advertisement

Sayonara squeezebox, I never knew ye...

Bluetooth makes a lot of sense to me now that most new phones and devices use aptX rather than the older a2dp system. aptX is plenty good enough means no need for proprietary mesh networks (sonos) or over saturated wifi networks, and customers do not like more wires than they think they need.... all in all the move to Bluetooth better reflects the direction musc to streamer technology is heading.

So, I wasn't very clear, sorry. That part was very cool, and it did always work just as described. In fact, it was so cool I now have a Squeezebox Radio in the bedroom for that purpose. A spiffy red one.

The issues I had all came from library management and recognition and external hard drives and "upgrades" to the software that made things stop working. When it came to playing my stored music, even the Logitech support folks couldn't figure it out, and this in more than two dozen interactions over 7 or 8 months. That was all with an SB3, now long since sold on ebay.

It's really strange how people's experiences vary so much. I have rarely had any problems and then only when loading broken "testing" software. I have four and they all work fine. I use linux servers, windows on occasion. Ah well.

Most of my networking is wired though.

Wired network here too, with 3xSB3 2 x Controllers and one Boom, server is Mac.

After much fiddling I resorted to something like 7.4 or so which is more or less stable, refuses to ever recognize my "now Playing" Plugin, (gave up on that) and now after years of not changing a single thing every now and then simply forgets it's supposed to sync these damn players. From time to time that setting is simply gone and back to no sync at all.

Great hardware, shit software.

I am more worried about sourcing batteries to the Controller (Duet) that I use with my Touch...is it standard format or Logitech special?

The whole point of the device is that it is small, silent and cheap to rum. Slimdevices was was the device manufacturer was called.. A netbook running windows 7 is just wrong. bloatware of huge proportions.

Clicked on this thread not knowing what a 'Squeezebox' is/was. Bloody hell... still don't know what one is or what any of you are talking about after 5 pages of reading.

I thought all the digital lark was meant to save you from hassle. I don't even know what 'maintaining a NAS server' means but it sounds more of a ball ache than flipping a record over.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread here. I've got a digital radio if that helps .

I'm away to put a record on...

i am starting to hate Logitech and thinking about buying a spare SBT ...

maybe there is a hope and they will present soon a new network streamer without screen - "Squeezebox don't touch" ?

The whole point of the device is that it is small, silent and cheap to rum. Slimdevices was was the device manufacturer was called.. A netbook running windows 7 is just wrong. bloatware of huge proportions.

...but what about a cheap second hand laptop plugged into a dac? Isn't that just as good or am I missing something?

And how much time do people spend on fiddling with your record player, tonearm and cartrigde...it's not just "flipping a record over".

Clicked on this thread not knowing what a 'Squeezebox' is/was. Bloody hell... still don't know what one is or what any of you are talking about after 5 pages of reading.

I thought all the digital lark was meant to save you from hassle. I don't even know what 'maintaining a NAS server' means but it sounds more of a ball ache than flipping a record over.

Running 2 x SBT (Hifi/Kitchen) and 1 x SBR (daughter's room). Am thinking of buying another one of each before they all go. Thanks for letting me know.
Disappointed I didn't take advantage of the latest amazon offers. Doubt they'll be around again...

We run a few squeeze boxes, two radio, one duet, two boom, one touch, and now squeezeplay.

Herself has just ordered a further radio on news of its demise and I will blag a couple of touchs for bodging if the price gets low.

I love the touch and it has a lot of further potential once suitable surgery is implemented but blimey it is quite a task getting the back on again if you pull the screen ribbon out :eek: and rather tight inside for additional parts.

So I will happily pay £50 for an obsolete touch.

...but what about a cheap second hand laptop plugged into a dac? Isn't that just as good or am I missing something?

yes, but it's too late to explain.

It's all in the head, you either like the things or not.

It's difficult to explain why I don't use a netbook rather than a squeezebox.

Perhaps it's like the difference between a ford cortina estate and a Lancia HPE. They both do similar jobs, bu one is more elegant.

PS - This is only slight rambling. it's an in joke.

The hpe looked great went great, but fundamentally flawed and now completely redundant. The cortina just does the job. Not very well, but reliable.

I think they are at best mediocre, and the one with the screen on the bit that actually sits over by the hifi utterly pointless.

I guess I missed this bit where everybody thinks they are audiophile?
The SBT is remarkable. Even more so that it's cheap.

ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

Well played, Sir, well played.

And how much time do people spend on fiddling with your record player, tonearm and cartrigde...it's not just "flipping a record over".

No seriously, I just flip them over and then put another one on if I'm lucky enough to have that much spare time. No fiddling at all.

advertisement

Back