advertisement

SBLs

Was there not a thread years ago about fitting larger scanspeak tweeters that brought some improvement? Am sure it meant alterations to the crossover as well, but if you are going to replace them is it worth a go?
I believe this is what Audio42 did with their modified SBL and new crossover. The argument is that a 1" tweeter is a better match in the crossover region to an 8" woofer.

My medium-long term plan is to upgrade to bigger tweeters, and then power my SBLs with Hypex Fusion FA122 plate amps, which will give me complete flexibility to experiment with the crossover.

I believe this is what Audio42 did with their modified SBL and new crossover. The argument is that a 1" tweeter is a better match in the crossover region to an 8" woofer.

My medium-long term plan is to upgrade to bigger tweeters, and then power my SBLs with Hypex Fusion FA122 plate amps, which will give me complete flexibility to experiment with the crossover.
I wouldn't go the Hypex route, I have a couple and use them to run a pair of subs one has failed all ready and if you check out the long running thread on DIY audio you'll see there's lots of issues.I did try running a pair of Gale 401's full range with them and was not to impressed they are univollving or boring to listen to especially if you come from Naim style amps.
The SBLs are a flawed design because they try to marry an 8" to a 3/4" tweeter.The tweeter needs to be crossed high but the bass response is well down off axis leaving a hole in the response.This is compounded by the fact you are forced to listen off axis by the need to position against a wall.A 1" can cross lower but really you need a bigger one something like the Blisma.You then need to redesign the crossover,you could try an active analogue filter but results can't be guaranteed.I would just leave them as they are if you enjoy them then tweek the crossover with nice parts or move on to something better.

I worked from home today to get a proper listening session in, from ~9am through to now, so a fair amount of time to judge performance.

My opinions are probably biased by the time and effort put into them as it usually the way with any DIY kit, but it's hard not to be excited about what they do. I bloody love them :) I only really listen to rock music, and listened for most of the day at volumes only allowed when you have the house to yourself which also helps, but they are easily the fastest sounding / most dynamic speakers I've had here. In short, they rock.

They are perhaps a little strong in the treble, but I'll leave them as-is until I get used to them a bit more, and presumably the new crossovers and tweeters will need to bed in a bit and settle down too.

I can imagine the trebles will need to settle. SBLs can be a little strident though if they are not in the right mood, same for NBLs, usually down to recording where other speakers in my experience can be more forgiving. When all is said and done though, SBLs are a great speaker I've had two sets in my time, and would get another at the right price.

The tweeters benefit from the foam grilles too.

Ssssh, don't tell anybody, a little toe-in doesn't hurt either

Last edited:
I can imagine the trebles will need to settle. SBLs can be a little strident though if they are not in the right mood, same for NBLs, usually down to recording where other speakers in my experience can be more forgiving. When all is said and done though, SBLs are a great speaker I've had two sets in my time, and would get another at the right price.

I have heard them sounding strident but only at a dealer where I was pretty sure they were not set up right :)

Mine don't sound strident at all, may partly be room effect though I've had them in 3 different rooms in three different houses.

Tim

I was warned by Wimslow when I had my SBL crossovers serviced/upgraded that they could sound a bit harsh until everything had settled in.

cant speak for the SBL's as still not using mine, but when I had Intro's with the scanspeak tweeters putting foam into the grilles did remove some harshness without taking away the energy and crispness of the treble

To be clear I love SBLs. But if a recording was not up to it, well that was that. Some of led zeps work for instance which had pretty shady recording never sounded great on SBLs (IMO of course)

6 monthly update:
My daughter is now tall enough to poke in the tweeters.

Why is it that soft dome tweeters are so fascinating to children?

Well if that has already happened and you can't "suck" them out again they will need to be replaced. I read somewhere that the D2008s will be discontinued or changed soon but I don't know if that's true or not - perhaps ask Falcon Acoustics.

As an option there are Hiquphon OW1, I saw earlier in the thread that you thought your SBLs sounded a bit strong in the treble but don't know if that settled down over time. I own a few pairs of Linn Saras, 1 Pair uses the D2008, another Linn branded Hiquphon D20-LP1, and another pair a new matched pair of Hiquphon OW1s, all I can say is that in my various Saras the Hiquphon made D20-LP1s and OW1s are noticeably smoother and calmer, the D2008s sound a little bright in comparison. Personally I prefer the OW1s but I have no idea how they would work in your SBLs and they are not cheap so hardly something you can afford to just "give it a go", but you could talk to Oskar at Hiquphon and I am sure this is a change that other SBL owners have made.

Then GET SOME GRILLS...... or sell your child :)

They are very easy to suck out again to be fair, she's done it about 10 times so far and thankfully there doesn't appear to be any long term damage... a lock on my office is probably te easiest solution!

Treble-wise I've either got used to it, or they've settled down.. not sure which but I love them in this room. I've supplemented them with a BK elec subwoofer also and it seems to hang together perfectly.

advertisement

Back