advertisement

SCANSPEAK D2010/851100 BEING DISCONTINUED LAST CHANCE TO ORDER

colasblue

pfm Member
I've just found out that the D2010/851100 as used in Naim DBL's SL2's NBL's and Axess/Axent is discontinued.

Similarly the D2008's used in SBL's, IBL's and Linn Speakers

Last chance to order from the final production run for the 2010's is today (just got my order in).

The new replacement drivers will probably work OK but won't fit into the existing space quite so easily so better to have some spares!

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/d...ive-units/scanspeak-tweeters-drive-units.html

851100 for SBL's and 851200 for early Kans.

Younger Kans use a Hiquphon OW1-92 unit
I heard in the past that some have tried the (not necessarily this one) Hiquphon unit for a more up to date replacement for the SBL's. Not sure what the outcome was.

Anyone know how much of a hassle it would be for a dealer to fit a pair of tweeters to some SBLs?

I just rang my local Naim dealer (Music Matters) and they said they would only be interested in fitting if they also supplied them. So I’ve asked them to get back to me with a price, and am waiting to hear back. But I suspect Naim may gouge on the supply price vs ordering from Falcon.

So I’m wondering whether another dealer in the Birmingham-ish area might be happy to fit them at reasonable cost if I order them from Falcon, or whether all the dealers will feel similarly about only fitting if they also supply.

I heard in the past that some have tried the (not necessarily this one) Hiquphon unit for a more up to date replacement for the SBL's. Not sure what the outcome was.
Why should tweeters fail? Poor design? They’re only moving coil devices, and if they’re used within their design parameters, where is the problem?

Nero
Here are the common reasons for tweeters to fail

playing them too loud
Inadvertently connecting them to the mid or bass amps - probably the most common reason
Switching on the power amps before the pre amp and Snaxo

I’ve lost tweeters on Briks and DBLs for all 3 of these, mostly on Briks

lyndon

I have a set of Naim spec for SL2 sitting in my box of naughties (a wife doesn’t need to know about everything)even came with a syringe of Holymer blue, god knows how that got through the customs X-ray mechine.i was thinking of doing a change out on my 08 SL2, got to the point they sound fine so why fix something when its not broken? I had read that changing tweeters out after 10 years or so gives a good refresh. Then i got to thinking possibly the a refresh of ferrofluid and seems how these tweeter have none. Anyway i guess they could be an investment not withstanding what they cost me just to get them here to NZ!
Unsure what the shelf life of none ferrofluid filled tweeters would be?

Nero
Here are the common reasons for tweeters to fail

playing them too loud
Inadvertently connecting them to the mid or bass amps - probably the most common reason
Switching on the power amps before the pre amp and Snaxo

I’ve lost tweeters on Briks and DBLs for all 3 of these, mostly on Briks
I must have been extremely lucky in the 40+ years of hifi ownership without ever blowing a driver (touch wood). The closest is a seized woofer due to a careless drop. If tweeters repeatedly blow, something is not right either with the kit or user.

With Naim active amps I think it's more of a lack of soft start circuit, or perhaps that buzz yo get at switch off. I's at a frequency tweeters won't much like and they can get exposed to the full measure of it.

I'm tempted to fit both soft start and speaker protection circuits to my tweeter amps now the consequences of a blowout seem to have increased!

Anyone know how much of a hassle it would be for a dealer to fit a pair of tweeters to some SBLs?

I just rang my local Naim dealer (Music Matters) and they said they would only be interested in fitting if they also supplied them. So I’ve asked them to get back to me with a price, and am waiting to hear back. But I suspect Naim may gouge on the supply price vs ordering from Falcon.

So I’m wondering whether another dealer in the Birmingham-ish area might be happy to fit them at reasonable cost if I order them from Falcon, or whether all the dealers will feel similarly about only fitting if they also supply.
I first received SBL tweeters (Naims fault) firstly, they had a block of brass glued to the back of them so not something I believe you can buy off the shelf, i think they are still available from naim via a dealer. If you PM me your email im happy to send some pics of the Installation instructions. Got an old dealers manual in my box of bits. Actually i can even have a go at scanning to PDF but im unsure how successful that would turn out? You will need that Hylomar blue stuff.

Why should tweeters fail? Poor design? They’re only moving coil devices, and if they’re used within their design parameters, where is the problem?

You can kill them but they can also just die. They are mechanical devices. Primary reason the'll expire is the very thin lean-out wires from the voice coil to the basket/surround. This vibrates, bends when the driver is working and eventually can fatigue, stiffen and snap.

Killing them by accident seems far more common but sooner or later they will die of natural causes.

Younger Kans use a Hiquphon OW1-92 unit

Remember that these Hiquphon units are a drop in replacement for the D2008 used in the early Linn and Naim speakers. Same physical dimensions, sensitivity and electrical characteristics so a straight swap if you're stuck. Yes, they sound a bit different but they're both good and both have advantages and disadvantages. Just another option to keep in mind.

Assuming you have an old pair it's possible to salvage and re-use the dampers. It's also necessary to glue round the edges of the 2008's. No such complexities with the 2010's though.

One slight issue with pairing is that scanspeak had changed the dome fabric last time I bought one so it wouldn't pair well with the other one. It was a short lived problem since the other one failed very shortly after but I'd have replaced it anyway.

I suppose the message is that if your tweeters are more than a few years old don't just get a single spare.

Hmmm should I order a set as my SBLs have nos drivers and just had the paxo overhauled by Winslow. The tweeters are the only original parts lol. Just trying to find the £150 just now

I first received SBL tweeters (Naims fault) firstly, they had a block of brass glued to the back of them so not something I believe you can buy off the shelf, i think they are still available from naim via a dealer. If you PM me your email im happy to send some pics of the Installation instructions. Got an old dealers manual in my box of bits. Actually i can even have a go at scanning to PDF but im unsure how successful that would turn out? You will need that Hylomar blue stuff.

Oh that’d be great, thanks a lot - even if I don’t do it myself, the instructions would no doubt be v useful for whoever does.

I’ll drop you a pm in a sec.

With Naim active amps I think it's more of a lack of soft start circuit, or perhaps that buzz yo get at switch off. I's at a frequency tweeters won't much like and they can get exposed to the full measure of it.

I'm tempted to fit both soft start and speaker protection circuits to my tweeter amps now the consequences of a blowout seem to have increased!
I've never thought it a good idea to connect an unprotected power amp directly to a delicate thing like a tweeter.

advertisement

Back