advertisement

Sage coffee machine problem

Just buy a decent machine Sage coffee machines are shite.

Spend about £600 SH think the bold @AudioAl on here was selling a very decent machine not so long ago.

I've had a few decent machines the current one is an Elektra T1 commercial HEX machine (£3200 new), amazing thing, cost me £500 SH back in 2019, I had an issue with it last year (blockage) but I descaled it and it's be as good as gold since.

Has to be flushed before a shot but it's no big deal it could steam for Scotland though, takes about ten seconds to steam milk.

Some nice machines here

https://coffeetime.freeflarum.com/t/classifieds

I don’t want an industrial machine. I like the Sage because it’s compact, not expensive and (normally) makes a nice cup of coffee. Sounds like it would still be fine had I given it a little TLC (reckon the move to a hard water area caused the problem). I know so little about them I wouldn’t know what I’m looking at with a second hand machine!

I don’t want an industrial machine. I like the Sage because it’s compact, not expensive and (normally) makes a nice cup of coffee. Sounds like it would still be fine had I given it a little TLC (reckon the move to a hard water area caused the problem). I know so little about them I wouldn’t know what I’m looking at with a second hand machine!

Depends what you want, my machine is unbelievably easy to use however I go to a lot of customers who have one of those wee Nescafe machines, they make decent coffee too, but for proper espresso you need fresh beans, a very good grinder and a 9 bar dual boiler espresso machine or a heat exchanger machine.

Personally I don't drink espresso much I prefer milk based drinks or Americanos but spending £15 a week on coffee is mental I can make a decent coffee with milk for less than 50p a cup and I can take the coffee out with me if I wanted no idea why someone would cut about the streets with a cardboard cup of crap coffee from the likes of Starbucks/Costa etc but each to their own.

Here's my set up but it's not for everyone.

TUENRnG.jpg

I had the same issue with my Sage machine. Have you tried liquid descaler mixed into the water tank with the filter removed?
Gradually run it through the machine, alternating between the coffee part and the milk frother, leaving it to sit after each go for a few minutes to do its work inside the machine. It will take about 30 minutes to get through the tank doing this.

Afterwards, rinse the tank and run a couple of tanks of clean water through before using.

Bella barista gets my recco. Talk to them they are very helpful, but make sure you feed the machine with the correct water.

Jura can be very unreliable. We've had several commercial machines from them I our staff room, and IME they are quite fragile.

Just buy a decent machine Sage coffee machines are shite.

Spend about £600 SH think the bold @AudioAl on here was selling a very decent machine not so long ago.

I've had a few decent machines the current one is an Elektra T1 commercial HEX machine (£3200 new), amazing thing, cost me £500 SH back in 2019, I had an issue with it last year (blockage) but I descaled it and it's be as good as gold since.

Has to be flushed before a shot but it's no big deal it could steam for Scotland though, takes about ten seconds to steam milk.

Some nice machines here

https://coffeetime.freeflarum.com/t/classifieds

That one sold a while ago , I now have a ECM Syncronika coffee machine

https://bellabarista.co.uk/products/2020-ecm-synchronika-dual-boiler-espresso-machine

and a
Mahlkonig EK43 S Coffee Grinder, 98 mm Burrs

Also a Osmio water machine

I drink LOTS of coffee :D

That one sold a while ago , I now have a ECM Syncronika coffee machine

https://bellabarista.co.uk/products/2020-ecm-synchronika-dual-boiler-espresso-machine

and a
Mahlkonig EK43 S Coffee Grinder, 98 mm Burrs

Also a Osmio water machine

I drink LOTS of coffee :D

Very nice, I’ve a 73mm burr commercial grinder, a La Cimbali, I paid £170 for it, picked it from the north east of England, bought it from one of the members on the coffee forums uk site a few years ago he posts on that other site I posed the link to.

I bought the Elektra down that way too from a guy who was a bit of an Elektra nut he had a couple of the eagle machines and an Elektra hand tamper which he wanted £400 for beautiful thing though.

We were going through about a kg of beans a week until my son and daughter moved out it’s now down to a kg about every three weeks but I have at least two a day weekends it’s about four a day, 14g espressos and steamed milk.

