advertisement

Sayonara squeezebox, I never knew ye...

So, is this a good time to offer a used SBT up for sale? I am open to offers.

Give you £20. Seriously, its an antique. Why would you bother? Difficult to use, lo-fi etc. etc.

Actually, if you give me £20 I'll take it off your hands and give it a decent burial :D

I've worked for a few companies like Logitech: acquire, absorb staff required to maintain IP, asset strip the IP and make wonky mash ups of the bits they bought the company for. Its the worst bits of Microsoft's mid nineties model. Computer Associates' and Corel. Google too. Ugh.

squeezebox was always going to remain a niche product sold to the picky nerd end of the herd. Asking mom and pop end users to buy, install and manage a - NAS are you fecking kidding me? It was hard enough getting people to put CDs in the slot the right way up....

Services like spotify and mog etc are now that slot

My SBT runs optical into a Meridian 808.2 DAC. I struggle to tell any difference between the SBT & megabucks transport on the Meridian.

The SBT cost me £140 delivered a few weeks ago. The alternative offerings are simply not as attractive as this. £8K for a streamer anyone? Plus the synchronisation etc. is another enhancement which is why I've just coughed for another two SBT.

Unless someone can point me at a viable alternative I'll say this be a daarrrrk dayyy for the audiophool world...

I never understood the SBT. I had a SB Classic for 2 years and bought the SBT. I went back to the SBC within a month. The screen wasn't big enough. Why touch screen? Horrible build compared to the SBC.

I have a mate who has sadly had to offload most of his gear due to being made redundant nearly a year ago but would love to get a Touch back into what's left of his system - in that scenario how much do you want for yours?
PM me if you can help please.
Dave.

If you read Erland's posts on the Logitech forums, he appears to have something under his sleeve. He believes the Logitech firmware can be replaced by an equally viable alternative and I'll not be surprised if he's already ahead of the game. I'd keep my eye on developments. SBT users need not be so pessimistic methinks.
Del

An open source server and more particularly open source firmware for the players would be good.

LMS does act as a upnp server.

I can also use bubble upnp to collect music from my mediatomb server and play it on my transporter.

The web gui says :-
The Rhythm of the Heat
0, (UPnP/DLNA)

So that's Ok then. It proves the player firmware is able to act as a client for upnp rendering from my upnp server. (Mediatomb) using bubble upnp on my smart phone. (I'm pretty pleased with this so I might actually buy the full bubble upnp app for android.

This means that logitech could do an app that woould work their new players with the logitech devices. If only they had half a brain that is.

An open source server and more particularly open source firmware for the players would be good.

LMS does act as a upnp server.

I can also use bubble upnp to collect music from my mediatomb server and play it on my transporter.

The web gui says :-
The Rhythm of the Heat
0, (UPnP/DLNA)

So that's Ok then. It proves the player firmware is able to act as a client for upnp rendering from my upnp server. (Mediatomb) using bubble upnp on my smart phone. (I'm pretty pleased with this so I might actually buy the full bubble upnp app for android.

This means that logitech could do an app that woould work their new players with the logitech devices. If only they had half a brain that is.

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but stuff like that shown above is exactly the reason I sold my Squeezebox and haven't considered another streaming solution since.

I know there's a substantial subpopulation for whom everything you've said is second nature; I'm just not one of them. I need my plug-and-play to be more plug-and-play. : - )

I'll repeat, this isn't a criticism of anything other than my own technical ignorance.

Maybe one of these would fill the void....
radio806T-large.jpg

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but stuff like that shown above is exactly the reason I sold my Squeezebox and haven't considered another streaming solution since.

I know there's a substantial subpopulation for whom everything you've said is second nature; I'm just not one of them. I need my plug-and-play to be more plug-and-play. : - )

I'll repeat, this isn't a criticism of anything other than my own technical ignorance.

The streaming stuff from the internet is just amazing if you like music. So many channels to have a dabble with. Then instead of streaming from the internet you tune into your own music. It's dead simple, honest.

If you can tune a radio ,you can tune an internet radio. It's just another way of sending a signal from one place to another.

Just done a blind comparison of my Triode USB SBT and my Linn DS into my MDAC. No audible difference at all, or a slight preference for the SBT according to my wife! So, just as they kill it, I convince myself it's a viable source for my system. Off to eBay to stock up on SBTs.

I think they are at best mediocre, and the one with the screen on the bit that actually sits over by the hifi utterly pointless.

I guess I missed this bit where everybody thinks they are audiophile?

Link, might be relevant

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-Comes-to-an-End-(quasi-official-confirmation)

"Logitech | UE Smart Radio looks like a SB Radio, behaves like a SB Radio
and is running almost the same software. But it's supposed to no longer be
a Squeezebox. It's Logitech's attempt at making the product ready for the
mass-market. Which means:

- simpler UI,
- less options,
- and therefore no more "geeky" LMS,
- and incompatible with anything SB (incl. mobile apps)

It'll run outside any existing SB environment (LMS, mysb.com), connected
to its own, new infrastructure.

"

The streaming stuff from the internet is just amazing if you like music. So many channels to have a dabble with. Then instead of streaming from the internet you tune into your own music. It's dead simple, honest.

If you can tune a radio ,you can tune an internet radio. It's just another way of sending a signal from one place to another.

So, I wasn't very clear, sorry. That part was very cool, and it did always work just as described. In fact, it was so cool I now have a Squeezebox Radio in the bedroom for that purpose. A spiffy red one.

The issues I had all came from library management and recognition and external hard drives and "upgrades" to the software that made things stop working. When it came to playing my stored music, even the Logitech support folks couldn't figure it out, and this in more than two dozen interactions over 7 or 8 months. That was all with an SB3, now long since sold on ebay.

I don't think that he Radio has a digital or analog out- you can only use the radio with its own DAC and speakers and everything in between, but I may be wrong. Also only seems to have a minijack input.

Link, might be relevant

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-Comes-to-an-End-(quasi-official-confirmation)

"Logitech | UE Smart Radio looks like a SB Radio, behaves like a SB Radio
and is running almost the same software. But it's supposed to no longer be
a Squeezebox. It's Logitech's attempt at making the product ready for the
mass-market. Which means:

- simpler UI,
- less options,
- and therefore no more "geeky" LMS,
- and incompatible with anything SB (incl. mobile apps)

It'll run outside any existing SB environment (LMS, mysb.com), connected
to its own, new infrastructure.

"

I don't think that he Radio has a digital or analog out- you can only use the radio with its own DAC and speakers and everything in between, but I may be wrong. Also only seems to have a minijack input.

yup, they've killed the digital out, so they've killed any concept of it being audiophile grade

I still use an SB2 in the kitchen fed by LMS on Mac Mini, but I don't really need it, as I can do the same stuff with an airport express. Shame really because it had some unique features - multi-room sync for instance.

not that I understand most of the above - but it looks like we'll have to go back to an old upright piano in the living room, then?

odd, coz I had my laptop (yes, I know it's becoming 'official' that these Are No Good for listening to digital music from, but still...) on this evening and music seemed to be making it to the speakers via the DAC thingy and amp pretty much ok.

advertisement

Back