advertisement

sad day for coatbridge tannoy factory

Heartbreaking stuff, Tannoy are now basically just a brandname on Chinese-made Behringer junk.

PS #154 is interesting, I suspect that’s a device for refreshing tired alnico magnets.

Looks like anything for current Tannoy production gas gone which is no surprise really. Do we know where Prestige and Legacy model production will move to ?

Being an auction there will be no warranty with any of the items advertised. I guess if cheap enough some of the items are worth a bid but I can’t help but wonder why they’ve been left behind. The cabinets of course are a different matter.

Maybe five years ago a dealer on Gumtree was advertising a Perspex exhibition loudspeaker. He wanted fairly strong money but was unable to identify it. I recognised it as a Tannoy DC3000 cabinet and drivers which although not much use on its own would have provided some spares for the DC2000 I picked up a year or so later!

According to their website, all the 'high end' speakers are still described as UK made. Is this for existing stock?

sad to see yet another Scottish site disappear Rolls-Royce also will vanish from Scotland by July 2021

But the German and US sites are growing (or were prior to covid). This is not jobs fleeing to lower cost countries but jobs fleeing to countries that are better able to handle high tech engineering. Falling education, falling infrastructure and now red tape, delays, taxes, warehousing, etc... from brexit makes the UK an unattractive and difficult place for the high tech engineering industry.

Nah they offloaded work all over the world and a lot to save labour costs despite being the most efficient and highest standard site in the world

But the German and US sites are growing (or were prior to covid). This is not jobs fleeing to lower cost countries but jobs fleeing to countries that are better able to handle high tech engineering. Falling education, falling infrastructure and now red tape, delays, taxes, warehousing, etc... from brexit makes the UK an unattractive and difficult place for the high tech engineering industry.

Any industry looking to export, or which imports it’s inputs, is in for a exciting few years post-Brexit.

just spotted a magnetiser staion I helped build over 35 years ago :)

they managed to send a ferrite ring through the roof of the building with a similar one due to putting it in the machine upside down apparently !!!
Quite tempted by that. My watch used to lose about 20 minutes a day when I had to magnetise motor units for R&D

Nah they offloaded work all over the world and a lot to save labour costs despite being the most efficient and highest standard site in the world

I was an apprentice and an engineer at Royce's for part of the 70s and 80s. Old enough to have seen what it used to be post-war and to have watched it fade into what it has become at least from an engineer's perspective. I have also worked in Germany and certainly didn't return to the UK for work reasons! We had the option back in the 80s to maintain an infrastructure that would be required by high/medium tech industries of the future but opted not to do so. Not a lot we can do about it now.

Perversely, I suspect the low tech, low wage manufacture of luxury goods represented by something like Tannoy speakers is something that might start returning in a few years time. It will depend of course on whether we continue to be viewed by the rest of the world as a joke or manage to retain some kudos, our trading relationships with richer countries, how deep the growing crash turns out to be, etc... Despite the large number of negative changes that are happening there are likely to be a few positive ones. Not many but some (from the perspective of the 99% not the 1% of course).

advertisement

Back