits had been stripped out and it had been converted to a snaps type PSU. So, using the original frame transformer and rectifier, I fitted NAM amplifier boards and an Avondale NAP110 PSU upgrade module.

The Loudspeakers are Mk 1 Linn Kans mounted on Sound Organisation wall mounts and the loudspeaker cable is Linn K20.

The Digital stuff is through a Toshiba Laptop/ M2Tech HiFace Two USB Interface Converter, through a Maplin DAC fitted with a Linear power supply.

I intend to rotate amplifiers through the system; I have 2 x NAC12 pre-amps, a NAC22/NAP120 and enough bits in my workshop to build at least 2 more Power Amps. I have a spare Nap250 sleeve and an empty case that I bought from Witch Hat, another set of Naim boards, a populated set of Avondale boards, and some blank Avondale boards too. So, much fun to be had if I ever find the time!

This system gets a lot of use, especially in the evenings.

The other point is, that a lot of it was bought here on pfm from the classifieds!

• The Linn Kore chassis.
• The DV20XL
• One of the NAC12’s
• The Nakamichi 600 Cassette Deck
• The NAC42.5
• The NAP120 Chassis.
• The NAP 120 power amp.
• The Linn Kans.
• The Sound Organisation wall brackets.
• The NAIM and Avondale amp boards.

I’ll try to get some pictures up at some point.

Nice 2nd system!

I have two!

One consists of a Rega P5 with a Michell Technoarm, Ortofon 2 m blue, Linn Genki, Linn Numerik/Apple TV, Linn Kairn, Linn Klout and pair of Royd Sapphires. I've put this setup in my bedroom.

The other consists of a Rega P5 with RB700, Ortofon 2M black, GT ref sub platter, Neo PSU, Linn Karik/Numerk/Apple TV, Linn Pekin, Linn Kairn 3x Linn LK140, active Ninkas... I will probably swap the LK140s for 2250s in this setup but it sounds amazing as it is and the tricked out P5 in this system is significantly better than the other one. This one is in my study space, it was the other way round until a couple of weeks back.

Well, I'm not lucky enough to be able to spend that much time in the office (work etc), but I agree that we should aim high and it needn't cost the earth; ignoring the LP12 of course!

I don't do that much work/study in my study space any more, it's more a hideaway for when my daughter is dominatthe living room... I spend a lot of time in there!:D

I have a pair of Elas driven from a Marantz amp in the TV room, but seeing as I never watch the bloody thing they don't get used, hence for sale.

I will keep the pair of Kytes I have though, I will find a use for them somewhere.

Over time my office system has evolved to become as good as the lounge one.

Key requirements for the office were instant remote control from my PC, minimal compromise on sound quality, and desktop speakers. It took five years but I am there now. The lounge system has a couple more sources and bigger speakers, not sure it is better.

This is interesting - what are the two systems?

MDAC+, Aries Mini, P3ESR and Mrspeakers headphones when needed. Compact and stellar sound.

Can also just use my qobuz HD subscription on iPhone via a Mojo DAC into the cans, just as good.

Chinese EL34 amp, Monitor Audio and borrowed CDP in the conservatory, DAB, tablet for internet sources.

Dining room will have DIY cardboard horns and a chipamp or maybe the A&E, tablet or AE or CCA source.

advertisement

Back