advertisement

Scones.

Cheese

Bitter lover
There are many typical aspects of the UK I really like. Scones aren't one of them.

They are yucky.

I have never had an English granny, admittedly the scones I tried all came from various shops, from duty free to Marks & Spencer. The sheer amount of butter locates them in sort of a black hole between bread and pastry, elegantly combining the disadvantages of both.

I could easily live without them. But my girlfriend can't walk by without buying when she detects some, as they remind her a TV series she regularly watched when working as an 'au pair' in Edinburgh. Still, as seen in so many households, Madam tires of them after one or two bites, and choking them down ends up being the man's job.

Any thoughts on scones ?

Last edited:
Delicious loaded with butter, clotted cream and jam.
The order doesn’t matter.
Yes it does if you are from Devon or Cornwall. Wars have been fought for less. Jam first in this house, my OH grew up in Saltash.

Anyway the big question is, scones or scones? "O" as in gone, or as in bone?

Cheaper supermarket ones can be very claggy, and lots taste far too much of baking soda.

That apart, sweet or savoury, the fresher from the oven the better............. Anchovy or really good cheese scones really do take quite a lot to beat.

Also easy to make and probably work best if made with butter milk as the liquid.

Yes I am from Devon and the arguments over this are ludicrous. Old ladies with blue rinse can go ballistic over the Devon Vs Cornell way of eating scones. Half the truth is that historical events are the True reason for Devon vs Cornwall just like Lancashire Vs Yorkshire war of the roses.

We pop out for afternoon tea in various hotels quite often when out and about and despite the ludicrous price tag, everyone should partake of it in the Ritz, it is a brilliant occasion but there is a strictly enforced dress code. The Randolph in Oxford is pretty good and well worth a trip.

We prefer the Cornish way of eating scones despite being Devonian but can't be bothered to argue over it.

I don't like cheese scones, cheese, I prefer fruit scones, cheese, with homemade jam and clotted cream, which if you think about it is but a step away from cheese, but the difference that small distance makes, cheese...

Yes it does if you are from Devon or Cornwall. Wars have been fought for less. Jam first in this house, my OH grew up in Saltash.

Anyway the big question is, scones or scones? "O" as in gone, or as in bone?
Indeed! Is it regional, or class war? Or making foreigners feel foreign, like Worchester/Worchestershire sauce?

Cobblers

bd97274ce5f2f219fff58387a414ec4c.jpg

advertisement

Back