advertisement

SBLs

There's a few surfaces which need another coat or 2 of lacquer but I've piled them up loosely just to get an idea of how they'll look

20211019-215918.jpg

I'm happy with them! They aren't perfect if you look closely but for a home office they're definitely acceptable. I've got a couple of days booked off soon so should be able to wire them up properly and give them a listen...

20211019-215953.jpg

I’ve always liked the look of SBLs and I have to say these are no exception, great work, Fraser. Looking forward to your thoughts now on the sound.

Thanks Brian

I love the look of them too. I struggle to think of any speaker i've ever had which are less imposing in the room than these.

I have to say buddy, you’ve really pulled it out of the bag with these. Hard to believe it’s the same pair that were the subject of an “interesting eBay auction” thread a few weeks ago. They’ve gone from some of the worst looking SBLs to the best, I’d definitely give room to them!

Thank you, gents

Progress has grind to a hault on these as house renovation has taken over... looks like we're hosting Xmas this year and there's a whole floor to be plastered, painted and furnished before then. We have managed to stop water leaking through the kitchen ceiling so that's a start :D

Thank you, gents

Progress has grind to a hault on these as house renovation has taken over... looks like we're hosting Xmas this year and there's a whole floor to be plastered, painted and furnished before then. We have managed to stop water leaking through the kitchen ceiling so that's a start :D
Ouch, that’ll eat time like nobody’s business!

Haha! My wife must have a slightly different temperament to yours if that would end well in your house....

Today I moved the crossovers over to the wooden box. Not quite as tidy wiring-wise but looks OK

20211029-135511.jpg

20211029-150928.jpg

I'm unsure about the best way of putting the system together... I'd like to situate the amp and crossover in the garage adjacent to the listening room to keep them out of sight, and install a brushed socket to run the wires through. This would mean a cable running from the preamp to the power amp of around 6m in length. Is that likely to be an issue?

Depends on what the pre and power are but for most solid state designs it should e OK and with Naim it definitely will be.

Look superb.

From the photos (19th Oct), the gaps between the boxes look a little small, particularly the top to middle? But maybe just for the photos?

Depends on what the pre and power are but for most solid state designs it should e OK and with Naim it definitely will be.

Thanks... The power amp is a rotel RB971, and the pre is the phono outputs of a fostex HPA4BL if that means anything!

In the photos from the 19th that's the cabinets stacked on top of each other to get an idea of how they look i.e not properly set up, hence the little gaps. I'm yet to actually put them together properly as this floor is getting plastered on Monday so will need to clear everything out anyway.

advertisement

Back