I love it, really is one of life’s pleasures fresh coffee made properly in the house.

https://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/elektra-dynanometric-tamper-mpd/

Depends what you want, my machine is unbelievably easy to use however I go to a lot of customers who have one of those wee Nescafe machines, they make decent coffee too, but for proper espresso you need fresh beans, a very good grinder and a 9 bar dual boiler espresso machine or a heat exchanger machine.

Personally I don't drink espresso much I prefer milk based drinks or Americanos but spending £15 a week on coffee is mental I can make a decent coffee with milk for less than 50p a cup and I can take the coffee out with me if I wanted no idea why someone would cut about the streets with a cardboard cup of crap coffee from the likes of Starbucks/Costa etc but each to their own.

Here's my set up but it's not for everyone.

TUENRnG.jpg

That’s a beast! Lovely thing but way in excess of anything we need!

I had the same issue with my Sage machine. Have you tried liquid descaler mixed into the water tank with the filter removed?
Gradually run it through the machine, alternating between the coffee part and the milk frother, leaving it to sit after each go for a few minutes to do its work inside the machine. It will take about 30 minutes to get through the tank doing this.

Afterwards, rinse the tank and run a couple of tanks of clean water through before using.

Yep, that’s what I did, but used the Sage descaling program. I’m tempted to do it any and see if there is further improvement.

They are in a way but your lovely Elektra is inherently more than 4 times the price so it is not like with like.

Tim

Thanks, but the point is you can buy a decent machine for relative buttons SH, the newer version of the Elektra T1, with the push buttons, is £4200 on one of the sites I had a look at yesterday, my machine was manufactured in 2007 and I paid £500 for it, there's no way I'd pay over £4k for a coffee machine even if I had the cash to buy one at that price although that Victoria Arduino in white looks really nice but it's £5000 and the matching grinder is over £2k.

That’s a beast! Lovely thing but way in excess of anything we need!

Honestly you'd be surprised at how easy it is to use, with a decent grinder the coffee will be on an other level from the Sage.

Personally I think it's beautiful especially the Elektra 'badge' on the front of the machine which would be on display in a coffee shop but unfortunately on my set up it's hidden, the Elektra wing coffee machines are things of beauty though.

https://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/espresso-machines/elektra/

Honestly you'd be surprised at how easy it is to use, with a decent grinder the coffee will be on an other level from the Sage.

Personally I think it's beautiful especially the Elektra 'badge' on the front of the machine which would be on display in a coffee shop but unfortunately on my set up it's hidden, the Elektra wing coffee machines are things of beauty though.

https://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/espresso-machines/elektra/

I’ve no doubt there are many better machines than my little Sage. You get what you pay for etc. It does make better coffee than 90% of that consumed when out. Just made a cappuccino, it’s better than it was and milk is frothing. Going to pick up some more descaler and give it another go. If it doesn’t fully recover, I might look to go up a notch or 2, you chaps are excellent at spending other people’s money!

I’ve no doubt there are many better machines than my little Sage. You get what you pay for etc. It does make better coffee than 90% of that consumed when out. Just made a cappuccino, it’s better than it was and milk is frothing. Going to pick up some more descaler and give it another go. If it doesn’t fully recover, I might look to go up a notch or 2, you chaps are excellent at spending other people’s money!

I see these a lot in people's kitchens, decent coffee from them too.

https://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-krups-pixie-xn304t40-coffee-machine-titanium/p4247645

Contact the manufactuer and have the machine serviced.

I have a DeLonghi bean to cup machine and despite replacing the filter and carrying out descaling with the correct DeLonghi descaler at the required intervals, the steam/hot water wand still gets blocked up every few years (we live in a very hard water area which probably doesn't help). For £99, DeLonghi collect it, unblock as necessary, give it a full clean and service and ship it back to me. I'd be surprised if Sage doesn't offer a similar service.

Contact the manufactuer and have the machine serviced.

I have a DeLonghi bean to cup machine and despite replacing the filter and carrying out descaling with the correct DeLonghi descaler at the required intervals, the steam/hot water wand still gets blocked up every few years (we live in a very hard water :eek: area which probably doesn't help). For £99, DeLonghi collect it, unblock as necessary, give it a full clean and service and ship it back to me. I'd be surprised if Sage doesn't offer a similar service.

Is it well hard ! :D

advertisement

Back