advertisement

Scones.

or scones
I wish you grockles would stay out of this. The basic flour ingredients have always been cheap in Devon and Cornwall as they were farming communities.

Years ago there were many grades of sugar, the white Tate and Lyles was cheap but there were cheaper alternatives back then.

I wish you grockles would stay out of this. The basic flour ingredients have always been cheap in Devon and Cornwall as they were farming communities.
and if they were a bit short, they could always cut the flour with floor sweepings, eh Mick ;)

Just googled 'cornish scones' and this is more or less what I get. Can someone explain me how to eat the things in a halfway civilised manner, without spilling it all over your lap ?
scones_9.jpg
With a spork or a splayd of course

Cheese scones with oxtail soup, dunk and eat, lovely.

There is a nice tea room we go to where they do a very nice scone with crystallised ginger, jam and clotted cream.

Pete

When on Exmoor after a long walk it’s into the tea room for 2 scones, clotted cream, and whortleberry jam, with a good pot of tea.
When in the Yorkshire Dales it got to be tea with fruit cake and cheese, either Wensleydale or Swaledale doesn’t matter 👍

Delicious home-made fruit scones with butter and raspberry jam cannot be beaten. Small bakeries can sometimes come close, supermarket and big stores invariably disappoint.

Just googled 'cornish scones' and this is more or less what I get. Can someone explain me how to eat the things in a halfway civilised manner, without spilling it all over your lap ?
scones_9.jpg

Use a cake fork or a knife to divide into manageable pieces, to divvy up the cream and jam amongst them.

It's not obligatory to bite into them as is.

So, doesn't rhyme with alone, atone, bone, crone, drone, hone, phone, Rhone, stone, tone; or with done.

But I can eat one scone, then it's gone and I have none.
Round my way the disagreement is less about which is correct and more about which is the posh one.

I maintain that the none-variant is posh, and use the alone-variant myself. Whereas my other half is the other way around.

So to read from Mick P (who I assume knew her or something) that her late maj was a none-er feels like welcome vindication. And I shall be pleased to inform my partner that she is clearly a snoot.

The pronunciation of "scone" reveals nothing more or less than what part of these islands you (or your parents) grew up in:
scone_rhyme_with_gone.png

The Southern two thirds of Ireland is very much a stronghold of the "bone" variant, and that's exactly what I say.

I also agree with @Cheese ... they are my least favourite type of baked food: even fresh from the oven I find them chalky and too dense. They are, however ubiquitous here: pretty much every café sells them, and sometimes in smaller places it's the only thing on offer...

The Christie Hospital cafe in Manchester used to do some of the very best scones you could buy. Mrs P-T, who works there, used to bring a couple home for a weekend treat once in a while. Not the same these days, but still decent.

Round my way the disagreement is less about which is correct and more about which is the posh one.

I maintain that the none-variant is posh, and use the alone-variant myself. Whereas my other half is the other way around.

So to read from Mick P (who I assume knew her or something) that her late maj was a none-er feels like welcome vindication. And I shall be pleased to inform my partner that she is clearly a snoot.
I never spoke to HM face to face but I was part of a team who were in regular contact with the Palace team over the issue of stamps.

The pronunciation of "scone" reveals nothing more or less than what part of these islands you (or your parents) grew up in:

More a case of "Same old, same old" imho.

The top 2/3 (ish) of the UK gets it right, the South gets it wrong. 'Twas ever thus. ;)

advertisement

Back