advertisement

Sage coffee machine problem

Ponty

pfm Member
I have a Sage Bambino Plus coffee machine. Nice little thing, up until now. Milk isn’t frothing properly (and making some odd pump noises as it attempts to) and the coffee isn’t very hot. I’ve done all the cleaning cycles and it’s made no difference. It’s just over 3 years old and had a fair bit of use, probably 4 a day on average. I thinking it’s fooked, am I missing something obvious?

Wand descaled and tip cleaned with the pin. Good flow when purging. It works but it’s like it’s running at 60%.

In fairness, I’ve been slack in descaling regularly. Moved from a soft water area to a hard water area a year ago and not descaled since. The descale has made a difference but nothing like as good as it was only a few weeks ago.

In fairness, I’ve been slack in descaling regularly. Moved from a soft water area to a hard water area a year ago and not descaled since. The descale has made a difference but nothing like as good as it was only a few weeks ago.

OK, so there's a scale filter in the water tank that you are meant to replace every few months or you can use pre-filtered water or even both (meant to be bad for the taste) - otherwise you can expect it to go wrong in a hard water area.

Tim

OK, so there's a scale filter in the water tank that you are meant to replace every few months or you can use pre-filtered water or even both (meant to be bad for the taste) - otherwise you can expect it to go wrong in a hard water area.

Tim

Yep, we use a Britta jug to fill from which effectively serves the same purpose. I’m wondering whether I should run another couple of descalers through or do you think it’s gone beyond that?

Yep, we use a Britta jug to fill from which effectively serves the same purpose. I’m wondering whether I should run another couple of descalers through or do you think it’s gone beyond that?

A Britta filter will not prevent scale. It might slow down its destructive effects, but it won't prevent entirely. The only way to do that is to feed it with water with the correct mineral balance.

A Britta filter will not prevent scale. It might slow down its destructive effects, but it won't prevent entirely. The only way to do that is to feed it with water with the correct mineral balance.

Ah right, so I’ve probably fooked it?

possibly, might be worth a couple of descaling cycles.

we lost a machine (not a Sage) to scale whilst using Briita and then forgetting the descaling process.

We now use remineralised reverse osmosis water.

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/home-p...hRvItFmRYZlAlUj4ZOI8nQ06jAHDe2ghoCD8kQAvD_BwE https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/home-p...hRvItFmRYZlAlUj4ZOI8nQ06jAHDe2ghoCD8kQAvD_BwE

Christ, that’s getting a bit advanced! Just looked and can buy a new one on offer at £300. I like the machine and it (normally) makes very good coffee. Tempted to get another and look after it this time. Any other suggestions at similar cost?

Christ, that’s getting a bit advanced! Just looked and can buy a new one on offer at £300. I like the machine and it (normally) makes very good coffee. Tempted to get another and look after it this time. Any other suggestions at similar cost?

I would try to get it fixed. I've thought a bit about this after our Sage went wrong just at the end of its 2-year warranty. Sage was actually good about it and fixed it; but the fact is that these machines have quite a lot that can go wrong and are likely to need maintenance. They are expensive for consumer kit but still much cheaper than the pro machines; and I imagine the pro machines need a regular service too. Much better to get it fixed than chuck it for landfill. Or at least sell it on eBay "for parts" !

Tim

I would try to get it fixed. I've thought a bit about this after our Sage went wrong just at the end of its 2-year warranty. Sage was actually good about it and fixed it; but the fact is that these machines have quite a lot that can go wrong and are likely to need maintenance. They are expensive for consumer kit but still much cheaper than the pro machines; and I imagine the pro machines need a regular service too. Much better to get it fixed than chuck it for landfill. Or at least sell it on eBay "for parts" !

Tim

I agree it would be good to get it fixed. Good money after bad though? It’s also going to cost the best part of £15 a day in coffee in the meantime!

must be worth contacting Sage. I believe from the 2 Sage machines my brother had that failed, that there are no indi's that can repair a Sage, and that parts are only available through Sage themselves

must be worth contacting Sage. I believe from the 2 Sage machines my brother had that failed, that there are no indi's that can repair a Sage, and that parts are only available through Sage themselves

Hmm, Sage sent Coffee Classics out to fix mine and the guy who came said they could help independently. However their web site is thoroughly borked!

Tim

Just buy a decent machine Sage coffee machines are shite.

Spend about £600 SH think the bold @AudioAl on here was selling a very decent machine not so long ago.

I've had a few decent machines the current one is an Elektra T1 commercial HEX machine (£3200 new), amazing thing, cost me £500 SH back in 2019, I had an issue with it last year (blockage) but I descaled it and it's be as good as gold since.

Has to be flushed before a shot but it's no big deal it could steam for Scotland though, takes about ten seconds to steam milk.

Some nice machines here

https://coffeetime.freeflarum.com/t/classifieds

advertisement

Back